Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

3rd party independant tear down results of a failed VQ motor.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 10:07 AM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
IMO, it is what you get. You never should have bought blocks with "Sin" grooves.
Seriously though, hope everything gets worked out.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:31 AM
Ohio G Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This makes me more than a little nervous.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by SAM@GTM
Let me help here so we don’t keep every one guessing, MRC is directing this toward us and to be honest I 'm glad that he is doing this because the community needs to know the difference between a professional and an amateur just remember there are always two sides to the story. So grab you popcorn and set tight, it’s going to be interesting. Now you may want to be smart and hold you opinion until all the facts has reveled, or if you wanna jump the gun and starting bashing, I guess I have no control over that, remember its the internet.

As far as pending legal action, this will go both ways .Julian I will take you on any time. To help you out I will pm you all the info for our agent of service so don’t waste any time.

We are in process of preparing an answer the facts will be stated. Stay tuned.

Sam

GT Motorsports
Sam i will reply to you one time and one time only. I posted the factual data from our "professional" engine tear down, what more can you contest without having offered to even look at the engine or resolve the issue? The first thing out of your mouth is always a "tuning related issue" and you stick to your story same time every time.
Here is some food for thought, we were building VQ motors locally since 2003. In fact my original motor we built in Ocotber of 2003 lasted until October of 2007 until we broke a stock oil pump revving it to 8000 rpms..Zero issues with any of the dozens of motors we built out here in house. Funny how the assembly line cash cow motors we purchased from you to save money and give our customers cheaper prices, 5 out of 6 had issues including the most recent one that is at another 3rd party tear down.

Being a professional is admitting when you make mistakes, you can not and will not ever admit error and will point the finger in every direction possible. You so far have not stood behind one single product we purchased from you including the most recent motor, that we agreed that "whover messed up, foots the bill" which I am sure you will wiggle out of that when the results come back..

You wouldnt even warranty cams that came apart in a customers motor due to material defect. There was visible air bubbles in the metal casting, yet you claimed that the Zinc content of the oill was not high enough to harden the cams.(that should have been hardened when produced.)
I have never seen someone come up with so many smoke and mirror excuses in my life. When MRC ****es up, we admit it and cover it...Period.

I am done replying to you.

Fact: Dave Zoni's 2006 motor you assembled for us, broke off oil squirters. Must be our amature tuning i assume that made the pistons touch the oil squirters.

Fact: Vino's 2006 rev up motor we had you build burned 4 qts of oil in between 500 mile break in oil changes. When dissasembled showed signs of unusual wear on the bearings including some damage on the bearings, zero sign of detonation. Sent for 3rd party inspection, which concluded that the improper piston to wall clearance and ring gap cause excessive consumption of oil. The valves on the heads were so gunked up witjh oil, that they needed to be replaced. Both 2 seperate engine builders agreed that the oil consumption from improper ring gaps and piston to wall clearance caused the engines demise, not tuning.

Fact: we have found motors to come from you, have inconsistant head stud TQ ratings varying from 65ft lbs to 105 flt lbs when checked.

Fact: you motors have come back with excessive metal material in the threads and had to be chased with a tap.

Fact: excessive debris and dirt have been found in your engines by SEVERAL different people.

Bottom line Sam, your assembly line production of motors is lacking quality assurance and your ethics are less than up front and honest. .
When presented with factual data, you dimiss those presenting you with it as "Amature" and call it a day. Looking foward you your long winded technical reply prepared for you by your engine builder with the use of WikiPedia.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Ohio G Club Member

Old 10-23-2008, 01:25 PM
Also forgot to add, the cams were sent out for inspection, and found to be a "material defect" and should have been covered under warranty, but sam did not cover it. Im still collecting professional data as we speak..

Last edited by Julian; 10-23-2008 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:32 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
*suscribed*

Old 10-23-2008, 02:17 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
this is a good one

Old 10-23-2008, 02:42 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
hahahha WELL WRITTEN post, julian. i cant wait for the reply from GTM.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:48 PM
<--12 More Years

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Subscribing! this is gonna be nasty. But the community should know the truth and the two side of the stories. All this time I have hear nothing but good from GTM, but they should take care it if they are responsible especially after you guys got some many motors from them.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:49 PM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Ya'll know who I'm rooting for, ain't nothing going to change my damn opinion, but should be an interesting thread..

Old 10-23-2008, 02:52 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
Now we are getting some details.

Julian - Thanks for bringing this topic to the attention of your fellow VQ owners.

Sam - Thanks for stepping in and telling us it is directed at you to stop our guessing. We are anxiously awaiting your reply.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:58 PM
Honestly my intent was never to bash Sam or GTM in any fashion, in fact I did not wish to state the name of the shop, to keep from starting a flame war. In fact I still am not bashing Sam in any fashion, he is the one who called us "amateurs" in his first post, where he owned up to being the shop in question.for what reason I do not know.
I want to keep this thread civil and informational, so we all may learn. I also did not want to jump the gun and post up several months ago despite Sam washing his hands of us. I was waiting to gather my facts and have true "professional" opinions of what went wrong.
I posted up factual information. However I am sure Sam will contest it with long winded posts on how I tuned too lean or too rich yadda yadda yadda.. Because we all know that only Sam is the only one in the universe capable of tuning a high HP car, and the rest of us are all hacks and amateurs.
The bottom line is we were sold 6 motors, 5 had issues. None of which were covered by the builder, and left upon our hands to fix at our expense for our customers. One of our customers was charge for new cams by GTM despite there being an obvious and undeniable manufacturing defect unrelated to install and tune.
Honestly i am tired of the "little guy" getting screwed over time and time again by big companies who make big claims, and dont back them up, even when proven wrong and presented with undeniable facts.
Im waiting to be accused by Sam of fabricating the entire report.

I have pages and pages of assembly and break down notes from TQ specs to cam lash/valve clearances that were too tight. I have a full arsenal of ammo collected for over 4 months. We have inspection reports,from top names in the import industry.
We are ready for war if need be....

Last edited by Julian; 10-23-2008 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:19 PM
Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
G35 Coupe
subscribed , grabbing popcorn

Old 10-23-2008, 03:49 PM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Wow this is going ot be an interesting thread. So far from what I have seen Julian has posted some very interesting information. I must say proof comes in true form from what I am seeing. I am subscribing to this thread!

Old 10-23-2008, 04:13 PM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenGoblin
Oh corse we know who you are voting for, but how hard is it to screw up a supercharger install. If you had them build the motor and then this happened to you I am sure you wouldn't be taking it so lightly.
Correct, I would be mad, but knowing Sam personally man to man he'll take care of me, if something happens to my build, he won't release it to me until its 100% running correctly, if there's actually a problem after, he shall fix my issue and get me running asap, I have no problems giving him my money and having him build me a motor if I decided to. Keeping it real, If there's actually a mistake or issue, heck I rather have that issue at gtm then any other shop out there cause that would be worser chaos.

Julian you do have a point and you do have somewhat proof, let see what Sam says, and Sam does have a point with amateur tuners, not aiming toward you but seriously 4/5 tuners out there especially here in so cal are amateurs when it comes down to tuning built built motors and high number FIs especially on a G/Z and thats fact, i had never seen more reliable built tt/sc set ups coming from anyone else besides Sam, duuuh thats why I took it to him!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 3rd party independant tear down results of a failed VQ motor.