Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

3rd party independant tear down results of a failed VQ motor.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JSpec350GT
To me, this is all just a talk since we haven't seen any solid proves (reports) from third party yet.

Both of you should provide a scanned 3rd party independant tear down results for us to see.
see post #1

this motor was sent out for 3rd party independant inspection by reputable engine builders
i won't post the rest to save space ... what more do you want to see?

Old 10-24-2008, 10:46 AM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
What seems to be really interesting at this point in this thread is that MRC has posted some facts while we are still awaiting a response from GTM. It sounds like a whole lot of issues are going to be uncovered especially if Forged or GRC cares to shed any light on this situation by chiming in . Booger seems to make an intresting point in regards to customer service questions that cant be answered...it would definately raise a red flag. What does the customer have to say about all this?

Old 10-24-2008, 10:51 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yea i dont understand why GTM wants to wait to all the results to come in. we can clearly see that the engine whose data we have seen was the builders fault

they must have a good reason and maybe it will make sense when we have all the facts

Old 10-24-2008, 11:41 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by Julian@MRC
Perhaps were the only shops NOT to cover up for you guys? I know Sharif had a few of your motors come apart on start up and never said anything, as well as GRD. In fact Why is it that Sharif no longer sells your engines?
Hey Julian,

We have talked about a lot of things in the past, but I have never said that a couple of GTM engines came apart on startup. Because that is not the case. Every single one started up just fine. Please don't put words into my mouth, or exagerate our conversations...please. I am staying out of this discussion for the most part. You and I are on good terms, and I would like to keep it respectful and keep it that way.

As I told you over the phone, several months ago, the main reason we stopped using GTM engines is becuase of the leadtimes and shipping costs, since we are on the other side of the country. And becuase we consume a lot of engines..sometimes 5 engines in a month or more, we just needed to bring things in house to turn stuff around faster. Do I feel better about doing the assemby in house? Yes! Does it save us and our customer's money? Yes! Can I keep a closer eye on what my guys are doing? Yes!
But that doesnt mean that GTM products are bad..not at all.

They have sold probably 100 or more engines, we have purchased at least 5-10 that I can recall...strokers...shortblock, and cylinder heads. The cylinder heads in my Time Attack car are GTM heads...over 3 years old now.

Now I am not going to sit here and say that GTM is perfect, or FP is perfect, or Julian is perfect. We are all human, and can all make mistakes. I am just trying to figure out how you got 5-6 bad engines from GTM, when very few others are having an reliability issues with the motors?

And lastly, GTM and MRC have a business relationship..correct? I find it hard to believe, that if Sam was approached with an issue, you would walk away from it. Why do you have to do all the blasting on the internet forums, instead of discussiing this privately and come to some kind of good solution?

Old 10-24-2008, 11:47 AM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by sharif@forged
And lastly, GTM and MRC have a business relationship..correct? I find it hard to believe, that if Sam was approached with an issue, you would walk away from it. Why do you have to do all the blasting on the internet forums, instead of discussiing this privately and come to some kind of good solution?
From what Julian said, it seems as if he has waited and talked to Sam to try to get things fixed with this current issue. Looks like GTM isn't giving a crap, but this is why they need to reply as soon as they can. They need to at least say SOMETHING if they want to defend themselves IMO.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:54 AM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
^Exactly. well put Canadian. I'm glad Sharif chimed in on this though. He also made a really good point and that was "Now I am not going to sit here and say that GTM is perfect, or FP is perfect, or Julian is perfect. We are all human, and can all make mistakes." I guess what this thread will all boil down to is who is going to take responsibility for the mishap. Why not both companies just split the repair bill get it fixed and the issue resolved?

Old 10-24-2008, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by SAM@GTM
We are still waiting on the inspection report to come back from the 3rd party independent inspection. We have been in a complete communication with them and the customer. We will have an answer ,You can count on ....

SAM

GT MOTORSPORTS
Just curious as to why you would be in constant communications with the 3rd party shop? I thought this was supposed to be independant, meaning viod of any outside influence like this. I honestly do not understand your great concearn and the need to conctact the shop doing the tear down repeatedly if not to bully and influence them like an 800lb gorilla god....
We let Rome pick the shop and simply dropped the motor off, that was te extent of our invollvement or influence in the deal..Almost seems as if your worried or have something to hide.
As we stand, you sent a set of pistons to Arias from one of the motors (you buy hundreds of sets of Arias pistons a year from them ) and their report stated the pistons ran lean and showed early signs of detonation. This was of course from a motor that lifted the heads when the boost was raised to 18psi with methenol. Blowing the headgasket would cause the pistons to have a washed look to them from being sort of steam cleaned.
However the issue was with only one piston that ate up the cylinder walls. Had we run the motor lean, there would be damage to the other 5 pistons, that was not the case.
Even in your report you contradicted yourself, and stated that the bearings showed no unusual signs of detonation or wear..But i thought according to Arias we detonated the one piston...Did we do this by magic?
FYI those injectors were sent out to RC and tested, they were 100% fine. So it was not an injector.
So as of now, you blamed me for one, I blamed you for one, the one with the broken oil squirters is undeniably YOUR fault, so lets see if this current one puts us up 3 to 1 in this matter..

Last edited by Julian; 10-24-2008 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:54 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
to the best that ya'll can, let's focus on this particular engine as opposed to a history of other engines and customers.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by drsifu1
to the best that ya'll can, let's focus on this particular engine as opposed to a history of other engines and customers.
Well there are 4 engines in question at this time, we will bring all of them to the forefront...I was mistaken myself it was 4 out of 6, the 5th one we had was the customers fault, hitting a belgum block and ripping his oil pan off and continuing to drive.
So as of now it a total of 4 motor in question.
Sam blamed us for 1
We blamed him for one
The one with the oil squirters broken off is no contest, his fault (refused to make good for)
and the last one is being tore down as we speak.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by sharif@forged
Hey Julian,

We have talked about a lot of things in the past, but I have never said that a couple of GTM engines came apart on startup. Because that is not the case. Every single one started up just fine. Please don't put words into my mouth, or exagerate our conversations...please. I am staying out of this discussion for the most part. You and I are on good terms, and I would like to keep it respectful and keep it that way.

As I told you over the phone, several months ago, the main reason we stopped using GTM engines is becuase of the leadtimes and shipping costs, since we are on the other side of the country. And becuase we consume a lot of engines..sometimes 5 engines in a month or more, we just needed to bring things in house to turn stuff around faster. Do I feel better about doing the assemby in house? Yes! Does it save us and our customer's money? Yes! Can I keep a closer eye on what my guys are doing? Yes!
But that doesnt mean that GTM products are bad..not at all.

They have sold probably 100 or more engines, we have purchased at least 5-10 that I can recall...strokers...shortblock, and cylinder heads. The cylinder heads in my Time Attack car are GTM heads...over 3 years old now.

Now I am not going to sit here and say that GTM is perfect, or FP is perfect, or Julian is perfect. We are all human, and can all make mistakes. I am just trying to figure out how you got 5-6 bad engines from GTM, when very few others are having an reliability issues with the motors?

Sahrif, I appologize for getting you involved. That was bad on my part.You are correct, you never told me directly about any issues, Im simply repeating leaks of information I heard from reliable sources from your shop, that have since severed ties with you. You are correct, it is not fair for me to state this information.I retract my statements, however I want you to know, that people who you "think" are in your corner, are really NOT in your corner. Take it for what it s worth next time you put your reputation on the line for them.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by Julian@MRC
Well there are 4 engines in question at this time, we will bring all of them to the forefront...I was mistaken myself it was 4 out of 6, the 5th one we had was the customers fault, hitting a belgum block and ripping his oil pan off and continuing to drive.
So as of now it a total of 4 motor in question.
Sam blamed us for 1
We blamed him for one
The one with the oil squirters broken off is no contest, his fault (refused to make good for)
and the last one is being tore down as we speak.

what was wrong w/ this one? do you think it was your fault?

Old 10-24-2008, 01:27 PM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
EDIT: Please continue your discussion via PM

Last edited by drsifu1; 10-24-2008 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:08 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
HELLos and Salutations,

My hope is that there is quick resolution and that both parties come to a mutually beneficial agreement.

We are a small and competitive community, with obvious alliances between some shops and blatant arch rivalry between others.. In the end the customer generally wins, not the shops.

Darren

P.S. -- have you seen how many peeps are viewing this thread right now?

Old 10-24-2008, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by GreenGoblin
So how do oil squirters come off?
Pistons hit them, from design flaw.The original VQ built motors had this issue but it was resolved by piston manufacturers years ago....This was surprising,to see this 4 years after this issue was resolved in the VQ community.

On a side note I just got an iteresting PM from an Admin warning me about my signature Pretty ironic how that happens eh... Look like the 800lb gorilla is trying all of their tactics to squash me and hide the truth from the VQ community at large.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:00 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SDGeneralCounsel
Did you not do the same thing to scott about the BC sports time attack car?
Though I agree with you, again this is not the place for this. Keep this thread on on topic.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 3rd party independant tear down results of a failed VQ motor.