The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Everyone: Check Your Oil!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Old 11-22-2006, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an 03 G35 with 35k miles. Bought it used and haven't had any problems. Just checked the oil and its fine. It had 26k mile when i bought it last Nov. I dont keep receipts for oil changes, i do it myself and write the date, milage, oil and filter type used in the back of the owers manual. I had a similiar problem with my chevy pickup. I had a complete transmission failure at 40k miles. Talked with the dealer and chevrolet, they both said since I bought the truck used and past the warrenty, they wouldn't cover it. In the back of chevy's owners manuals(our has it too) ther e is the "Auto Line" which is run the the Better Business Bureaus. You can call them and they will set up a case for you. There are some parameter...ie, less then 5 years old, no more than x number of miles. They were able to get chevy to pick up half of the cost of a replacement transmission. Dealerships and manufactorer expect most people to say ok and not push it any further. If you are having problems getting a dealership to fix your car, call infiniti, if that doesn't work...use the Auto Line in the back of your Warrenty Information Booklet. Hope this helps..

Terry Molidor

Old 11-23-2006, 12:12 AM
Lexus IS350
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So um, update...

I got her back She's filthy as a pile of dirt but still so damn gorgeous. Im grinning from ear to ear but the break-in process is killing me. Ive taken it to about 4200RPM, oops. Im so incredibly stoked to finally have the car back. Everything is in pristine condition. I plan on spending my saturday detailing the car examining for scratches since Ill be out of town the next two days for the Holiday.

Happy Thanksgiving all. Ill be checking this thread often to see how your cars are doing. GL Hexx

Old 11-23-2006, 07:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats Andrew!! I am about 500 miles into my second 1000 on my oil consumption test and I am already almost a full quart low.

Old 11-24-2006, 01:01 AM
I drop the G off at the dealership on Saturday and the engine replacement will start Monday morning. The service manager seems to think that we will have the car back by Thursday. We were originally told that the whole engine was being replaced, but Infiniti only approved the short block. I am not happy. They are going to check the top end for damage when they pull out the short block. If they find that the top end has been damaged then they will order additional parts and the car will be there for weeks. Here is a list of other work that they will be doing. The glove box is being replaced for the 2nd time, the sun roof is being fixed for the 2nd time, they are disassembling and checking the brakes for the 2nd time, and hopefully the allignment will be corrected after owning the car for 17 months.

Old 11-24-2006, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by OvaYahead
I have a 03 with 56k sucking up oil too. I complained about it at 30k when a o2 sensor burned up. I forgot the error code, but it was about left bank running rich.

I checked a spark plug and it had oil on it. I told the SM and he said not to check the plugs again, I can void the warranty. I was also told that it wasn't oil and nothing to worry about. WTF? Then i was told that i was lucky I only had a v6, the v8's burn up oil even faster.

Is my car still under warranty for this fix?

Yes you have a 4yr - 60,000 bumper to bumper
6yr 70,000 in the power train.

Old 11-24-2006, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by ISinCH
I drop the G off at the dealership on Saturday and the engine replacement will start Monday morning. The service manager seems to think that we will have the car back by Thursday. We were originally told that the whole engine was being replaced, but Infiniti only approved the short block. I am not happy. They are going to check the top end for damage when they pull out the short block. If they find that the top end has been damaged then they will order additional parts and the car will be there for weeks. Here is a list of other work that they will be doing. The glove box is being replaced for the 2nd time, the sun roof is being fixed for the 2nd time, they are disassembling and checking the brakes for the 2nd time, and hopefully the allignment will be corrected after owning the car for 17 months.
Damn bro. That's exactly what I am concerned about also. That's why I already stressed to my service guy and the QC guy that I want a long block. We will see what happens though.

Old 11-24-2006, 05:37 PM
i had the same prob, at about 11 thousand started to notice a loss of oil, took it to the dealer, they said it was fine. few weeks later same thing, took it to the dealer, dealer did a short block swap with no problems. i had meagan headers, injen ses dual catback, aem cold air, no
one at the dealer said anything. car runs great now.

Old 11-25-2006, 02:27 AM
Lexus IS350
Damn it feels good to be driving the G again. Best of luck guys. Dont settle for anything less than a long block

Old 11-25-2006, 04:15 AM
Originally Posted by ISinCH
Is the service manager at SAC Infiniti Katherine? I am 400 miles into my 1500 mile test and the oil is already halfway on the dipstick.

Old 11-25-2006, 02:32 PM
For anyone following this tread:

Mine’s a late build ’06 MT with just 2600 miles on ODO.
Between 1500 and 2600 miles 0.75qts of oil were consumed (monitored by me, off a cold engine). Basically @ 2600 miles I am 1.25qts low since original (new car) fill-up (per my dealer). Dealer filled me up to the top and I am coming back in 1000 miles to do another check. Dealer is doing oil consumption testing and is calling Infinity to report the problem while keeping my case open.

Per dealer’s unofficial comment – there seems to be a trend with this “issue” on MT cars. I’ll keep you guys posted on my progress. Brand new car

Old 11-25-2006, 05:13 PM
Lexus IS350
NorCalGRide, I think its too early to tell with your car. Youre still breaking the car in pretty much. The first 3000 miles are considered to be breaking the car in by most dealers. Obviously youre doing the right thing tho and getting an early start. Make sure that the dealer documents everything and you'll be on your way to a new engine.

Old 11-25-2006, 07:32 PM
NorCalGRide-The same thing pretty much happened to me. Brand new car burning oil like crazy. Before my first oil change I had to put 4 quarts total in my G. I am in the middle of my oil consumption test right now too. After the first 1000 miles, I was 1.5 quarts low. I am 500 miles into my second 1000 miles and I am almost a quart low after just 500 miles. I am anticipating a new engine very soon. I have just a little bit over 5500 miles on my engine right now.
BTW, an interesting thing that I noticed last night. On my way home from work, the freeways was practically empty. I don't get very many chances to open her up so I decided to punch it. The engine is still very strong but as soon as I got into the higher rpm range, I could literally smell oil coming through the vents of my G. And it was strong too. I was like wow. That's how bad the problem is that I could smell the oil burnng and the smell coming through my vents. I just had to shake my head.

Old 11-25-2006, 08:22 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Dang Hex, that's messed up being able to smell the oil burn like that. Hopefully this will be last 1000mi test for you, then they'll order your engine. Hope so for your sake.

Extreme...congrats on your new VQ . Must feel good to be back in her.
Here's a little tip I did while breaking her in. Set your REV to 4000, then the light will remind you not to go over that until she's past that looong 1200mi mark.
Then you can have fun again after that.

Old 11-26-2006, 04:24 AM
Lexus IS350
Ya, I set my REV light to 4K. That damn blinking red light just pisses me off. I want to open it up so badly but I cant just yet. I suppose I should start checking my oil again. Its been 100 miles

Old 11-26-2006, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Dang Hex, that's messed up being able to smell the oil burn like that. Hopefully this will be last 1000mi test for you, then they'll order your engine. Hope so for your sake.

Extreme...congrats on your new VQ . Must feel good to be back in her.
Here's a little tip I did while breaking her in. Set your REV to 4000, then the light will remind you not to go over that until she's past that looong 1200mi mark.
Then you can have fun again after that.
I hope they don't make me do another 1000 miles John. I just wanna get this over with already. My FI plans are on hold while this is going on.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Quick Reply: Everyone: Check Your Oil!