The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

WTF my G is so much faster what happened?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 03:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WTF my G is so much faster what happened?

Ok here is what i did yesterday. I had a check engine light on because of a cracked carbon filter and a tube was cracked that was going to it. I took it all apart replaced the tube and sealed the filter. Check engine did go off for a while but then came back on but at least there is no holes in the carbon filter now.
Second what i did yesterday was filled up with 93 octane instead of the usual 91 octane.
temperature was close to 0 F

Either way i ran best time ever with gtech ss of 5.68 0-60 and 14.3 1/4 at 97.5 mph
before I could not get belllow 6 sec and 14.65 was best 1/4 time (measured at 25 degrees F)

Before Gtech showed 180hp and 200 trq , Now its at 194 hp and 222 lb of torque,,, that is a big increase

What happened here I can't figure it out. Is it the gas, the carbon filter or the weather?

Last edited by infinitialex; 01-13-2007 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:15 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Gas and denser air VQ like the cold.

Old 01-13-2007, 03:19 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Jesus 0 degrees outside! ! That is what made the difference haha cold air is like steroids to a car. I wish here in florida it would get down past 67 Degrees so i can take the car to the track and run her.

-sean

Anyways good times!

Old 01-13-2007, 03:31 PM
I agree, I am breaking the rear tires lose (VDC on) easier with only quick take offs, not even pedal to the metal power launches.
You can feel the better throttle response with the denser air. Now is the time to do your runs for the lowest numbers.

Old 01-13-2007, 03:50 PM
well can i shave .5 seconds going form 25 F to 0 F?

Old 01-13-2007, 03:54 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Well considering you were burning 93 octane and you went from 25 degrees to 0 yeah its possible to knock .5 off.

-sean

Old 01-13-2007, 04:03 PM
ok,,,,now i got to install my skunk2 and see what happpens,,,but it so cold and i dont have a garage...

Old 01-14-2007, 06:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Its nearly 4am here in San Diego, just got home from a party and believe it or note its 27 degrees out there right now according to the G. Yes, I know thats not that cold to some of you but for us spoiled San Diegans thats COLD!

On the way home, it was like I was driving a totally different car. Crisp throttle response, longer and more solid pulls, hell first and second not only went by in a flash but they sounded so much meaner with a strong growl.

Even the gf mentioned how good the car sounded. Considering what a pig our G's become once they are all hot and tired from traffic it was nice to hit the streets and snap your head back. Considering tonights experience I might look into the isothermal gaskets for the intake plenums.

Its to bad we can't get the extra ponies year round, but then again I too far spoiled to give up the weather here.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:23 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by G35SanDiego
Its nearly 4am here in San Diego, just got home from a party and believe it or note its 27 degrees out there right now according to the G. Yes, I know thats not that cold to some of you but for us spoiled San Diegans thats COLD!

On the way home, it was like I was driving a totally different car. Crisp throttle response, longer and more solid pulls, hell first and second not only went by in a flash but they sounded so much meaner with a strong growl.

Even the gf mentioned how good the car sounded. Considering what a pig our G's become once they are all hot and tired from traffic it was nice to hit the streets and snap your head back. Considering tonights experience I might look into the isothermal gaskets for the intake plenums.

Its to bad we can't get the extra ponies year round, but then again I too far spoiled to give up the weather here.
You G's with dedicated summer rubber on be careful.....they don't work too well at those temps.....

That is cold for you guys......you must be freezin' your a$$ets off..

C.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
According to the forecast, I may see some of this. Trip through New Mexico and Arizona planned for next Friday/Saturday, and lows expected in the single digits.

Have all seasons, though, so no summer rubber for me.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:48 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I've noticed in sub 30 temps that my G sounds harsh, coarse, and not as responsive has it does in 30-50 degree weather. I think that too much cold air is too much of a good thing.

I think the main reason why his G35 was quicker was because he fixed a minor vacuum leak with the cracked tube and filter. The MAF is now allowed to deliver a more accurate air reading. ANY crack or leak in the intake tract will result in a loss of performance. If the leak is bad enough, the engine won't even idle.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by DaveB
I've noticed in sub 30 temps that my G sounds harsh, coarse, and not as responsive has it does in 30-50 degree weather. I think that too much cold air is too much of a good thing.

I think the main reason why his G35 was quicker was because he fixed a minor vacuum leak with the cracked tube and filter. The MAF is now allowed to deliver a more accurate air reading. ANY crack or leak in the intake tract will result in a loss of performance. If the leak is bad enough, the engine won't even idle.
I concur, I can't remember what it is, but when the air gets too cold, its still dense, but there is some other property that keeps an engine from performing at it's best. If I remember correctly, 45-65 degree weather is about the best.

But I can't find anything to back what I remember reading one time..

Old 01-14-2007, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by DaveB
Now the crack was in one of the tubes going into carbon canister at the rear right under the bumper. Anyone know of this would be a vaccum leak if the tube was cracked? My check engine light said something about vent control circuit being open. Anyone have more ideas on this?

Old 01-15-2007, 03:05 AM
Originally Posted by Msedanman
You G's with dedicated summer rubber on be careful.....they don't work too well at those temps.....

That is cold for you guys......you must be freezin' your a$$ets off..

C.
Here...here...it's been -1 to -6 here in Vancouver and I can slip anytime just making a gradual turn...just don't hit any ice and you should be ok...I never really knew what a difference tires made until this Winter...

Old 01-15-2007, 03:38 AM
I know exactly what happened - your car was trying to get the fvck out of south dakota

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: WTF my G is so much faster what happened?