G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

my g35 lotus elise... exige

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation my g35 lotus elise... exige

sss up,

went down to a ferrari dealership today to check out the ferrari california - yeah it's very cool car - suprisingly it's not much heavier than my g35 coupe but it just looks very intimidating...
went up close and personal and realize that everything is carbon and plastic like my g35 - except with very impressive numbers... $250K and some gain in hp and torque etc...

so went to check out the lotus elise since i can afford that and was going to pick one up june of this year til my mental girfriend freaked out... long story...

anywho, the lotus elise is beautiful outside... ugly inside... go-cart ugly if you know what i mean... or just look at the inside of a nascar car...

the point is... instead of forking out $50 and sell my g35... how much weight can i shave off of my car if i were to remove all the non.essentials down to a lotus elise like performance car... mind you the elise has a toyota corolla motor with incr. hp to 220hp from moding and new intake and exhause... the whole car weighs under 2,000lb...

another reason i don't want to fork out $50 for a barebone toyota corolla performance car when i can do it myself...

so what ya think my 05 coupe bare minimum weight is if i strip it of the nonessentials and make a track-like car in luxury hiding?
DOMO

Attached Thumbnails my g35 lotus elise... exige-2.jpg  

Last edited by infinitisport; 11-27-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:30 PM
the pic is from long ago when i first picked her up

Old 11-27-2009, 07:41 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
I thought you were selling cause you knocked up your girl.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:26 PM
yea people just try to take advantage of me because of that and so low balled me, i told to **** off and here i am - making a lotus elise outa my g35...

i thought you were dead...

Old 11-27-2009, 08:54 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by infinitisport
sss up,

went down to a ferrari dealership today to check out the ferrari california - yeah it's very cool car - suprisingly it's not much heavier than my g35 coupe but it just looks very intimidating...
went up close and personal and realize that everything is carbon and plastic like my g35 - except with very impressive numbers... $250K and some gain in hp and torque etc...

so went to check out the lotus elise since i can afford that and was going to pick one up june of this year til my mental girfriend freaked out... long story...

anywho, the lotus elise is beautiful outside... ugly inside... go-cart ugly if you know what i mean... or just look at the inside of a nascar car...

the point is... instead of forking out $50 and sell my g35... how much weight can i shave off of my car if i were to remove all the non.essentials down to a lotus elise like performance car... mind you the elise has a toyota corolla motor with incr. hp to 220hp from moding and new intake and exhause... the whole car weighs under 2,000lb...

another reason i don't want to fork out $50 for a barebone toyota corolla performance car when i can do it myself...

so what ya think my 05 coupe bare minimum weight is if i strip it of the nonessentials and make a track-like car in luxury hiding?
DOMO
so you want to strip all "non essentials" on your G to make it.... like a go cart inside?

you just said it looks ugly..... and now you want to do it? wtf

Old 11-27-2009, 09:41 PM
well, if you know the lotus elise - ugly or spartan interior is a very small tradeoff for the performance of its supercar ability - most ferrari can't keep keep up with it on the twisties, so yea - i can def do this just need to know that i can drop it down to 27-2800lb from 3500lb -
either that or fork out $50k for a lotus elise????

Old 11-27-2009, 10:09 PM
OR you could enjoy your car.

If you want a track car buy a track car. I can assure you driving a "track car" as a daily driver will get real old, real fast.

Why would you wreck a perfectly good car trying to make it something it can never be? The Lotus' are designed around extreme handling and their chassis are built as such. The G is designed to be a road worthy vehicle.

Sell your car, don't ruin it.

P.S. If I had a Ferrari and you tried to pull the "You can't keep up in the corners", I'd laugh at you, and point at the emblem on my car.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:12 PM
Wings Nation

Received 626 Likes on 456 Posts
shoot zackt69 if you're trying to reduce weight while keeping the car somewhat comfortable inside. he tracks his g and has stripped practically every piece of non-essential weight from his car.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:22 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Dude, get the Elise, it's the most fun car that you can possibly get. The handling is like nothing else on the planet, and it's a fantastic track machine straight from the factory. If you really want a kick, add a supercharger

Here's a pic of my "stable"

Attached Thumbnails my g35 lotus elise... exige-dsc_0528.jpg  
Old 11-28-2009, 12:29 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not that hard to keep up with an Elise, the basic engine adds, a tune, bbk, some decent coil overs and r tires and you're there. Easiest way to shed some weight is by replacing the front seats with some fg or cf ones. Personally I think a good racing seat is more comfortable than the stock ones, with the stock seat I got pain in my lower back on long drives with the Sparco I get no fatigue. I commute on 1500k springs, love every minute of it but we do have pretty good roads here in Socal.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:20 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Agreed, big brake kit and springs are an absolute must for the track, I'd also use a stronger anti-roll bar, and lighter wheels for those R tires, since the stock wheels are heavy. Also, don't use anything much thinner than a 40 profile tire or so, beyond that the extra wheel weight just isn't worth it. Big wheels look cool, but they suck for the track.

I've tracked my G, and in my opinion, if you push it really hard, you really do need some sort of transmission cooler, and maybe even an oil cooler. My transmission was HOT after each 20m session at Thunderhill, to the point where it was uncomfortable for my right foot which was against the transmission tunnel. Granted, it could just be engine heat building up, so some heat shielding would fix that.

HwyDrftr, I agree that it's definitely possible to build a G to keep up with an Elise, but the absolute limit of a <2000lb car with a low polar moment of inertia due to mid-engine is quite a bit higher than a 3500lb nose heavy car. A better G driver can certainly take a slightly less experienced Elise driver on the track, but skill being equal, the Elise is going to be faster. A couple of weeks ago, I was driving my Elise on the track, and I got totally schooled by a guy driving a 2004 G, but he was using slicks, I had comp tires, and he was a more experienced driver.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:45 AM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
The G will never compare to a Lotus. Don't even try.

Talk to BBS350Z about the 350Z he's gutting and ask him how close it's weight is to an Elise.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:49 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Don't strip your G....esp not if it's your only car.

If you had a 2nd car, i'd day go for it, but daily driving a gutted out car with no A/C or anything is silly. I always find it fuuny when i pull up next to a gutted out Accord or something with a 5" racing tach.

I like to race too, but I'm not about to sacrifice my personal comfort on a daily driver for it. Second "toy" car....go nuts

Old 11-28-2009, 05:03 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
3000lbs is my guess... around there and you'll still be able to legally drive it on the road.

Should bought a sedan, could have been 2900lbs

Old 11-28-2009, 09:32 PM
i really have no problem doing it since the car is really mine and don't have payments or anybody to take around in it in the rear seats so it it was just some random hoe then it would still be alright since i'll have a passenger seat...

still need some hardcore numbers breakdown tho like rear seat weight... etc...

thanks... but if 3000lb is it then i couldn't bear to take it apart for just that...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: my g35 lotus elise... exige