G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

too much power for a 16 year old?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 04:06 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Smartidiot
question to all 16 years old G35 drivers,
which part of your G35 did you pay out of your own pocket?
I'm not paying any of it, but then again your opinion as to whether i deserve my car or not doesn't matter to me at all. But if you really want to justify my deserving of the car, I'm graduating high school a year early and got a scholarship from the state to any college I get accepted by. kthnxbai

Old 05-16-2008, 06:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As a teenager, I owned a modded RX7 and damn near killed myself with a stupid lack of maturity.
I was on a 4 lane highway with a friend at about 3am so there were only a few cars on the road. My friend was in the second lane doing about 120 and frightened another driver in the 3rd lane. This driver crossed over into the 4th lane (mine) as I was coming up on him doing about 110. I swerved, lost control and ended up doing 360's for about half a mile (I would guess). I ended up facing the wrong way on an exit ramp. Didn't hit a thing and only had some nasty bald spots on my tires.

Should teenagers drive high horsepower cars? Probably not unless you are very mature and have very good restraints. Otherwise, you'll end up a statistic. Speaking of which, cars accidents are the number one killer of teenagers....

Last edited by g35dalf; 05-16-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by g35dalf
As a teenager, I owned a modded RX7 and damn near killed myself with a stupid lack of maturity.
I was on a 4 lane highway with a friend at about 3am so there were only a few cars on the road. My friend was in the second lane doing about 120 and frightened another driver in the 3rd lane. This driver crossed over into the 4th lane (mine) as I was coming up on him doing about 110. I swerved, lost control and ended up doing 360's for about half a mile (I would guess). I ended up facing the wrong way on an exit ramp. Didn't hit a thing and only had some nasty bald spots on my tires.

Should teenagers drive high horsepower cars? Probably not unless you are very mature and have very good restraints. Otherwise, you'll end up a statistic. Speaking of which, cars accidents are the number one killer of teenagers....
Yea but what % involves alcohol?

Old 05-16-2008, 08:27 PM
Funny, 22 now, on my 13th vehicle, only crashed one, off roading, thats a different story. Earned every one. Don't see a problem with a 16yr old driving a G, I deal with bad drivers on a daily basis, they are usually 21 to 45 years old. Just make sure that you are firm with your 16yr old, and if the 16yr old is the one who made the post, all I can say is, congrats on your possible ownership of a G, just make sure you show her the love that most of us do. Respect your self and others.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:39 AM
I'm 16, had my license for 3 months or so, the G is already my 2nd car, and I really don't think it's the power that gets kids into accidents.
I had a 2000 BMW 540i Wagon before the G [moms old car - obviously, lol], and it's a BIT faster than the G, probably because of the 324 lb ft. of torque..which I do miss honestly.
The thing is I do admit I drive a bit more recklessly in the G. I mean, the BMW was fun to drive, but it was a midsize wagon, and the G is more entertaining overall. Almost everything about it encourages speed..which is pretty dangerous for 16 year olds. I've already been stupid enough to turn off the stability control, come up to a stop sign, and step hard enough on the gas while going around a turn to engage in a drift. Being an inexperienced driver, I had no idea how much power it would take to drift and I'm not even sure what I was thinking when I turned the stab. control off. Thank god for no cars being around, my PS2's, and my luck . I'm never doing that again, because I realised how close to losing my G I was. I've also been stupid enough to race a Civic SI [random guy who wanted to see how he could run against a G] up to 75 mph in a 35 zone. It was fun smoking him, but once again I'm never going to do that again.
I consider myself pretty mature for my age actually, but in those situations I was DEFINITELY not.
Only about two weeks ago I decided I wasn't going to drive like that anymore - even if it was occasional, I'd rather live than kill myself or someone else to test the limits of my car.
So it's not really the power, but it's how far you want to TEST the power. If you're 16 and will drive responsibly, than the G could be a fine car for you. This doesn't mean driving slow all the time or anything, of course it's a performance car, everyones going to drive fast in it at one point, and I still go WOT on some straightaway freeway entrances when I know I'm not putting anyone in danger.
Also, be careful of how other people think of you when you're young and driving a car like the G. I've already been harassed a few times in the past 2 months I've had my car. I was driving a little while ago when I passed an oldish lifted jeep with a driver who looked 17 or 18 behind the wheel. Seconds later, I saw the Jeep in my rearview mirror WAY to close to my car, so I jammed the gas for about 2 seconds to get him off my tail [he was so close that if I had braked, he most likely would have hit me]. At a stop light he pulled next to me and as he went by stopped and yelled "Nice fvcking car your daddy bought you!" And after that, he started backing up as if he was about to hit my car, thankfully nobody was behind me so I just got in reverse as fast as I could and backed up.
You're gonna have to be a pretty mature 16 year old to drive the G. Just don't push it too much, and be careful of how others may react to such a young person driving a nice car. I live in a generally affluent area, and people still give me crap, so just because other people drive nicer cars than you doesn't mean you won't get harassed.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:44 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How do you get a G at 16??

Old 05-17-2008, 02:44 AM
Originally Posted by DrewQ1
Some of the responses here are just ridiculous.
You guys saying that your 16,17,18 or whatever and a mature safe driver sound just like that kid on the BMW forums that wrecked and killes himself and friends in the M5. He talks about how safe he is and doesnt speed but than again he manages to fly off a runway.
Okay well let me change my story then

Im 17 i drive my car like a maniac, why? Because I can, nothing can kill me, im a teenager thus im invicible, me and my friends do top speed runs on the freeway, we often use other drivers as pretend cones to swerve around, and i plan on street racing every chance i get. Now thats ridiculous.

plus an m5 is faster then some supercars, and as i remember he was drunk. But still you cant judge me by how another kids acts. Im sure you have made some stupid mistakes as well.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:45 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The G would have been too powerful for me... I grew up playing Gran Turismo before I had my license. You know what that means right? I would get extremely upset if somebody passed me on the road because all I would think about was winning races in gran turismo.

I started out driving on a 1990 pontiac grand prix... I that that thing was fast as hell- Yeah, now I think I can run faster than that.

PS: Never been in an accident in my life.. I have been able to avoid big ones though

Old 05-17-2008, 03:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got my G at 17.

Old 05-17-2008, 03:38 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How? Good job, or was it a 'gift'?

Old 05-17-2008, 04:31 AM
Originally Posted by Blue Meanie
How do you get a G at 16??
Well for me..
It was originally my dads, parents got a new car and I got the G.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:47 AM
Originally Posted by SteveBlake
I'm not paying any of it, but then again your opinion as to whether i deserve my car or not doesn't matter to me at all. But if you really want to justify my deserving of the car, I'm graduating high school a year early and got a scholarship from the state to any college I get accepted by. kthnxbai
correct me if i am wrong...
i believe you were the one who kept on sayig G doesn't have enough power for you ... well.. life (and HP) comes a lot easier when you are just handed somehing without paying anything (not even your insurance probably).. if it is your own moeny.. feel free to complain all you want and you can even get a better car that's 10 times faster than a G.. no one will say a word..however, if you were only 16 and you were just given a G35 AND You are still saying thigns.. then that just shows the maturity level of a typical spoiled 16 years old..

back to the the topic of this thread, does G have too much hp for a 16 years old?.. obvoiusly yes!
there is a reason why teenagers are paying the highest insurance premium among all age groups..

oh and lastly but not least, graduating high school one year earlier really isn't something that you can brag about (except to your parents or your car parts sponsors probably). U.S high school educaion system is konwn to be the easiest among western countries.. my little cousin from asia who can barely speak English graduated 1 year early and heck he wasn't even trying that hard..

Old 05-17-2008, 12:39 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Smartidiot
correct me if i am wrong...
i believe you were the one who kept on sayig G doesn't have enough power for you ... well.. life (and HP) comes a lot easier when you are just handed somehing without paying anything (not even your insurance probably).. if it is your own moeny.. feel free to complain all you want and you can even get a better car that's 10 times faster than a G.. no one will say a word..however, if you were only 16 and you were just given a G35 AND You are still saying thigns.. then that just shows the maturity level of a typical spoiled 16 years old..

back to the the topic of this thread, does G have too much hp for a 16 years old?.. obvoiusly yes!
there is a reason why teenagers are paying the highest insurance premium among all age groups..

oh and lastly but not least, graduating high school one year earlier really isn't something that you can brag about (except to your parents or your car parts sponsors probably). U.S high school educaion system is konwn to be the easiest among western countries.. my little cousin from asia who can barely speak English graduated 1 year early and heck he wasn't even trying that hard..
Ok F@G, i was simply stating i dont slack off, and if i wanted to i would have stayed in high school all four years but you had to be an A$$HOLE and say something rude like that. Frankly, i can say whatever the hell i want about my car so get off my nuts and NO this car does not have too much power for a 16 year old. (For me at least) Also i don't try hard at all and i'm graduating early...

Old 05-17-2008, 12:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AGThing1227
Yea but what % involves alcohol?
For me it was 0%. Just plain stupid thinking that I had a faster car. As for other teenagers, if they were drinking and driving, that further proves they have lower restraints and maturity.

And no, a high-horse power car doesn't necessarily mean that gets kids into accidents. It's the thinking and attitude behind it that does, just as my experience illustrated. Anyone with little maturity and a car will get into trouble. They will get into trouble faster with a G, simply because things happen much faster when you go 0-60 in 5.8 sec.

And teenagers, just by the nature of their age, and through no fault of their own, don't have the maturity a 40 year driver with 24 years driving experience has. Statistics and Insurance company's provide proof of this by charging super high rates for teenagers and much lower rates for 40 year olds

Last edited by g35dalf; 05-17-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by g35dalf
For me it was 0%. Just plain stupid thinking that I had a faster car. As for other teenagers, if they were drinking and driving, that further proves they have lower restraints and maturity.

And no, a high-horse power car doesn't necessarily mean that gets kids into accidents. It's the thinking and attitude behind it that does, just as my experience illustrated. Anyone with little maturity and a car will get into trouble. They will get into trouble faster with a G, simply because things happen much faster when you go 0-60 in 5.8 sec.

And teenagers, just by the nature of their age, and through no fault of their own, don't have the maturity a 40 year driver with 24 years driving experience has. Statistics and Insurance company's provide proof of this by charging super high rates for teenagers and much lower rates for 40 year olds
I agree with most your post except the bold. Insurance to me is like a College application reader. All they know about you is what is on paper(And that is age for insurance companies). They don't know you and nor do they care. They are in it for money. It is just an excuse to charge more to EVERY teeneger. Are their more teen accidents than adults? I don't know but I pay a premium that even a 40 year old with 5 accidents and 10 tickets doesnt even pay. it's not fair but that is apart of the package of being a teen. Their are just more adult drivers than teens. I think that is one major reason why it makes us look so much worst.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: too much power for a 16 year old?