G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

too much power for a 16 year old?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 10:14 PM
chairman roflmao
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am going to lean on the side of "no", here.

Car is not only too fast, it's too nice. While you may as well not total it (or otherwise damage it), what if you do? You will lose a *lot* of money (including money on insurance).

That's not to say you should get a beater. I'd recommend looking into a sporty FWD compact: still quick, yet predictable: like a Mazda3 or a Mazda6. Still a better car than most kids your age, still a sporty car that will encourage you to learn how to drive. Also, you will have a very hard time learn to drive stickshift on a car like the G35; if you get an automatic (like I did when I was 16), you may not have a chance to learn to drive stick (like when you're out of college and have a thrity mile commute).

So in short, I'd suggest instead considering something like the Mazda 3, Mazda 6, Altima 2.5, possibly Civic Si or Sentra Se-R; none of those cars will leave you bored, but none of them will also get you into serious trouble (either medical or financial), as long as you act in a mature way (e.g.: don't street race, don't show off, don't speed down residential streets).

Last edited by strlen; 10-25-2006 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:38 PM
My G35 > Your G35
Originally Posted by bigkrnxboi
this was my first car and i am 18 right now, and i got it when i was 16. But if you love the car and learn to drive it the way you are supposed to, i think its fair. There are some friends who have gotten m3's and s4's for their first car. and i thought i was reluctant to get a g35.
Same here i completely agree. If you know how to drive a car, then get it. Take it to willow springs and learn how to control it first =D jk.

BTW why does everyone act like RWD is an totally different driving experience, and say "i hope im ready for RWD" like its something godly..ive always been driving RWD, and AWD cars and im sixteen.. i dont see the hard thing about it? and i really like these forums it always reminds me to slow down. Im typically a slow driver but when it comes to peers i forget that going 60 in a 35 is wrong or going 80 on the freeway truly isnt ok.. after the first few seconds of flooring it i get a reality check.. Thank god im not like my other friends, more then 40% of my friends got their licenses suspended.

But truthfully don't get the g35 if you dont know how to drive a car. ive been driving since 13 with my father in safe parking lot areas getting the feel of driving and i drove around here and there around my neighborhood so i basicaly built a semi good experience. Dont get a g35 if your gonna go outta control with it and try pushing it when your not ready, not even i do that and thast because i know im definently not the next pro nascar racer.

Last edited by SeZkI; 10-25-2006 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:21 PM
Jum
Florida G35 Owner
Im 16, learned how to drive on a jaguar S Series type R. / driving school countless times.

Now i have a 06 G35 Sedan <3 .... I do drive fast sometimes, but nothing stupid. Man i live in Boca Raton... Kids get M3's like its nothing and even SL500's Lol.

I just laugh at where the hell did half of my school learn how to drive... everyman 4 himself....

Last edited by Jum; 10-25-2006 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by abcdefGGGGGG
yea cause no kids with honda civics race

doesnt matter what car you have. it depends on the person and how responsible he is.

good point

Old 10-25-2006, 11:38 PM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Too much power isn't even a question here. Any car can have too much power if you can't control it. I'm 21 and I just bought my G. Before that, I owned an 03 TL-S, 260hp. I learned to control it but I also am knowledgeable on the characteristics of different drivetrains (RWD, FWD, and AWD). If you know how the handle a car, you'll be fine. Accidents will happen whether you're 16 or 32.

Remember, cars don't cause accidents, its the loose nuts behind the wheels that cause accidents.

But in retrospect, I was a dumb kid too. Didn't hurt myself but remember a few times where I thought to myself (like everyone on this board I'm sure), "Damn that was pretty close! Won't ever do that again!" And I'm talking about weaving in and out of traffic and hitting speeds in excess of 100+.

When I have kids, I will be praying that they don't try the same things I did, cause I got away fine, doesn't mean they will. GET HIM A HUFFY!

Old 10-26-2006, 12:40 AM
I got mine at 16....4 months into no trouble. I've let it loose a few times but nothing too fast and only when there wasn't anyone around. I've driven before that since 14 since my dad wanted to teach me well. I drove his I35 (I loved that thing), my mom's van, and his current Acura RL until I was 16 and learned really well. Now I've got the G and I'm doing great. It's all about self control.

The only thing is the RWD. The cars I drove earlier were FWD and AWD. I had no previous experience on this kind of power in a RWD. I learned to build into it and everything went fine. But as someone mentioned before, the stock tires blow (hopefully getting new ones in the spring if I survive the winter). I took a turn with VDC on in the rain at maybe about 30 mph and slid left, right, and then left again and came about 6 inched from the curb but was able to shake it out. That was an experience that taught me what a RWD car really is. If I had a RWD before 90's car without traction control that thing woulda been done for.

Old 10-26-2006, 02:06 AM
anyone notice he hasnt responded to anybody?

Old 10-26-2006, 03:32 AM
Well, let me let you guys in on a little secret.

This is how these types of threads work...

The teen asks if a 290hp car is ok as a first car. Almost everyone says no. He gets upset and throws a temper tantrum cause he did not get the approval he was seeking. Basically what he wants is us to say it's ok if you're a mature 16 yr old that can handle the power which he thinks is him.

Ask me how I know. I have a bike and I belong to a couple of motorcycle forums. We get this question EVERYDAY. Sometimes, twice a day.

Now ask me how this is gonna turn out. He's either 1, gonna says fvck you to everyone's advice and just buy it anyways or 2, he's dad won't buy it for him so he will be assed out.

Whether or not he can handle it though, what 16 year old deserves a 38k dollar car? I can't think of very many.

Look kid, this is life and life works like this. When you're young you think you know EVERYTHING and that's just how it is. So don't come in here and ask question you don't really want answered. I hope for your sake that you don't end up with a RWD 290hp 3500lbs car, cause you might end up hurting yourself or someone else.

When I was 16 I was lucky enough to end up with a Prelude. I spun it bad enough where the front two tires ripped off the rims and I missed a concrete light pole by 2 feet. I hadn't even recieved my actual license yet. It was 4 days after the test and I still had the paper one they give you at the DMV.

The scariest part is I never even learned my lesson. I was driving around like a maniac after 3 weeks and I got over turning left haha.

Do yourself a favor. Buy a moderate first car and if you REALLY wanna learn how to drive go do a couple of track days. And no you do NOT know how to really drive yet. I've been driving for 6 years now and I always thought I was one of the best drivers out there... NEW FLASH 80% of people think they are one of the best... do the math it doesn't work out.

Hell, wtf I don't even know you. You know what, go buy the car. Or better yet you could probably pick up a NSX with your budget. A nice light mid-engine RWD car. That'll get you into trouble really fast. Go get that, wrap yourself around a pole and bang one less stupid 16 year old. Just don't kill your GF in the process. That would be a shame.

Last edited by KulSecHskY; 10-26-2006 at 03:35 AM.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:26 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by hopang
but it took you 2miles to hit that 145.

But the G35 will finally reach 150 to 160 mph regardless.....a speed that

outruns some Police choppers......

IMO a G35 to be "given" to a 16 year old child, who did not earn, or pay for

the insurance of a $35,000 to $41,000 car is asking for trouble.....not

just for the kid, but for the general public as well.

This kind of power given to youngster who can barely understand their own

hormones...is just playing with fire......sure there may be some exceptions...

but even those kids will fall victim to their own inexperience and emotions.

Last edited by dec55; 10-26-2006 at 04:42 AM.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:00 AM
He will be dead shortly. Period.

Old 05-20-2007, 02:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MikeyP
He will be dead shortly. Period.
im not dead yet

Old 05-20-2007, 02:54 AM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
im 15 and drive the G

Old 05-20-2007, 02:56 AM
I find all the kids in this thread fronting their parents G35s absolutely hilarious.

Old 05-20-2007, 02:58 AM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by 2EFNFAST
I find all the kids in this thread fronting their parents G35s absolutely hilarious.
well its mine now so

Old 05-20-2007, 03:19 AM
haha nah its cool, i got my G35 coupe when i was 16 man was it fun, im 17 now still think its baller as hell.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: too much power for a 16 year old?