G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

too much power for a 16 year old?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 03:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wes g
well its mine now so

Post a scanned copy of your insurance papers....oh wait.....your mommy has them since minimum age in texas is 16

I wish I could be cool like you

Old 05-20-2007, 03:51 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
G35 is deff too much power for a stupid 16 year old, or any year old.

Not too much for a smart driver..................too little actually

Old 05-20-2007, 04:37 AM
o yea and getting it at 16 is a good thing it tought me how to control a fast car haha and now i can drive anycar like im not scared to drive any car regardless of the speed, cuz its normal to me haha

Old 05-20-2007, 04:38 AM
i think its not neccessarily the age.. but as alot of people have said, the maturity level.. there are plenty of aggressive drivers over 25.. i'm not saying 16 is any better.. but as long as they are mature it SHOULD be fine.. but most aren't.. haha

Old 05-20-2007, 10:42 AM
Yes a G is too much power and $ for a 16 year old kid! You should blame yourself when they wrap it around a tree.

Old 05-20-2007, 11:32 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
I would suggest learning to drive on a slower, FWD/AWD car with better visibility.

A lot of people don't realize how bad the visibility is on a G35. Backing it up is not that easy due to all the blind spots and poor rearward visibility, and you have to especially aware of that on the highway when switching lanes that there is a good amount of space behind you for another car to hide in and you to not even know that they are there. A lot of us probably overlook and forget about some of the minute details of driving such as that, and take them for granted because it's become second nature to account for them.

There are going to be a lot of mistakes that a young driver will make too in regards to parking the thing and taking care of it(car maintenance and detailing is not an overnight thing to learn), and you'll probably want to make those mistakes on a cheaper car(Example: Curbing the wheels while trying to park, going to far forward while pulling into a spot and hitting the curb or another car, scratching up the paint by not using the right washing/waxing process/supplies/equipment).

Another thing to consider is that if you get yourself into an awkward situation(like if you're trying to take a left hand turn at a stoplight and you're sitting at the intersection for a really long time waiting for a break in oncoming traffic for you to drive through and probably pissing off the drivers behind you) you probably won't feel like there's as much attention on you from nearby drivers if you're in a normal old car that sorta blends in, whereas with a beautiful brand new G35 (and at the age of 16, probably overestimating how nice of a car it is and how it makes you look in an ego-boost sort of way), you may be more inclined to make a poor decision just to get out of that situation quick to try to get out of that perceived embarassing "limelight".

I also feel that by starting out on an old crappy car, you will learn to appreciate to a much higher degree every other newer and nicer car that you buy for yourself in the future, because you will have had personal experience in starting out from the bottom with a car that is just average or crappy. Starting out with a brand new nice car, sure you will be aware that there are crappy cars out there(friends will have crappy cars).. but without ever actually owning an average or crappy car yourself, you might miss out on the perspective that it benefits you.

Here's my suggestion: Drive an average or crappy car for a year and focus on honing your driving skills and judgement, get your most serious driving and car-owning mistakes out of the way, and then move on to a nice new G35 or other new car.

Last edited by partyman66; 05-20-2007 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:37 AM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
+1 agreed!
Originally Posted by abcdefGGGGGG
yea cause no kids with honda civics race

doesnt matter what car you have. it depends on the person and how responsible he is.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
16 year olds should get a honda civic, because its reliable, cheap, easy to fix, cheap to maintain, still fun to drive, and YOU WILL CRASH YOUR FIRST CAR...

Fwd is easier to learn how to drive, and safer in the rain.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:54 PM
I agree with a lot of people on this thread. A G35 as a first car is not a good idea especially for a 16yr old. And what 16yr old can afford a G35 unless mommy and daddy buy it. I had a honda civic for 8 years from my sophomore year in high school until about 3 months ago. When I busted my ***, got a real world job and bought the car for myself. The appreciation for the car goes a lot farther when you are able to get it yourself and not given to you. I would hold off and get them something again like a Civic. But if you want to spoil the kid and get him something other people work hard for and appreciate then by all means.

Old 05-20-2007, 01:17 PM
i think its too much for a 16 yrs old kid~~ i was only driving a honda civic, which i think its a good car to pratice how to drive.

Old 05-20-2007, 01:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would be wondering what insurance costs for this auto and 16 yo driver?

Old 05-20-2007, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by 2EFNFAST
Post a scanned copy of your insurance papers....oh wait.....your mommy has them since minimum age in texas is 16

I wish I could be cool like you
Huh, no response, imagine that

Old 05-20-2007, 01:53 PM
I think 16 year olds shouldn't have a car of their own, or drive alone at all, always with an adult. You don't know sh$t at that age and don't care what anyone else does - your typically reckless, stupid and too horny to think of much else.

At 18 years old, hopefully your parents taught you a few things and your not stupid and reckless, but still horny , so that is a better age to get your own car - but not a G.

I agree with others - get a low HP car, not even that cool looking. It'll give you respect for what you and others have. Then work your way up. If you have and buy the best or higher end when your young, then when you get older and play with your money, you wont be happy or enjoy it that much and always try to outdo others, and you'll get little respect for that.

Rick

Old 05-20-2007, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by DFaz
I would hold off and get them something again like a Civic. But if you want to spoil the kid and get him something other people work hard for and appreciate then by all means.
For me - I would get my kids something real safe as a first car. 6-7 year old Volvo, or a 6-7 year old BMW 3-series. Something really controllable and safe, not too expensive, but something they could enjoy and be too embarassed to drive - but still have some pride in to own. Perhaps a hybrid - save them gas money, as I'll make them pay for their gas anyways.

Rick

Old 05-20-2007, 02:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off, I don't know how you teenagers can afford this car. Seriously holy ****. My first car was a Ford Aspire. I am 26 and my wife and I make pretty decent money and we feel like it is a big hitch in our budget so I don't know how you could ever drive one of these things. Seriously, if your car payment takes more than 10-15% of your take home pay each month, get a different car.

That said, the G, really isn't that fast. It isn't. And more to that point, I would rather have my kid (of which I have none) to be driving a SUPER safe G35 than an 80's civic ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. Have you seen the accidents and their results of the average intergra or civic? Good God is it bad. I like my chances in the G.

So, to that point, buy something safe (like the G35X) and go from there. The G is a grat first car if you can afford it...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: too much power for a 16 year old?