G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

OFFICIAL "What Mods Should I Buy for my Coupe?" Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:27 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 155 Likes on 116 Posts
I agree.. great mods.. were my first as well...

hey bmason, don't you have to have a manual to benefit from the mrev components? I thought it didn't work for Autos. Is that true?

Old 04-19-2009, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, this thread is huge. It needs to be cleaned up. It is a PATA (<- pain in the ***) haha

My suggestion is that mod questions be broken down into category (stage 1, stage 2, lights, wheels, etc)

My question has to do with breather mods. It seems to me that as far as performance is concerned, this is the best thing one can start off with, and it seems that they give the best hp/dollar.

People have mentioned intakes, plenum, etc. The thing is, there are a LOT of companies that make these things, and so, does it matter which one you get? Or all they all the same.

My second question is, the most cost effective way to purchase these products, what are the best looking plenums that still allow you to use ur engine cover, what other low cost ways can i improve performance

K&N filter - 5 hp - $60
plenum - 10 hp - $200
z-tube - ?hp - $60

And if this can be stickied I'm sure a lot of people will be asking the same question - how can I improve the performance of the car ranked from least expensive to most. What options do I have in terms of company and places to purchase. If it is feasible to install yourself having absolutely no background or knowledge in cars whatsoever, but has a reasonable amount of intelligence to figure stuff out.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:20 PM
Premier Member

Received 418 Likes on 336 Posts
Originally Posted by Ajax_Baltimore
My question has to do with breather mods. It seems to me that as far as performance is concerned, this is the best thing one can start off with, and it seems that they give the best hp/dollar.
This is true.

There's not much benefit from getting a completely new plenum unless you are doing it for purely aesthetic reasons. Get a 5/16 iso plenum spacer from MotorDyne for around 220 and if you have an 05+ with the rev-up engine make sure you get the MREV2 lower collector as well. you need both. It'll run $380-440. You can get these from riverside infiniti (they have an ebay store) direct from motordyne, or off of everything g35.com.
The lowest prices I saw was riverside for the spacer at 220 and everything g35 for the mrev at 389.

If you get anything bigger than 5/16 the engine cover won't fit...

Add in a Z-tube and K&N filter and your breather mods are done, as long as you're staying NA.

You can throw in a grounding kit too if you want; some people debate the effectiveness but I think it's well worth it. Look up GroundingGear. $144

Everything up to this point can be done by anyone with a few wrenches and some spare time on their hands, for the rest it's probably better to get it done at a shop.

Next step would be exhaust and High Flow Cats (or test pipes but they're stinky and don't sound too great IMO so I'm leaving them out). I personally like Fast Intentions, but HKS Hi-power is another popular one. This is pretty much up to your discretion as to what sound you like and how it looks.

HFC's will set you back $350-600 and anything from Berk, Crawford, or Fast Intentions are good. I just installed the FI HFC's ($520 shipped) and really noticed a difference. Cat-back exhaust will set you back $1200-1500

Once you've done that get a tune and slap on some stickers for a whopping increase of 10 HP each!

Good luck

Last edited by seymore4; 04-19-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:49 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
you only got 10hp from your stickers? Try to throw them on above the fender.. I got 30 from mine.. LMAO...

I agree w/ seymore4.. These mods can DEFINITELY be done w/ a couple wrenches and some common sense.. These were my FIRST MODS EVER.. I mean I'd hardly opened a hood before doing these.. I went w/ the JWT Pop charger rather than the K&N filter to get rid of my original airbox.. If you go w/ that air filter you'll notice a kewl "whistling sound" between 2-3k rpm.. It's a nice little added bonus..

I'm getting Berk Tech HFCs and Fast Intentions exhaust myself as well.. I'd REALLY advise you to LISTEN to the exhausts if you have the opportunity to make sure it suits your needs. Some exhausts are MUCH louder than others (HKS is notoriously loud) and some have drone.. So if you plan to daily drive your G, you might wanna stay away from those w/ drone.. Also, regarding test pipes, there's no filtering of the pollutants and it throws off your O2 sensors, so you'll get a check engine light, and in most states won't pass inspection either.. High Flow Cats are the happy medium, and I wouldn't even say you're compromising anything because you're STILL increasing the amount of airflow out of your exhaust system and getting substantial gains from a bolt on piece..

Old 04-19-2009, 03:59 PM
i got..
md 5/16
stillen intake w/z tube
hks replica exhaust

what should my next performance mod be?

Old 04-19-2009, 04:09 PM
SEC > Big 12
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ajax_Baltimore
OK, this thread is huge. It needs to be cleaned up. It is a PATA (<- pain in the ***) haha

My suggestion is that mod questions be broken down into category (stage 1, stage 2, lights, wheels, etc)

People have mentioned intakes, plenum, etc. The thing is, there are a LOT of companies that make these things, and so, does it matter which one you get? Or all they all the same.

And if this can be stickied I'm sure a lot of people will be asking the same question - how can I improve the performance of the car ranked from least expensive to most. What options do I have in terms of company and places to purchase. If it is feasible to install yourself having absolutely no background or knowledge in cars whatsoever, but has a reasonable amount of intelligence to figure stuff out.
The reason the thread has gotten so messy is because people create new threads on the topic without reading the sticky, so those threads are merged into this thread.

This was actually one of the main reasons I created this thread, at least now all of the information is in one location instead of dozens of small threads. The thread did cut down on some of the duplicates though; when I decided to create this, we were having 2-3 new "what mods should I get" thread per day.

Also keep in mind the point of this thread is not to discuss questions about specific mods or part manufacturers, that is what the tech area is for.

I'd like to ideally write up a giant FAQ for the section, that may have the answers to all of those kinds of Qs (even though it probably won't cut down on those kind of threads). I created a thread for people to put suggestions in and to help write things for the FAQ (it was stickied), but no one other than Joaquin and myself posted in it so I unsticked it.

Anyway, maybe one of these days I'll go through the thread and try and clean it up.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:43 PM
Cool, thanks mod. It could be a really great thread/faq and I'm sure a LOT of people will find it useful.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:18 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by lfaboulos34
i got..
md 5/16
stillen intake w/z tube
hks replica exhaust

what should my next performance mod be?
TYPE-R STICKERS.

LOL JK.

Did you even read my post??

Old 04-19-2009, 08:20 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by twalls
I'd REALLY advise you to LISTEN to the exhausts if you have the opportunity to make sure it suits your needs.
THIS.

With any reputable exhaust the gains are gonna be similiar; the only real difference is: sound, look, price.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by seymore4
TYPE-R STICKERS.

LOL JK.

Did you even read my post??
nope, now i did

Old 04-19-2009, 09:41 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
You might also want to look at an aftermarket Y pipe, Topspeed is good..

Other than that, all your other questions can be answered by seymore's post.. I won't be redundant.. He hit the nail right on the head.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:22 PM
Old 04-19-2009, 11:01 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by infg35coupe
...never knew floor mats counted as a "mod"...
Guess you learn something new every day

Old 04-19-2009, 11:05 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
honestly, I thought it was a joke.. especially since it's not considered a "performance" mod.. LMAO

Old 04-19-2009, 11:10 PM
Premier Member

Oh hell yeah! After that maybe we can head on over to Home Depot and pick up some more "mods" for our rides

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL "What Mods Should I Buy for my Coupe?" Thread