G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

OFFICIAL "What Mods Should I Buy for my Coupe?" Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see what you mean, I like the way the gtr kit looks but when I looked at the GTR it did look exactly like it and I do still want my car to look like its been modded but not like a totally different car, I like my G and want it to be able to still resemble one and not be all riced out... Like I said I had to look up what a GTR even looked like cause I had seen them before but didn't know by memory and thought lambo doors were cool before also... So this should show you how much I do not know about the subject hence why I am trying to find out and quickly came to the conclusion lambo doors are almost embarrassing to have... So anyway, thanks for the heads up and if anyone could tell me about the lowering I have done the research on springs vs coils however, I was never planning on lowering the car more cause my car already curbs and I heard it puts much more wear and tear on your car (tires especially) and those are expensive (I need new tires already =() so what are thoughts on lowering, I really like the look of it lowered but at what price is it worth doing so? If what I hear about it ruining your car so much faster...

I also looked at some of the kits that were suggested and I decided on Inven front and its between K style front rear sides or CS rear fiberglass.

Last edited by Brady.law; 04-27-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:23 PM
XiN
Supersonic... Hypertonic

Received 430 Likes on 278 Posts
Itasha Coupe
Lowering your stance and getting wheels will completely add a different look to your ride. To me, its one of the first things that people will see when you are driving down the road. If you're going for looks, I would definitely recommend lowering your car and finding some nice shoes.

As for difficulty driving around... mine is lowered on Megan Street Coils and I don't have a problem with scraping or rubbing. I'm at around 1.7" drop on my coils, not as low as people like Shane and eurodre. Those guys are crazy slammed. I just make sure I'm very careful going up driveways and doing my best to avoid speed bumps and nasty potholes within the Houston area.

If you're worried about tire price, just remember that 19" tires cost more then 20" tires. And me, personally, I love the look of 20's on our cars, but I wouldn't go any bigger then 20" and no smaller then 19". That is just me.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:20 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by Brady.law
So anyway, thanks for the heads up and if anyone could tell me about the lowering I have done the research on springs vs coils however, I was never planning on lowering the car more cause my car already curbs and I heard it puts much more wear and tear on your car (tires especially) and those are expensive (I need new tires already =() so what are thoughts on lowering, I really like the look of it lowered but at what price is it worth doing so? If what I hear about it ruining your car so much faster...
You need to decide whether you want lowering springs or coilovers. If you don't care about improving your handling too much, then I would recommend only springs. Springs are relatively cheap. When you drop more than 1", you start running into negative camber issues which will eat up tires. You have two ways to deal with this: 1) install front and rear camber kits ($600+), 2) flip the tires repeatedly. Springs that have an aggressive drop like Tein S-Techs can reduce the life of the stock struts.
That should be enough info to get you started, look in the brakes and suspension sub-forum and you'll find a thread that primarily deals with springs, struts and coilover specs. There are also specific threads on camber kits.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:33 PM
So basically if I want to lower my car I would do coil overs... Springs worry me. Any recommendation on where to look at pricing for some coil overs?

Old 04-27-2010, 06:42 PM
XiN
Supersonic... Hypertonic

Itasha Coupe
There are plenty of vendors in the market place. I am sure if you PM one of them, they will give you a price quote.

Good luck!

Old 04-27-2010, 06:50 PM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts
So basically if I want to lower my car I would do coil overs... Springs worry me. Any recommendation on where to look at pricing for some coil overs?
springs are good. I heard alot of people satisfired with the tein H techs for the 350z. You just need a rear camber kit. Aftermarket shocks and struts are optional. You can keep your stock ones till they blow and then buy tokiko ones which are one of the best ones

Old 04-27-2010, 07:31 PM
Ok thanks I am doing some research.

Anyone heard of NEX Coilover's and if so, any good? Camber kit required as well w coilovers?

Last edited by Brady.law; 04-27-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:12 AM
XiN
Supersonic... Hypertonic

Itasha Coupe
If you are dropping more then an inch, then you will need a rear camber kit. I'd recommend the SPC rear camber kit. You can find a vendor that sells them in the market place. You can get away with not having a camber kit in the front.

I'm dropped at 1.7" or so all around and I believe my camber is dialed in at -1.1 in the front and -1.6 in the back. I'd have to look at my sheet, its around something like that.

The shop was able to get my front within specs with my drop without a kit, but the rear required them to have a kit in order to get them within suitable specs.

I hope that helps.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:18 AM
Any info is helpful... So what is the difference of springs and good camber kit vs a set of coilovers besides the fact u can adjust coilovers...

Old 04-28-2010, 05:13 AM
Any info is helpful... So what is the difference of springs and good camber kit vs a set of coilovers besides the fact u can adjust coilovers...
Coilovers are way more expensive and can be a much stiffer ride. Depending on your drop, you'll want to get camber kits wether you get springs or coils. If you do it right in the begining then you won't have to worry about tire wear in the future. You could go with a spring and strut combo but, IMO just get coilovers. Most of them offer adjustable dampness and ride height. I have Tanebe Pro-5 coils w/SPC camber kit, much better handling and sits slightly lower then when I had the S-techs on.
Springs - lowering, slightly stiffer than OEM
Coilovers - adjustable

Old 04-28-2010, 07:57 PM
So basically if I am planning on lowering my car around 1.5-1.7. Inches and not really modify the height after that... I should still get coils?
I mean coils I get a better ride and can adjust anytime I want, but if i am not really planning on adjusting it is it really worth it? If I get a nice camber kit and springs is it worth to get coils?... If you can't tell I'm trying to not have to spend over 1000$ for coils lol.. But if it's best I will end up doing so but if there are other benefits please let me know. Thank you for the help.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:06 PM
So basically if I am planning on lowering my car around 1.5-1.7. Inches and not really modify the height after that... I should still get coils?
I mean coils I get a better ride and can adjust anytime I want, but if i am not really planning on adjusting it is it really worth it? If I get a nice camber kit and springs is it worth to get coils?... If you can't tell I'm trying to not have to spend over 1000$ for coils lol.. But if it's best I will end up doing so but if there are other benefits please let me know. Thank you for the help.
I can't give you a straight answer without doing the research myself. I was researching only coilovers for at least a week and a half before I made a decision, and that was rushed because I was driving around with 2 blown struts at the time. What ever you choose, 1.5"-1.7" is an aggressive drop and I highly recommend a camber kit (front and back). If you go with springs and a camber kit your still looking at spending just under 1K unless you install everything yourself. Eventually, your OEM struts will fail and will need to be replaced. Look into Tokiko struts like another member suggested.
I think those are cheap and should last longer than OEM.
I'm dropped at 1.7" or so all around and I believe my camber is dialed in at -1.1 in the front and -1.6 in the back. I'd have to look at my sheet, its around something like that.
^You sure its 1.7"? At 1.2" drop my fronts had -1.5 which killed my tires and that was after an alignment. Unless the place I went to sucked.

Research aftermarket spring and strut combinations and go from there with the cost. It should be cheaper than coilovers and still have decent handling characteristics. I still strongly believe you will need a full camber kit. It is costly to properly modify the suspension on these cars and there's no getting around it. Your better off spending the money now and not have to deal with problems later.

Checkout the marketplace, good deals on coilovers:
https://g35driver.com/forums/group-b...coilovers.html

Last edited by herrschaft; 04-29-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:44 AM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
I would go with coilovers over springs/struts for the cost of springs and struts new you can get some of the entry/mid level coilovers such as tein basics, bc's, function & forms, etc.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
greddy sp2 exhaust or keep it stock??
z-tube?

Old 05-04-2010, 04:16 AM
So why are you here again...? Oh...k.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL "What Mods Should I Buy for my Coupe?" Thread