G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

OFFICIAL "What Mods Should I Buy for my Coupe?" Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:18 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 155 Likes on 116 Posts
HKS is one of the loudest exhausts on our car.. make sure you hear it (in person) before you decide.. some folks complain of the drone on some of the exhausts.. I personally have a fujitsubo legalis -r exhaust, and I LOVE mine.. Sounds great when you open the throttle, but isn't offensive when residential areas, or cruising by cop stations (lol), and no drone.

As far as the camber kits, it's just your comfort level w/ modding, and your availability to the right tools.. I'd never tell someone they couldn't do something.. To do those, you'd basically need a jack, (and I'd use jack stands as well) and wrenches and sockets, and maybe a rubber mallet nothing too difficult.. We all had to start somewhere.. I'd say you could start w/ something easier, like an intake or plenum spacer to get your confidence up, but if all you've got is camber kits, then I guess you could start there too.. The exhaust is easy to install as well, just bolts.

You could always put the spacers on, and then drop it just a little to where you didn't need camber kits, or do you plan on dumping it, or being right over the tires? What size wheels and tires are you running now?

Old 09-03-2010, 12:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by twalls
HKS is one of the loudest exhausts on our car.. make sure you hear it (in person) before you decide.. some folks complain of the drone on some of the exhausts.. I personally have a fujitsubo legalis -r exhaust, and I LOVE mine.. Sounds great when you open the throttle, but isn't offensive when residential areas, or cruising by cop stations (lol), and no drone.

As far as the camber kits, it's just your comfort level w/ modding, and your availability to the right tools.. I'd never tell someone they couldn't do something.. To do those, you'd basically need a jack, (and I'd use jack stands as well) and wrenches and sockets, and maybe a rubber mallet nothing too difficult.. We all had to start somewhere.. I'd say you could start w/ something easier, like an intake or plenum spacer to get your confidence up, but if all you've got is camber kits, then I guess you could start there too.. The exhaust is easy to install as well, just bolts.

You could always put the spacers on, and then drop it just a little to where you didn't need camber kits, or do you plan on dumping it, or being right over the tires? What size wheels and tires are you running now?
hmm I dont know anyone with that exhaust I have tons of tools, no jack stands but I plan on buying some. My dad was a mechanic so he has basic knowledge and can help. Ive put an intake on my last car before so I know basic stuff just nothing too crazy. I was thinking about doing 25mm spacers all around and I have stock 19 inch rays with the factory size tires. Will these rub with those spacers?? and I wanna drop it but not a ton, just so I dont have too much gap over the wheels. oh and if I did do exhaust Id like to get it welded. I bolted one on before and had it stolen thanks for the help!!

Old 09-03-2010, 12:52 AM
XiN
Supersonic... Hypertonic

Received 430 Likes on 278 Posts
Itasha Coupe
^^ They won't rub with the spacers, but with a drop, your rear fenders might need to get rolled.

However, I cannot confirm this because I had my fenders rolled like a week after I got the car and before I got spacers for my Rays.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:54 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by changeover
I was thinking about doing 25mm spacers all around and I have stock 19 inch rays with the factory size tires. Will these rub with those spacers?? and I wanna drop it but not a ton, just so I dont have too much gap over the wheels. oh and if I did do exhaust Id like to get it welded. I bolted one on before and had it stolen thanks for the help!!
If your not dropping more then 1" then you will be fine with 25mm in the front, 30mm in the rear will be more flush. You might want to roll your fenders if you go 30, depends on the drop. How did someone steel your exhaust?

Could I do this stuff myself?? I dont have much experience with this stuff, is it really that hard?? thanks
If you get the spacers which have the studs already attached, there's no work involved. If I remember correctly, a rear camber arm only has 2 bolts. I believe it comes with a TOE bolt which might require drilling the original hole bigger but I'd have to look it up. Yes, you should be able to do everything yourself.

I think the HKS sounds good. Sounds even better when combined with HFC's and headers.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:55 AM
Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts
I have the HKS exhaust and with stock cats, personally i didnt think it was loud AT ALL especially dding and such. At WOT it was loud and sounded nice though.

I recently added Arts pipe now the HKS exhaust is louder, but nothing too annoying.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:57 AM
Originally Posted by konxeptionz
^^ They won't rub with the spacers, but with a drop, your rear fenders might need to get rolled.

However, I cannot confirm this because I had my fenders rolled like a week after I got the car and before I got spacers for my Rays.
hmm, dont wanna roll my fenders haha so I hope this doesnt turn out to be a problem.

Originally Posted by herrschaft
If your not dropping more then 1" then you will be fine with 25mm in the front, 30mm in the rear will be more flush. You might want to roll your fenders if you go 30, depends on the drop. How did someone steel your exhaust?

If you get the spacers which have the studs already attached, there's no work involved. If I remember correctly, a rear camber arm only has 2 bolts. I believe it comes with a TOE bolt which might require drilling the original hole bigger but I'd have to look it up. Yes, you should be able to do everything yourself.

I think the HKS sounds good. Sounds even better when combined with HFC's and headers.
dunno, had it in my highschool parking lot came out and it was gone, it was bolted on. Cool thanks for the help with all the other stuff as well. recommend any springs? Im at stock height now and I THINK I dont wanna go more than an inch lower but not positive....

Old 09-03-2010, 01:02 AM
hmm, dont wanna roll my fenders haha so I hope this doesnt turn out to be a problem.

recommend any springs? Im at stock height now and I THINK I dont wanna go more than an inch lower but not positive....
I paid $25 to have my fenders rolled, if someone local can do it for you then I recommend having it done.

This thread has all the info you should need to decide on springs:
https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-...w-updates.html

Old 09-03-2010, 01:03 AM
I paid $25 to have my fenders rolled, if someone local can do it for your then I recommend having it done.

This thread has all the info you should need to decide on springs:
https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-...w-updates.html
I dont think I know anyone that does it haha. Thanks for the link and help!!

Old 09-03-2010, 01:40 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
I went the springs route first, and I got the Tenabe NF210s.. Great springs, still felt like the stock ride, wasn't too stiff, or bouncy, felt just right.. Dropped me 1" in the front and .8 in the rear.. However, once everything settled, I wanted my front lower..

That's why I said you might as well go coils first.. You'll have the option to raise or lower however much or little as you want. As you get more comfortable w/ driving a lowered car, you might wanna go lower in the future. Especially w/ 19s.. You're gonna want it to take up more of the wheel gap..

However, those springs were perfect when I had to DD the car.

If you're gonna DD the car, AND use spacers, I'd DEFINITELY recommend rolling the fender.. One good bump and kiss the sidewalls of your tires goodbye.. That little investment is worth saving your tires bro.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:02 AM
That's why I said you might as well go coils first.. You'll have the option to raise or lower however much or little as you want.
^I agree. I went with the Tein S-techs first and eventually decided to get coilovers since I wanted better handling, plus 2 of my OEM struts were blown.

changeover: If you want to greatly improve handling or want to go with a significant drop then a coilover suspension is the way to go. You could also combine aftermarket springs and shocks but the cost won't differ much between the two setups.

I would also recommend camber kits if you decide to drop more then an inch. I'm currently using the SPC front and rear and think they're great. If you do get camber kits, be sure to do the research because some won't adjust for positive camber.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:06 AM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts
Back again, need some more advice. I was gonna get 25 mm spacers all the way around. Question is I wanna drop it, nothing crazy but have things look flush and still have a good ride. I have a front camber kit obviously I would need the rear. Could I do this stuff myself?? I dont have much experience with this stuff, is it really that hard?? thanks

edit: also I was thinking of exhaust. HKS mostly but I love the stock sound. Any way to keep this sound but louder??
if you want stock sound but louder i would look into the Nismo exhaust

Old 09-03-2010, 11:59 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
^+1 on nismo exhaust.. sounds great!!!

Old 09-03-2010, 12:07 PM
I went the springs route first, and I got the Tenabe NF210s.. Great springs, still felt like the stock ride, wasn't too stiff, or bouncy, felt just right.. Dropped me 1" in the front and .8 in the rear.. However, once everything settled, I wanted my front lower..

That's why I said you might as well go coils first.. You'll have the option to raise or lower however much or little as you want. As you get more comfortable w/ driving a lowered car, you might wanna go lower in the future. Especially w/ 19s.. You're gonna want it to take up more of the wheel gap..

However, those springs were perfect when I had to DD the car.

If you're gonna DD the car, AND use spacers, I'd DEFINITELY recommend rolling the fender.. One good bump and kiss the sidewalls of your tires goodbye.. That little investment is worth saving your tires bro.
great info here, thanks for this! How would I go about finding someone that rolls fenders?? Im gonna have to save up for coils, I only got $500 haha

^I agree. I went with the Tein S-techs first and eventually decided to get coilovers since I wanted better handling, plus 2 of my OEM struts were blown.

changeover: If you want to greatly improve handling or want to go with a significant drop then a coilover suspension is the way to go. You could also combine aftermarket springs and shocks but the cost won't differ much between the two setups.

I would also recommend camber kits if you decide to drop more then an inch. I'm currently using the SPC front and rear and think they're great. If you do get camber kits, be sure to do the research because some won't adjust for positive camber.
I have the SPC front kit and I will probably get SPC rear, thanks!

Originally Posted by BlkSedan4me
if you want stock sound but louder i would look into the Nismo exhaust
I will look into this, thank you!! This forum rocks

edit: how does everyone feel about Tein basic coilovers??

Last edited by changeover; 09-03-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:35 PM
if I were to get Tein S tech springs and have a front camber kit would I need the rear? the drop says less than an inch so I was unsure if I could get it aligned within spec. Thanks.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so im about to pull the trigger on some new things:
5/16 spacer
art pipes
bc coils with rear camber arm
25mm spacers f/r
and possibly a new y pipe

wacha guys think?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL "What Mods Should I Buy for my Coupe?" Thread