G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

hey guys, 3 more months

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
I think you're totally underestimating maintenance costs. Are you planning on running dino oil through it from the local Jiffy Lube? Who's going to pay for that 3-4 times a year? Are you going to run synthetic? If you do, it costs more, and you shouldn't go back to dino once you switch. Your car will likely need the transmission fluid and diff fluids changed too. That's $200 minimum. And the brake fluid flush they recommend at 60K? The coolant flush? Brake pads, rotors? My car has close to 60K on it, and I've either done, or will soon be doing, all of these repairs. I'm doing them myself and it's still not cheap. If you blow the entire $10K on the car, how will you pay for these things? Regular maintenance is the single most important thing in keeping a car running for a long time, and it's probably the most overlooked.

And a DD kit is neither easy nor cheap. The kit itself might be cheap, but the new HU isn't, and you'll have to get a new amp at a minimum if your car has the Bose setup.

Wow, a straight B student. No offense, but that's not that great for high school. I suggest you work on your grades and get your GPA up a bit by working a little harder at it. Your classes are only going to get tougher, and learning how to be a good student is the most valuable skill you can have going into college. I'm not being a smart-*** with this comment. Take it from someone who struggled early on in college because I wasn't a good student. I was plenty smart (1500+ SAT, 31 ACT, 3.9 GPA), but that doesn't mean squat in college if you don't put the work in.

And again, no offense, but you're not "on the ball" with safe driving. It's not a knock on you personally. Biologically, 16 year olds don't have the mental development to be safe drivers. Your brain is not fully grown yet, and it can't assimilate all the inputs when the proverbial **** hits the fan. You can be safe under normal driving conditions, but when things get hairy, young drivers like you simply aren't as good at perceiving the problem and recovering from it as an older driver. And having 280 HP on tap can put you in a bad situation alot faster than a slower car can. This is not just my opinion, but a scientific fact. You might be the best 16 year old driver out there, but that doesn't make you a safe driver.

I suggest you have your parents find out how much insurance will cost before you buy. I'm a very safe driver, over 25, with no claims, accidents, or tickets in over 6 years, and with full coverage I'd be paying about $120 a month. I pay a little more because I have very high coverages ($1M+), and I suggest they get full coverage, not just collision. You wreck it with liability only, and you're out thousands of dollars.

Gulp! 30+ is elderly? I'd refrain from saying things like that around here. You'll either offend alot of people, or make some of them start crying.

Get the car you want, but try to remember the things said here to you. We do have significantly more experience with cars, with a G35, and with life in general than any 16 year old. Some day you'll understand, but until then, try to be safe so there is a some day.
my parents would help me with maintenence and all, they got money and all, not trying to use them or nothing, they tell me they prefer me to study, instead of getting a job, there hella happy enough that ive made 10k. im not going to be putting my money towards maintenance,

and not a straight b, unweighted 3.3 and high 3's weighted, did you have any honors or ap in high school?

Old 05-06-2010, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by G35,6MT
dude chill out, i mentioned my gpafor the insurance discount, you guys keep ******* how insurance is so much, the car isnt gonna be under my name if its gonna be a coupe,

and to the guy that said to raise my gpa, i believe i should also, my unweigted is like 3.3 now, and weighted high 3's, thats good, but i agree not good enough, im in honors and ap, so classes aren't easy, and those grades are good.
Hatas gonna hate dude.

Just don't try to play it off as if you're buying this 100% yourself. Your parents are going to help you out - cool, you're fortunate enough to have parents with some cash willing to help their son get a nice car. And a 3.0 plus in honors classes is good enough grades kid, don't try to defend yourself.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by Thats G
Hatas gonna hate dude.

Just don't try to play it off as if you're buying this 100% yourself. Your parents are going to help you out - cool, you're fortunate enough to have parents with some cash willing to help their son get a nice car. And a 3.0 plus in honors classes is good enough grades kid, don't try to defend yourself.
ya i know, plus a AP and pre ap, there are kids in regular that have straight a's, and they brag about there gpa's, and im like whats your weighted, and there like i dont have one, lol

Old 05-07-2010, 12:05 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lmao haha wow

Old 05-07-2010, 01:32 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by G35,6MT
and not a straight b, unweighted 3.3 and high 3's weighted, did you have any honors or ap in high school?
AP English, AP Calculus, AP Chemistry, and none of that weighted BS. You didn't get extra credit for taking a tougher class, you just learned more and had a better chance of testing out of something when college rolled around.

A 3.3 isn't bad, but your classes are only going to get harder, so keeping it there will be harder too. And colleges don't like the whole weighted thing. When someone applies with a GPA over 4.0, they get suspicious, not impressed, especially if the SAT/ACT scores don't corroborate it. An old GF worked in admissions for a college and told me that. I'd ignore the higher one and work on getting that 3.3 up to a 3.6 or 3.7. You've got a couple of years left to do it. Set it as a goal to graduate with at least a 3.6.

Good luck. I mean that.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
AP English, AP Calculus, AP Chemistry, and none of that weighted BS. You didn't get extra credit for taking a tougher class, you just learned more and had a better chance of testing out of something when college rolled around.

A 3.3 isn't bad, but your classes are only going to get harder, so keeping it there will be harder too. And colleges don't like the whole weighted thing. When someone applies with a GPA over 4.0, they get suspicious, not impressed, especially if the SAT/ACT scores don't corroborate it. An old GF worked in admissions for a college and told me that. I'd ignore the higher one and work on getting that 3.3 up to a 3.6 or 3.7. You've got a couple of years left to do it. Set it as a goal to graduate with at least a 3.6.

Good luck. I mean that.
ya, and with universities now putting up there gpa requirements it'll be harder, i just got to try harder like you said.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:03 AM
Yeah good luck with the grades. The 280hp for a 16 year old is a lot of power but I mean all the kids I know in FL live in miami and they all get M3's for their first car... I am happy I didn't I had to get a job and keep up grades and I played sports and im only 21 now so yeah college is a different jungle lol I guess i didn't get a M3 since i don't live in miami or even FL, most of them crashed their cars though so o well. Just be safe and keep us updated with what you get.