G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Selling my Z to get a G

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 10:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Selling my Z to get a G

Hey everybody, just thought I'd get your opinions regarding the G35. I currently have a 2003 Z 6mt, which I love, but since my wife and I will be starting a family soon, I need to get something with a back seat. I think the best compromise would be a G35 coupe. I know essentially, they're the exact same car and share the same vq35, but after doing some searching here, I noticed several members have the oil pooling issue on their G. Is this common? I frequently post on the Z forums and I haven't heard of this. Also, has anybody previously had a Z? If so, is the G a lot quieter? I got my Z with only 12k miles on the clock and aside from a bad passenger side window motor, everything's been perfect. Is this common on the G's as well? Lastly, for the most part, is it safe to assume that the problems on the Z are the same as on the G? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:17 PM
Why not get a sedan? Since it'll be MUCH easier with a baby.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:17 PM
There are many common problems due to the similar drivetrains. Many problems I have googled have shown up in Z and G forums.

On a positive note, the back seats have child-seat anchors as my niece and nephew can attest to. ")

Old 05-06-2010, 10:23 PM
Here are some pics of my Z

Old 05-06-2010, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by NachoCheese
Why not get a sedan? Since it'll be MUCH easier with a baby.
Yea, i was thinking about that... I know it'll be a lot more practical to get a sedan, but coming from a Z, i just can't bring myself to do so. So, i figured a G35 coupe would be a good compromise...

Old 05-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by tegraphile
There are many common problems due to the similar drivetrains. Many problems I have googled have shown up in Z and G forums.

On a positive note, the back seats have child-seat anchors as my niece and nephew can attest to. ")
That's what I figured... So with that being the case, how many of you G owners with the Rev up have oil consumption problems?

Old 05-06-2010, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by Z to G 35
Yea, i was thinking about that... I know it'll be a lot more practical to get a sedan, but coming from a Z, i just can't bring myself to do so. So, i figured a G35 coupe would be a good compromise...
TBH, look up some Sedans in the Media section on the sedan forum. Sedans are uber sexy when done right, almost makes me wanna get rid of the coupe.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^ Personal opinion. I think the coupe looks much better.

For the OP, the problems are practically identical:

Window motors
Door lock actuators
Axle click

Road noise and ride quality is pretty harsh as well. I've never drove a Z, so I'm not sure how similar they are in that respect.

I've heard that 17's make a big difference (improving noise and ride quality)

The rev-up problem seems very common here, but you could always go for an 03-04 -- some people say these have oil consumption probs as well, but I've seen far less on this forum

Old 05-06-2010, 10:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The rear seats in a G35 are a pain in the *** to get to. In fact I don't think I've ever had more than 1 other person in my car for this very reason. I treat it like a 2 seater.

If you have a child, I doubt you'll be happy with a G35 coupe. It will get very tiring after a while.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:53 PM
Anh
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
The 17's make a huge difference....the ride quality and noise are totally different from just 18's....imagine the 19's in comparison...

Old 05-06-2010, 10:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Anh
The 17's make a huge difference....the ride quality and noise are totally different from just 18's....imagine the 19's in comparison...
I can attest to this as well. I had OEM 17s for a while for winter and they were a night and day difference as far as noise level and ride quality. I actually considered keeping them on for good.

My OEM 19s and aftermarket 19s both suck in comparison...but they look nice.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:59 PM
I think you'd be happier with a sedan. Or just buying a 4 door Honda Civic or something to haul the kids around in.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by Anh
I've never had 19's on my car, but there is definitely a difference between the 17's and 18's. Just feeling the slight difference from that has made it clear to me to stay away from 19's.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by tragedycat
The rear seats in a G35 are a pain in the *** to get to. In fact I don't think I've ever had more than 1 other person in my car for this very reason. I treat it like a 2 seater.

If you have a child, I doubt you'll be happy with a G35 coupe. It will get very tiring after a while.
Hmmm... I guess I'll just have to take one for a test drive and see. I really love the way the G coupe looks compared to the sedan, but I don't want it to be a hassle everytime I put the baby seat in...

Old 05-06-2010, 11:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dont do it man

get a Sedan, or a M35.

girls HATE getting into my back seat let alone, having to put a child back there

they do have anchors for the babyseats though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Selling my Z to get a G