G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Need some clarification on Hydrolocking a VQ

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 08:54 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Haven't driven it since getting it home last night. Haven't even started it.

I got started on tearing down everything a few hours ago. (found a small oil leak in passenger rear plug well in the process, nice to know about) - but after opening everything up and removing the whole intake system (including the valve gas return line.. more on that in a moment) I found NO water at all in the cylinders. even after turning over the motor a few times, there was nothing in there. So that was a good sign.

Water most certainly did enter my engine though (oil being the proof), and it seems that the majority of it likely got ejected going out through the valve cover gas return line (and then back into the downward sloped bung that's welded into the bottom of the Injen CAI just before the MAF assembly). When I removed this line it just poured water out. This is telling actually and possibly the cause of the wonky performance above 2000rpm last night / as well as the idle failure and stalling. With that line filled with water the engine would have been getting incorrect crank case pressure in the valve cover area due to gasses not being able to exit as normal.... or at least this is what I'm suspecting.

Anyway, everything's town down and drying out - I've already gone and bought 15 quarts of generic oil to do flushes with and have a 5quart Mobile 1 still in the garage (and filter) waiting for when it's all done. that will happen tomorrow afternoon right after returning from work.

@JLK1031, yes I did buy the car this way. But, I've torn down and rebuilt much of it since buying it, and although I feel there are still tons of things I don't have experience with (like how to deal with a potential hydro-lock, as it's never happened to me before now), I do know a **** TON about my Stillen. Check my posts and assistance in the All Stillen Owners thread Ask me how to rebuild the blower and I'll talk to you all day - but ask me about how to change the timing chain and I'd be stumped... haven't done that myself yet ;D It's all a process right?

Last edited by CLRH2O; 06-02-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:46 AM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by CLRH2O
(found a small oil leak in passenger rear plug well in the process, nice to know about)
Is it just a little oil on the plug? if so, this is fairly common in the Gs. The passenger side closest to the windshield always seems to have a little oil for whatever reason.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:26 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The well wasn't filled by any means, but it was more than a drop... I'd say around 15ml? It was enough to be pooled around the base of the spark plug and coil shaft rubber end. It took me maybe 15 dips (and wipe offs with a rag) of my spark plug socket to get it all cleaned out before removing the plug it's self.