Starting Issues - 2003 g35 - G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member



G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07
Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Starting Issues - 2003 g35

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread
  #1  
Old 05-16-2018, 09:29 AM
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Starting Issues - 2003 g35

Hey guys,
I've followed this forum for a few months now, and couldn't quite find a thread that was similar to my issue, so here we go!

I am currrntly living in Antigua going to med school, and I have a 2003 Nissan G35 Skyline (Japanese model) but it's pretty much an Infinity G35. My starting issues initiated when ever it would rain overnight and I had to go to class early in the morning which wouldn't allow the car the ability to dry off or heat up. What would happen is that the vehicle would turn over, but wouldn't fire. I'd pop the hood, wait about 10-30min and it would start. However, when it would start, it would sputter for a second or two and then idle at normal with normal operation. I've replaced the air filter, cleaned the MAF, cleaned the throttle body, changed the spark plugs, performed normal reset procedures, and tried to see if there was an electrical issue. None of these solved the issue, but was necessary maintenance. The VDC Off light and SLIP light are on the dash with no check engine light.

This morning, I tried to start the vehicle and it did the same thing. However, it didn't rain over night. I have a hunch it might be the CAM sensor or timing chain sensor, as those seem to be common, but would love to have some input from you guys. Any thoughts?

Here are some links to the videos of the issue:
Start 1: https://photos.app.goo.gl/PfH8zC4CqHy65aNh2
Start 2: https://photos.app.goo.gl/EixtBxpprvqsxHc53

Last edited by Owen Taylor; 05-16-2018 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Adding Video Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-17-2018, 11:42 AM
SoCal04G35's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 21
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
did you check the battery?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-17-2018, 12:27 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 1,627
Thanked 90 Times in 83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Taylor View Post
Hey guys,
I've followed this forum for a few months now, and couldn't quite find a thread that was similar to my issue, so here we go!

I am currrntly living in Antigua going to med school, and I have a 2003 Nissan G35 Skyline (Japanese model) but it's pretty much an Infinity G35. My starting issues initiated when ever it would rain overnight and I had to go to class early in the morning which wouldn't allow the car the ability to dry off or heat up. What would happen is that the vehicle would turn over, but wouldn't fire. I'd pop the hood, wait about 10-30min and it would start. However, when it would start, it would sputter for a second or two and then idle at normal with normal operation. I've replaced the air filter, cleaned the MAF, cleaned the throttle body, changed the spark plugs, performed normal reset procedures, and tried to see if there was an electrical issue. None of these solved the issue, but was necessary maintenance. The VDC Off light and SLIP light are on the dash with no check engine light.

This morning, I tried to start the vehicle and it did the same thing. However, it didn't rain over night. I have a hunch it might be the CAM sensor or timing chain sensor, as those seem to be common, but would love to have some input from you guys. Any thoughts?

Here are some links to the videos of the issue:
Start 1: https://photos.app.goo.gl/PfH8zC4CqHy65aNh2
Start 2: https://photos.app.goo.gl/EixtBxpprvqsxHc53
You are approaching your problem incorrectly.
Prior to replacing any parts what you should have done is first check for spark.
If there was no spark then perhaps it is the cam sensor?
Next would be fuel pressure.
Just guessing and replacing parts may only complicate finding the root cause.

Good luck

Telcoman
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-17-2018, 06:20 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal04G35 View Post
did you check the battery?
I have not personally checked the battery, but the previous owner said that he changed it quite recently. I don't know how much that holds up to be true, but I can get it checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by telcoman View Post
You are approaching your problem incorrectly.
Prior to replacing any parts what you should have done is first check for spark.
If there was no spark then perhaps it is the cam sensor?
Next would be fuel pressure.
Just guessing and replacing parts may only complicate finding the root cause.

Good luck

Telcoman
I know it's unorthodox, but the availability out here in Antigua isn't as vast as the States. It's tough to find a good mechanic/electrician for the job, and being in medical school, my spare time is rather short. Thank you for the suggestions, I can try those. The problem is aligning the time to work on it when it has rained overnight. Otherwise, I would have done it myself.

Other thought: Could it be possible that the improper oil weight has been used and the engine is sensing poor viscosity?

Last edited by Owen Taylor; 05-17-2018 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Other Thought
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-17-2018, 09:18 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 562
Thanks: 0
Thanked 53 Times in 42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Taylor View Post
I have not personally checked the battery, but the previous owner said that he changed it quite recently. I don't know how much that holds up to be true, but I can get it checked.



I know it's unorthodox, but the availability out here in Antigua isn't as vast as the States. It's tough to find a good mechanic/electrician for the job, and being in medical school, my spare time is rather short. Thank you for the suggestions, I can try those. The problem is aligning the time to work on it when it has rained overnight. Otherwise, I would have done it myself.

Other thought: Could it be possible that the improper oil weight has been used and the engine is sensing poor viscosity?

Nah these engines aren't that fancy lol
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-17-2018, 11:29 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Taylor View Post
Hey guys,
I've followed this forum for a few months now, and couldn't quite find a thread that was similar to my issue, so here we go!

I am currrntly living in Antigua going to med school, and I have a 2003 Nissan G35 Skyline (Japanese model) but it's pretty much an Infinity G35. My starting issues initiated when ever it would rain overnight and I had to go to class early in the morning which wouldn't allow the car the ability to dry off or heat up. What would happen is that the vehicle would turn over, but wouldn't fire. I'd pop the hood, wait about 10-30min and it would start. However, when it would start, it would sputter for a second or two and then idle at normal with normal operation. I've replaced the air filter, cleaned the MAF, cleaned the throttle body, changed the spark plugs, performed normal reset procedures, and tried to see if there was an electrical issue. None of these solved the issue, but was necessary maintenance. The VDC Off light and SLIP light are on the dash with no check engine light.

This morning, I tried to start the vehicle and it did the same thing. However, it didn't rain over night. I have a hunch it might be the CAM sensor or timing chain sensor, as those seem to be common, but would love to have some input from you guys. Any thoughts?

Here are some links to the videos of the issue:
Start 1: https://photos.app.goo.gl/PfH8zC4CqHy65aNh2
Start 2: https://photos.app.goo.gl/EixtBxpprvqsxHc53
I rarely post but I just went through this. As mentioned check your battery. Just yesterday my car hesitated a little on start up but ran fine. I ran a quick errand then came home. An hour later I was leaving and the car would not start. It cranked but wouldn't fire up.

The car had not been driven for 2 weeks and has a 3 year old battery. I hooked it up to my 50 AMP charger and the car started but not easy. The VDC and SLIP lights were on. I charged the battery overnight, fired the car up this AM without problem and the lights were off. So yeah, check your battery.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-18-2018, 04:41 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: LA, Cali
Posts: 288
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Sup man. My wife has friends in med school in Antigua. She was debating between there and Grenada...ended up in Grenada eventually.

Anyway... u need to confirm your starting problem ONLY happens when it rains. No check engine light means your crankshaft/camshaft sensors are probably not the problem here.

Are u sure your check engine light works?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-18-2018, 10:32 AM
cleric670@gmail's Avatar
Cleric670
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Washington State
Posts: 3,460
Thanked 332 Times in 319 Posts
I doubt it's the battery, it sounds like it's cranking very strong but something is preventing the car from getting fuel/spark.

My gut feeling is you either have water getting into the IPDM fuse box in the engine compartment (take the cover off, inspect the gasket, put it back together and make sure it is securely closed, also check the rainwater gutter at the bottom of the windshield to make sure water flows freely down to the ground and isn't puddling). OR you are having a problem with the NATS system and the vehicle isn't reading your key transponder which will kill fuel/spark, next time you have this problem watch your security indicator light on the dash and see if it's solid or flashing red while cranking, that would mean that NATS has interlocked the vehicle and you might have a failing KEY.
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2003 g35 sedan starting issues after being ran. doranfreeman G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 3 08-17-2016 05:17 AM
Problem starting 04 G' with it starting...and then idle dropping and turning off BolivianFuego G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 10 02-13-2013 12:01 AM
Starting issues, warning light issues, etc TheFresh G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 1 01-14-2011 08:02 AM
G35 starting issues - hard start shauno G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 4 03-30-2010 08:37 PM
Car Issues Issues Issues blownvert G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 15 03-11-2008 09:51 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:18 AM.


Copyright ©2002 - 2017, G35DRIVER.COM All Rights Reserved.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: