G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Temperature Gauge + Leak + No Coolant Coloring [Blockage? Water Pump? Thermostat?]

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 Coupe
Temperature Gauge + Leak + No Coolant Coloring [Blockage? Water Pump? Thermostat?]

Hey All,

Quick question. I just went out to grab some Taco Bell and noticed my temperature gauge started to raise slightly. Not super crazy - but the thickness of a dime - compared to the needle staying dead center. Having said that, I took some pics and would like to piggyback some ideas that might be the problem; considering there's no coolant on the ground - but water. My thoughts are listed below as I'll follow up tomorrow:

(1) The level of coolant + water isn't properly measured. Thus, I have more water than coolant - that could've resulted in a blockage OR a cracked hose seeing how it got cold recently here in Maryland this Thanksgiving Weekend. [DIY]

(2) My thermostat is going bad and needs to be replaced. Thus, I need to replace my thermostat. [DIY]

(3) My water pump is going bad and needs to be replaced. Thus, I need to replace my water pump. [DIY]

Again, I'm not looking for troll comments as I just want to see what you all think [visually] after seeing my uploaded pics.

Water vs. Coolant right?

I say it water since it's clear

Spray over so I'm guessing busted line?

BTW: I will be posting a DIY Instructional Guide on how to swap out your door shell for all of my fellow VQ Drifters & VQ Owners who have door dings; damage done to their shell; or damage done to their internal metal beam from an accident. All in all, the process took me less than 1 hour to do. Yet, the stestealers wanted $2300; whereas, both a Tuner Shop and a Ma & Pa Shop wanted $1800 [with the door shell supplied].

Old 11-28-2018, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Fellow coolant/heating issue here.

I would say you have either a busted cooling system piece or a leaky hose. You should pressure test the radiator at 12 psi and see where it leaks, or if it holds pressure.

The following users liked this post:
Stock-Ish (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 05:43 PM
G35 Coupe
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Fellow coolant/heating issue here.

I would say you have either a busted cooling system piece or a leaky hose. You should pressure test the radiator at 12 psi and see where it leaks, or if it holds pressure.
Yeah I figured it would be a leak as only time will tell when I get home tonight to check. Per my buddy in NJ, he suggested I run it with some water - causing the water to heat up; the pressure to build up, in order to see where the leaking is actually coming from. Whereas, if the leak is bad enough he suggested filling up the radiator and the reservoir - to see if anything comes out regardless of pressure.

I appreciate your input as I'll check the hose and system when I get home at 8. Hopefully! It's what you said - as that'll give me a reason to open up my Z1 Hose Kit. It just sucks because now I'll have to pay a cool $250 (to get dinged) to get an emissions receipt to pass Maryland's Emissions at the end of this month - as the goal was to drive up to RT Tuning to get a 3 map tune.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Stock-Ish
Yeah I figured it would be a leak as only time will tell when I get home tonight to check. Per my buddy in NJ, he suggested I run it with some water - causing the water to heat up; the pressure to build up, in order to see where the leaking is actually coming from. Whereas, if the leak is bad enough he suggested filling up the radiator and the reservoir - to see if anything comes out regardless of pressure.

I appreciate your input as I'll check the hose and system when I get home at 8. Hopefully! It's what you said - as that'll give me a reason to open up my Z1 Hose Kit. It just sucks because now I'll have to pay a cool $250 (to get dinged) to get an emissions receipt to pass Maryland's Emissions at the end of this month - as the goal was to drive up to RT Tuning to get a 3 map tune.
Damn.

Mine ended up being a hose with a pin hole leak believe it or not. Lucky day for me. Pressure test FTW.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:32 PM
G35 Coupe
Alright so here's a new update. All of the hoses check out fine. There's coolant in the reservoir. However, I noticed [after wiping away most of the spray over near the radiator] the leak seems to drip from the seam of the radiator.

For example, where the plastic piece and the metal meet, and also at the bottom of the radiator seam of the radiator. Moreover, is after I let the engine idle for several minutes - to see where the leak(s) might be located, I noticed [in my cabin] the engine acted a little funny as if the idle-sound changed. Thus, I immediately shut the engine off, confirmed the radiator seems are leaking, and then came back 45 minutes later and noticed water spots under my exhaust tips.

Having said that, now what else could be the issue - since water spots we're under my exhaust? BTW the weather tonight in my underground garage is 32°.

Leaking from top of the seem right?

Rarely do I ever check this but this doesn't seem right as that looks like a collection of liquid. Right?

Right under that hose is when the leaky-brown liqud started to leak from before I checked other seams of the radiator.

Drip puddles after returning back to my car to confirm the leaks we're by the seams. Mind you, I've seen this 3 months ago ONE time, and ignored it - hoping it was due to the cold weather. I'm just hoping it's not my gaskets that's are blown - as the car starts fine; there's no steam from the engine, and yeah . Thoughts?

Old 11-29-2018, 12:19 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
The water under the exhaust tips is likely just condensation and is completely normal! You'd see an abundance of white smoke if it was a head gasket.

Regarding the leaks, I couldn't really tell where exactly on the radiator I was looking at based on those pictures, but it sounds like either one of the main hoses is leaking and you missed it during he pressure test, or the radiator itself is busted and you need to replace it. Obviously replacing the hose is preferable to the entire radiator, but both things likely need doing at some point as cars get older anyway.

I'd re-check the hose and clamp at that "seam" and probably replace them first to see if that fixes it. If not, then I'd go for the radiator. While you have the coolant drained, it certainly wouldn't hurt to swap your thermostat and put that hose kit to use!

Stock-Ish (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 12:23 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I forgot to add this in my last post, but I'm also a little concerned that the leaking substance is brown. If that's what your coolant looks like, you are in need of a drain and flush ASAP! You should also double check you're not leaking transmission fluid, as that gets run through the radiator for cooling as well and may look brownish if it hasn't been changed in a while.

Stock-Ish (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 12:16 PM
G35 Coupe
Unhappy

Hey John - Yeah, I figured I was long overdue for one since it's been 3 years; however, I haven't had any significant problems [performance wise] other than my breather mods acting up [throwing me a lean P1283 CEL]. In other words, she's running lean as the plan was to tune her; store her; and then rekindle during the summer.

With that being said, I reached out to Z1 as I'll be ordering the following: Mishimoto Performance Radiator, MOTUL MoCOOL Radiator Coolant Additive, OEM Thermostat + Housing Gasket, and a new OEM Valve Cover Gasket Package. So yeah, I think I'm set for the winter - with some DIY projects. SMH. It just sucks because "all of this occurred" right before my tune date; my emissions date, and my ability to pay off my balance -- on my built long block that IPP built for me.

BRIEF UPDATE:

LEAKING TRANSMISSION FLUID: That's a negative.

POO POO BROWN WATERY SUBSTANCE: That's a positive.

CONCLUSION: The radiator is leaking from the top seam; near the top hose; in a slow fashion. Thus, after researching and learning about seam leaks on Mustang Forums i've pinpointed the issue. The top seam around the edge of the radiator is leaking and causing it to drip down onto both the bottom seams of my radiator; including, onto other areas of my engine bay...because it's not holding pressure.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by johndom450
The water under the exhaust tips is likely just condensation and is completely normal! You'd see an abundance of white smoke if it was a head gasket.

Regarding the leaks, I couldn't really tell where exactly on the radiator I was looking at based on those pictures, but it sounds like either one of the main hoses is leaking and you missed it during he pressure test, or the radiator itself is busted and you need to replace it. Obviously replacing the hose is preferable to the entire radiator, but both things likely need doing at some point as cars get older anyway.

I'd re-check the hose and clamp at that "seam" and probably replace them first to see if that fixes it. If not, then I'd go for the radiator. While you have the coolant drained, it certainly wouldn't hurt to swap your thermostat and put that hose kit to use!
I agree. Mine was a pin hole leak in a rad hose heading to the heater core. Fml.

Originally Posted by Stock-Ish
Hey John - Yeah, I figured I was long overdue for one since it's been 3 years; however, I haven't had any significant problems [performance wise] other than my breather mods acting up [throwing me a lean P1283 CEL]. In other words, she's running lean as the plan was to tune her; store her; and then rekindle during the summer.

With that being said, I reached out to Z1 as I'll be ordering the following: Mishimoto Performance Radiator, MOTUL MoCOOL Radiator Coolant Additive, OEM Thermostat + Housing Gasket, and a new OEM Valve Cover Gasket Package. So yeah, I think I'm set for the winter - with some DIY projects. SMH. It just sucks because "all of this occurred" right before my tune date; my emissions date, and my ability to pay off my balance -- on my built long block that IPP built for me.

BRIEF UPDATE:

LEAKING TRANSMISSION FLUID: That's a negative.

POO POO BROWN WATERY SUBSTANCE: That's a positive.

CONCLUSION: The radiator is leaking from the top seam; near the top hose; in a slow fashion. Thus, after researching and learning about seam leaks on Mustang Forums i've pinpointed the issue. The top seam around the edge of the radiator is leaking and causing it to drip down onto both the bottom seams of my radiator; including, onto other areas of my engine bay...because it's not holding pressure.
So it's the rad or upper hose? Spray a leak finder powder and go drive around. It should show it's face quick.