G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

LS swap experiences

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2022, 12:16 PM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
G35 Manual
LS swap experiences

I'm very curious, I see there are LS swap kits for the G35. Has anyone on here done one? Did you find it was worth it? I ask since I see the conversion kit alone is probably $5000 easily for everything, plus you need a LS engine, maybe a transmissions, and likely an aftermarket ECU like a Haltech or Holly.

I think in many cases an LS swap can make sense. However, it seems that unless one is going for very high horsepower, or has an LS lying around, it would be cheaper and easier and about the same to modify the G35 VQ engine to deliver respectable street power. Meaning, less than 500 horsepower seems easier to keep the current engine and layout. Over 500 horses I can start to understand where it might be "better".

I'm helping someone do an LS swap on a truck, and it makes sense since in that case, other than motor mounts, everything else just fits in there, and in that persons case, just using the OEM computer.

Old 07-14-2022, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,019 Likes on 937 Posts
Originally Posted by 2003G35stock
I'm very curious, I see there are LS swap kits for the G35. Has anyone on here done one? Did you find it was worth it? I ask since I see the conversion kit alone is probably $5000 easily for everything, plus you need a LS engine, maybe a transmissions, and likely an aftermarket ECU like a Haltech or Holly.

I think in many cases an LS swap can make sense. However, it seems that unless one is going for very high horsepower, or has an LS lying around, it would be cheaper and easier and about the same to modify the G35 VQ engine to deliver respectable street power. Meaning, less than 500 horsepower seems easier to keep the current engine and layout. Over 500 horses I can start to understand where it might be "better".

I'm helping someone do an LS swap on a truck, and it makes sense since in that case, other than motor mounts, everything else just fits in there, and in that persons case, just using the OEM computer.
it’s hard to make a vq faster without spending $10k+. LS can work with a plate with CD00x transmissions so you’ll save money there.

I love tuner turbo / supercharged V6 and I6 tho.

I have a PROEFI 128 stand-alone for sale soon if you decide to go that route.

Old 07-14-2022, 01:30 PM
G35 Manual
This is why I ask. The nice kits like Sikky is over $6000, then you need the engine and trans, that's another $6,000 easily. I don't see that being really cheaper than just building up the VQ.

But, maybe people feel you have a better experience overall.

Old 07-15-2022, 07:28 AM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
2003 G35 Coupe
Dropping an LS into a 3k+ pound car is more work that it's worth imo. Might as well get a GM.

I would build what you have.

Old 07-15-2022, 11:54 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,462 Likes on 2,154 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
If you're a decent welder you really don't NEED a complete kit like the SIKKY. Sure it makes the project MUUUUUUCH quicker though since you aren't fabbing anything yourself but if money is an issue and TIME isn't the issue then you can do a complete LS swap for less than the cost of a conversion kit.

Just pulling a number out of my butt, using an automatic, probably $5k if you built it all yourself on a tight budget. CD009 adapter plate isn't exactly cheap, plate+flywheel+clutch adds a lot to the pricetag. 6MT price probably add another $2k

I just don't care that you lose the stock CANBUS functionality though, cutting in a new instrument cluster, etc... sure it's fine for a track car but honestly if you're gutting/cutting a chassis for a track car why not pick something better than a G35? Heck put it in a 350Z and save a couple hundred pounds plus 350Z are cheaper than G35's.

At the price of around $7k you could get some eagle rods, budget ebay turbo and be into low 500whp on the DE engine plus keep all the functionality of your car.

Keep in mind this is not paying ANY shop labor rates, doing all the work yourself.

Old 07-15-2022, 02:07 PM
G35 Manual
You are right, you don't have to get the kit, it's just much much easier. Is it worth $5k? Not to me at this time. I'm thinking more like you, that if I wanted "more" I would just add a turbo or blower and be done with it. Peppy enough then for most street things I would do. Right now, I find it just fine the way it is, but I was very curious because I see the mod but didn't really see much upside.

Thanks.

Old 07-15-2022, 05:22 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,462 Likes on 2,154 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Getting the flexibility, reliability, and upgradeability of an LS is hard to put a price tag on. It's definitely got it's uses, last LS swap I did was on a 1984 Corvette in... 2017? and it turned out amazing. I did most of the mechanical work with the hardware and a shop in town did the tuning. It used a Holley EFI system and they custom programmed the dash look like the old stock digital dash (very close approximation). Car definitely turned out amazing and losing the old crossfire V8, garbage 5 speed, and switching to a modern LS1/T56 plus the suspension work, tires, poly bushings, Quaife helical LSD axle made that car feel/handle/sound amazing.

Put a Texas Speed 228R cam in it for NA use, that thing felt like the perfect fit and I've been in other cars with the 224r cam which is a bit more mild but doesn't scream "corvette" quite as much as a 5.3 with the 228R. other than that the engine was mostly stock and I think it made 385ish whp when they were tuning. Lots of companies make excellent cams, do your research. I didn't FULLY rebuild the engine, it had 90k on it already. Basically just tore it down to bottle brush hone and put rings, bearings (cam/crank/rod) and a trunnion upgrade kit, everything else was stock including the oil pump and I think his rpm was set at 6500 because I he didn't get upgraded bolts.

Now I've also put the DE engine into other platforms as well. First one was in 2006 and it went into a 1992 V6 Camaro. Long story but my friend was hell-bent on keeping his Camaro a V6 engine and he came across a good price on a wrecked 350Z, cut almost literally everything out and welded/bolted it into the Camaro. Eventually got an early vortech supercharger and he still drives that car on the weekend. Other was a dune buggy, same sort of deal, wrecked 350Z (moral of the story, leave your traction control turned ON) powertrain installed in a tube frame sand rail chassis.

What I'm saying is LS swaps definitely have their niche, and the DE engine is also an excellent choice depending on realistically achievable power goals.

Trending Topics

Old 07-15-2022, 07:20 PM
G35 Manual
Oh, yes, don't get me wrong. I just finished also doing something similar where it made sense. I just help a buddy put an LS 5.3 into a 1985 Chevy truck. That practically bolts it, cutting up and modifying the engine mounts was easy, everything else just falls into place, the 4L60 plops right in and a few cuts with the crossmember. Had an 82 Z28 with the crossfire, same thing, easy to put in, better deal than anything else really. I like LS engines, this combo just seemed not really the best bang for buck. With help, did an E36 with an LS, it made sense in that case because those german motors get expensive when you try to add power, so an LS was "cheaper" than most other swaps. I hear you on that front.

I appreciate the responses and thoughts.