Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nissan to BMW to Infiniti?

Hello everyone. Here’s my story……

Had a 92 300ZX
Had a 94 300ZX TT
Had a 98 M3/4 door
Have a 2000 528i/5 speed, 2002 Pathfinder LE, 2000 BMW K1200RS motorcycle
Have a deposit on a new M3/6 speed

Just when I thought that I was getting a new M3 Infiniti decides to step up to the plate with their G35 coupe/6 speed. I am very well aware that the M with outperform the G in many areas. However I’m 32 married and am planning on having a child soon, as well as a dog. My thought process looks like this.

M3 = Faster, bigger trunk $15,000 more.
G35 = Back seat folds down completely flat (perfect for the dog), is fast enough, has better nav than BMW (hands down) and is $15,000 less.

SO here I am, reading your forum and trying to learn as much as I can about the coupe. I already test drove both the coupe and sedan G35. I’m still waiting to drive the 6 speed coupe as soon as the dealership gets in a demo. I have no interest in the sedan. Personally I was already going for the M3 so a 4 door simply isn’t an option. However, as a side note, my dealership told me that the sedan will be offered with a 6 speed and all wheel drive in June. That DID interest me slightly however I still prefer the looks of the coupe to the sedan plus I have the Pathfinder already.

I’ll be making my mind up soon. Is there anyone here that went from a BMW E46 to this car? If so, what do you have to say?

Also, is there an aftermarket company that is making a center armrest for this car yet? If not, can someone direct me towards the top company that makes aftermarket interior components for this car?

Thank you in advance for any input that you can throw my way.

Ken

Here’s my interior room comparison:

Front Head Room – M3-38.5 G35 Coupe-39.2
Front Leg Room – M3-46.5 G35 Coupe-43.8
Rear Head Room – M3-35.0 G35 Coupe-34.7
Rear Leg Room – M3-21.0 G35 Coupe-31.4

Old 11-29-2002, 03:09 PM
Re: Nissan to BMW to Infiniti?

I could not afford a new M3 so that would be out of the question. I went from an s2000 (too small, I didn't really want a convertable) to a 350Z (Very impractical, looks not all that great, icky interior) to the G35 coupe. However, my Uncle (who has had beemers for the last 10 years) influenced me to take a look at a 330ci. My first response was that it was at least 4 or 5 k more for a comparable car. True, but he took me to the BMW dealer and mad eme look at it anyway. Fantastic interior, speed is ok (G35 coupe still seems faster), I know it would have better resale and the looks are different but still great. I chose the coupe mainly for the price difference. It's just a better value. PErsonally, I don't think you could go wrong with either car. Both are beauties and stand raf away from the competition in their class.

Andrew

2003 coupe 6MT blue premium aero (on order)

Old 11-29-2002, 07:27 PM

I was in the same position (sorta). I had a BMW M3 coupe e36 and wanted a new 4 door car. I bought the G35 based largely on the Road and Track article singing its praises, plus it was a lot cheaper than the BMW. I got mine with NAV and HID and sport, completely loaded (it was cheap to do, relatively). I'll prolly get killed for saying this, but I am very sorry I didn't buy the BMW. I was amazed how there were so many things that bother me about the new car that were so right in the M3. The things that are so right about the G35; the price, the power, the NAV, the dealer, the reliability, I could care less about now. I would much rather have the underpowered 530i, no NAV, and the crap dealer for MORE money. If you are even considering the //M, you probably like things about a car that the G35 can't deliver. I am learning this the hard way. The G35 is not a terrible car, so it isn't a death sentence, I am just counting the days before I can afford in my mind (I am going to take a huge hit trying to get out of it, so I really feel stupid now) to go back to BMW.

Old 11-30-2002, 02:16 PM

I had a 2000 328Ci before I got my coupe. Now it isn't a M3, but it is essentially the same minus the engine and suspension. My G35 coupe is MUCH faster, handles better, and gets much more looks. Everyone out there has a BMW. Not that I didn't love my BMW, but the G35 is such a better performer. Only thing is the lack of rear head room, but it really doesn't bother me much since I'm the one driving!

J

Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Old 11-30-2002, 10:58 PM

I realize this is a little bit of a cross post, as I have the sedan. I like the G35 coupe a whole lot more than the sedan, but I needed a 4 door. I think if I was going to do it again, and I needed a 4 door, I'd buy a 530i and bite the bullet on price. If I were in the 2 door market, I'd buy the G35 coupe. an //M at 50 large is just too much. Many of the things I don't like about the G35 sedan are much improved in the coupe.

Old 12-01-2002, 03:18 AM

I too have been all over the map and back when it comes to cars. Since 1996, I've had a 96 Volvo 850R (Modded-chip & exhaust-290hp), a 97 BMW M3, a 99 BMW MZ3, and I currently drive a 00 BMW M5. I bought the M5 because I got a great deal on it but I never really needed a 4 door vehicle. Thats why I got rid of the Volvo in the first place. Now I have the urge to go back to a 2 dr sports coupe. I was naturally drawn to the M3 again. After test driving a new 03, I could not justify the huge cost difference over the G35 coupe. Granted, the M3 is faster, but the G is MUCH better looking. The G has a modern flair while the M3 is beginning to look a bit dated. I agree with a previous poster that the Infiniti Nav. is much better than the BMW. The G also has in-dash 6 CD changer. In my M5 and the M3 the changer is in the trunk. I have ordered a G35c due late in December. I'm getting a handsome rebate from the dealer for the M5 trade. I'm really looking forward to this car and I'm sure I wont be disappointed.

Old 12-01-2002, 03:46 AM

First let me say your interior dimensions are wrong.. the BMW M3 only has 41.7 front leg room compared to 43.8 in the G35 coupe... and the M3 headroom is only 37.5 not 38.5 which to me is a huge deal being i'm 6'-4"

Right now I'm in a similar situation as you, except I can only afford the 330ci... but even comparing the prices of the 330ci to the G35, there's still about a $4000 difference in favor of the G35 coupe... being money does play a part in my decision making, i'm strongly leaning towards the G35.. even tho i've always wanted a BMW (part of that being the name and its legendary handling).. but being a fairly loaded G35 costs about the same as a stripped 330ci, i'll probably end up with the G35..

Also, for those who regreat buying the G35 and wish they bought the BMW, could you list some reasons why? From what i've read of your posts, your rather vague in why you regret buying it..

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by Kegster on 12/01/02 12:47 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 12-01-2002, 07:21 AM

Ok here it is. The G 35 Coupe is a better looker. Here is a sample of the comments you will gte.

What a beautful car
It's ggod to have money.
WOW!
You must be rich..

And I lost count of the heads I've turned and people the flag me down .. People in the street walk up to tak about the car. M3 fast, but who can see you going fast?

Old 12-01-2002, 12:20 PM

I appreciate the honesty and objective opinions that everyone is giving here. I have beat up my G35 pretty thoroughly in these forums and almost no one has gone off the deep end.

My major gripes that have been fixed in the coupe are the looks, the seats and the sound of the engine.