G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

05 and up 6mt g35s no brembos?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average.

Old 10-26-2005, 10:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by htownboy
Actually, an 04.5 TB 6MT with premium is worth just as much as when it was sold if miles are low... They only made the TB for one year and it is a hot item, it will be rare because you just can't get it anymore... The Nissan service manager has offered me 32K for mine on 3 different occaisions.

I agree, the telescoping wheel and mp3 player may be more useful day to day, but how many other G's do you see in the color you own and how many more will be produced?

Where do you live? I'd like to talk to them about my car, a TB 6mt with premium and NAV.

Old 10-26-2005, 11:04 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've read through this entire thread(and many other threads rehashing the same thing), and I gotta say it just gets old. I've got an 05 6MT, sedan, so I never had the option of brembos. But damn, do brembos really matter? I don't see a single advantage of brembos, in 90% of the car's use, other than bragging rights; kinda like the hp jump on the 05 revups. I haven't tracked my car, but I've autocrossed, and I have never had a problem with fade. In fact, during the middle of the summer, we got 8 runs in a day, and still no fade. So I ask again, why such a big deal on the brembos?

As far as the revup's output is concerned, it's nearly identical to the non revups for practical purposes. At a dyno day a few months back, my stock sedan registered 242/210, where as the 03/04 coupes were running anywhere from 225 to 235hp, and 220 to 230 torque. And other than my wife's sedan, no other 03/04's there that day were stock; each at least had exhaust, a few had cats, and even pullies, but none had a plenum/spacer.

The peak numbers really don't matter. Comparing the curves, they were all pretty much the same. And at a 1/4 track day during the summer, my car, stock, put down slightly better ETs than the 03/04 coupes, but the same trap speeds.

The horsepower/torque aspects of the revup have been discuss ad nauseum. Simply put, they didn't make a bit of difference. But for those 03/04 guys claiming the loss of torque actually hurts the 05's, my personal experience proves otherwise.

They're friggin the same car. Get over it.

Old 10-26-2005, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by dentalstud
Where do you live? I'd like to talk to them about my car, a TB 6mt with premium and NAV.
Clear Lake... send a PM and I'll hit ya' back.

Old 10-26-2005, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
I've read through this entire thread(and many other threads rehashing the same thing), and I gotta say it just gets old. I've got an 05 6MT, sedan, so I never had the option of brembos. But damn, do brembos really matter? I don't see a single advantage of brembos, in 90% of the car's use, other than bragging rights; kinda like the hp jump on the 05 revups. I haven't tracked my car, but I've autocrossed, and I have never had a problem with fade. In fact, during the middle of the summer, we got 8 runs in a day, and still no fade. So I ask again, why such a big deal on the brembos?
They feel so dang smooth also, just not the same without em'. plus, everywhere I go I get compliments on em'... they are just real nice, not only very functional... The 4 piston setup makes them very smooth and easy, you can feel the extra stopping power; try and see.

As far as the revup's output is concerned, it's nearly identical to the non revups for practical purposes. At a dyno day a few months back, my stock sedan registered 242/210, where as the 03/04 coupes were running anywhere from 225 to 235hp, and 220 to 230 torque. And other than my wife's sedan, no other 03/04's there that day were stock; each at least had exhaust, a few had cats, and even pullies, but none had a plenum/spacer.
Agreed, different power curve, they are about equal, I can beat a friends 05 6MT over and over, but not by much, and I've driven his car, it feels somewhat different, but mine pulls much better low and mid and with the AC on, my 04 feels way more powerfull than the 05... This is just my observation, so please no one be mad at me.

The peak numbers really don't matter. Comparing the curves, they were all pretty much the same. And at a 1/4 track day during the summer, my car, stock, put down slightly better ETs than the 03/04 coupes, but the same trap speeds.
Agreed, this is true

The horsepower/torque aspects of the revup have been discuss ad nauseum. Simply put, they didn't make a bit of difference. But for those 03/04 guys claiming the loss of torque actually hurts the 05's, my personal experience proves otherwise.
And MY personal experience proves otherwise, I though that 05 would smoke my 04, it cannot, not even when we switch and drive each others G's, I try but cannot pull on my 04 while in this 05.

They're friggin the same car. Get over it.
Not "the same" but very close, I do agree, the 05 rev-up feels smoother than my 04 and the transmission is much better than my OEM one, but that has been replaced and I now have the same trans as the 05 6MT so I am really happy about that. There are some nice improvements in 05 and 06 and I'm sure the car will keep getting better, but there are no great differences.

Old 10-27-2005, 02:44 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by G6MT
Wow, I read this whole thing and many other posts just like this one. Same argument over and over again. I liked the Brembo's, and I thought I was going to get some Brembo's when I was going to get the 05 but when I found out it didn't have it and showed the salesman my concern, he said he will give me a great deal on an 04 but I passed on it like every other 05 owner. The inside clusters look boring and weird to me after looking at the 05. It's so plain looking with and the orange LCD with black numbers looked out of place. Anywho, it's all about looks really. BTW, in that picture above, the Brembo's look funny and small against that rim. Are those 20's Rims? Whatever size that is, it makes the rotors and calibers look small! Also, when another poster replaced the Brembo's and placed the Calibers next to some Stoptechs, wow, what a difference. I knew that I had made the right decision. I would most likely change my brakes to some BBK so I'm glad I got the 05's.

I also agree the engines are the same (albiet some better innards) but most likely the same. I will hold judgement until the new Motordyne Mod comes out for the Rev-up engine. As to people saying the smoked each other, I say they are smoking something themsleves :P 10 extra lbs or torque isn't going to smoke anyone and neither are the extra 18 hps.

In summary, the reasons I got the 05 instead of the 04 are these:

1. Better looking clusters, use of real aluminum, better Head Unit (although I'm getting rid of these POS BLOSE the first chance I get!). Hey, don't take my word for it, someone on these forums has already converted the 03-04 center console into an 05.

2. Yes, bragging rights to HP. You may not know it, but come time to sell my G, I'm sure I will easily convince the buyer that my car IS newer and has more HP than the earlier models.

3. Brakes: Yes, not getting the Brembo's is a good thing. From what I hear, the maintenance costs a fortune on the Brembo's. So, when time come to replace parts on the Brembos, I would most likely just get an upgrade and then there goes the Brembos! Also, man, the gold color sucks. It's so bling bling! Anything but gold!

4. These things are only hearsay and are more for resale value, but I heard the leather is better on the 05's (I think from Motortrend or C&D). Power reclining seats (again, resale value here folks). Again, it's an 05 and NOT an 04 or 04.5. Yeah, try convincing a buyer that it's pretty much the same car and you will argue for hours but it is still the previous year model. I'm sure most buyers will read up on the car before buying and will hear about the issues with the 03-04's and the upgrades to the 05's. So, again resale value on that one.

So almost indifferent to the cars, but in the end, the Newer car wins, if not for then just the fact it is newer and was redesign.

Old 10-27-2005, 07:53 AM
Maintenance will cost a fortune on a big brake kit as well.

Old 10-27-2005, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by clinty
But I waited for the 05 to get the telescoping wheel and mp3 player which are more useful day to day.
how is a telescoping wheel used more than brakes? do you adjust it every time you see a red light? you have to have some ****ed up body proportions to have a problem with the 04 guages.

i have an ipod in my car so im not even going to touch the mp3 player deal.

all you guys are idiots... well most of you at least.. its teh same ****ing car.. more hp less torque more weight... big ****ing deal.. its all basically the same in the end.

ps. i beat a couple 05s now with my 04... stronger engine my ***.. im not boosting im not worried, it wont break down on me.

^im drunk so please dont bitch about me contradicting myself by saying that our cars are the same but mine is better... the overall almost sober comment i have to make is that these are the same cars... ignore me bragging about whipping on 05 ***... anyways.. mission for tonight: go out and pick on some hondas!

Old 10-27-2005, 11:27 AM
how is the 05 gauge cluster better than the 04? it's diff but not better, especially at night. the 05 gauges are too bright at night really when compared to its dash dials, which became smaller and harder to read than the 04s. and the 05 temp cluster?? they changed it for the worse. look at an 04 at night and you'll see the diff. the 04s temp cluster are cleaner, no weird rectangular shapes and no backlighting like on some old cellphones. just clear orange on black.

dont get me wrong, i like all Gs no matter what year. its just when i had this 05 loaner, i was disappointed by what i said above.

Old 10-27-2005, 12:25 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by ScottR
The Brembo's were the ONLY reason I bought a used 04 instead of the 05 6MT. After the upgrade to slotted Brembo rotors I love them even more! I don't think they had problems but rather like tikknikal said, it was a cost cutting thing.

To bad the brembos only help in track type of racing. The 05s perform just as good.

Old 10-27-2005, 12:31 PM
Premier Member

You beat the driver not the car.

I owned both a 04 and a 05 now. And the 05 is significantly faster.

Better engine? I have a neighbor with an 05 6MT same car as mine basically, but I have an 04 6MT and can pull on him every time, in fact, there has not been even one time he came out ahead... I'm not saying I smoked him, but came out ahead without a doubt, each time... We are friends and have been playing around for about 8 months with the cars now.

Different power curve tuning yeah, better engine, no. If infiniti had made the 18HP gain and been able to keep the 10ft\lbs torque, then I would say it was better, but to loose the 10ft\lbs torque, I can't say there was much gain. Go to your nearest strip or track and you will see.

Oh, yeah, about the internals, unless you are adding some very serious boost, there is no everyday benefit. I will be fine under warranty until 08 when I trade it, probably for another G or M45 unless the GT-R makes it here and that would be a no brainer.

Quit hating on the 03-04, I see alot of it lately, all models are nice... But if you want to talk crap, I'm in htown, bring that 05 and I'll show you what i'm talking bout'

Old 10-27-2005, 12:37 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by FAST1
I have an 05 and based on everything I've read, it has the same engine as earlier G models. Sure, there were some superficial changes but nothing extraordinary. I'm not sure what you mean by stronger internals. It's the same block ,the same connecting rods, the same pistons, the same crankshaft, the same camshaft, and the same valves. They've been tuned a little differently to yield an additional 18 HP. Big whoop!
I suggest you research what you said again. Because the internals on some items and a few that you mentioned are stronger. Even the part numbers are different.

Old 10-27-2005, 12:39 PM
Premier Member

I will always pick the one with more torque, as long as it is capable of handling the power and we all know the VQ was very tough already as it has been wards 10 best and you surely dont read many posts about them coming apart.

I could have bought the 05, in fact had ordered one already, but changed by mind due to Brembo's, TB color and torque... I will see the benefits of the evoultion of this car when I trade mine in in 08... Hopefully there will be many more changes by then and maybe a GT-R!
TQ is #'s till dynoed on the same dyno. I had a 04, dynoed it stock. And now dynoed my 05 stock on the same dyno. My 04 dynoed 234 hp and 234 tq.

My 05 dynoed 253 hp and 231 tq stock.

Basically equal with the 05 being faster period and the same TQ.

Old 10-27-2005, 12:44 PM
Premier Member

Well, I don't see how the 05 is inferior at all to the 04 since I owned both. LOL The 05 is much better in areas than the 03-04 models. You need to try and prove otherwise and not your opinion.

Nissan would not go backwards on designing a great car and make it inferior to the previous year.

yeah, know about Vettes, had 4 of them since, 1967 327 4speed, 1969 Stingray Big Block 4speed, 1971 Stingray 350 auto, 1981 CrossFire Auto... Power is definately not everything but we are comparing G35 to G35 here, IMO, the G35 is slow, but it is the most beautifull car I have ever owned by far. I have a 1985 Kawasaki 750 turbo that will run a flat 10 sec 1\4 mile if I want to go fast!

I traded the last 81 vette on a 1982 Supra with twin cartech turbo's and it was way faster than this G, but I love the G!

I see the point has been made... I have been dilligently posting to this thread to let the 05 owners know, the 05s are not superior in many ways and are in fact inferior in some... You just get tired of reading how some people say the 05 is SO MUCH BETTER, what a bunch of crap! The 06 owners will do the same and then the 07s and 08s will follow, but until we see some great prodution change, all of our cars are very close to being equal!

All G's are beautifull, none are very fast and the VQ cannot handle any brutal builds or it will come appart, there is NO question about that... The strongest this block can be setup will only handle 500-600HP and that is really nothing compaired to the inline 6 or an american V8 etc.

I read some silly stuff posted sometimes and laugh so hard, it can really be ridiculous at times. Can't we all just get along? There are enough haters out there directing that towards all of us.

Old 10-27-2005, 12:45 PM
Premier Member

Actually, an 04.5 TB 6MT with premium is worth just as much as when it was sold if miles are low... They only made the TB for one year and it is a hot item, it will be rare because you just can't get it anymore... The Nissan service manager has offered me 32K for mine on 3 different occaisions.

I agree, the telescoping wheel and mp3 player may be more useful day to day, but how many other G's do you see in the color you own and how many more will be produced?

Sure he has. When he can get a new one for less.

Put it in writing.

Old 10-27-2005, 12:49 PM
Premier Member

Not "the same" but very close, I do agree, the 05 rev-up feels smoother than my 04 and the transmission is much better than my OEM one, but that has been replaced and I now have the same trans as the 05 6MT so I am really happy about that. There are some nice improvements in 05 and 06 and I'm sure the car will keep getting better, but there are no great differences.
The 03-04 Brembos require more pedal pressure to stop the car faster than the 03-04 non-brembos. The 05 brakes feel almost the same but the 05s have bettter brakes over the 03-04 non-brembos. A 350z had Brembo brake problems after 3-4 runs at the autox 2 events ago. I had my 05 and did all the runs without a problem. His were squealing like mad, and the tech people asked him to not run again till he fixed the problem. Found out his pads were glazed badly.

They are no smoother than our 05 brakes.

Last edited by G35_TX; 10-27-2005 at 01:08 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: 05 and up 6mt g35s no brembos?