G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Uncomfortable drivers seat!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Uncomfortable drivers seat!!!

I'm back from Camarillo. First, Aviation Design is a class act. The owner, before getting into remodeling airplane interiors, redid the interiors of exotic sports cars. These guys were great. However, the hamburger from the diner next door left something to be desired. I should have gone for the tri-tip. I drove back (1.5 hours, half in bumper to bumper traffic) home. I felt some discomfort in my leg, but I think it's just still sore from the drive up. The seat feels better as I can no longer feel the nasty old brackets poking up on me. They also raised me up a bit. It was hard to get used to sitting normally on the seat again as I'm now used to cringing away from the right side of the seat. Really only time will tell on this. The controls are still very easy to get to, even though they cut off the bottom part of the bracket to lower it. I have every expectation that if I need more work that they will quickly take care of it for me.

BTW, I had the TSB for seat discomfort applied to my G awhile back. When we pulled off the cover we found a plastic cover that was resting over the top edges of the brackets. I think the plastic cover (which we left in place) was part of the TSB (?) The extra foam was added to the original foam in the seat. I had no clumpy foam over the brackets as shown in the pictures posted earlier.

I'll write again after I put a few hundred miles on my sweetie.

Old 04-08-2004, 10:52 AM

Sounds great. I really hope it works out. If it does, I might take a drive to Camarillo. How long did it take? How much did it cost, if you don't mind? Thanks

ETicketRide
2003 G35 Sedan/Ivory Pearl/Willow Premium/Sport/Tint

Old 04-08-2004, 01:39 PM

I have had my sedan for a week just driving to and from work, leg feels numb during the day, used the cruise control for the hour drive I did take, that helped, love the car otherwise, doesn't sound like infiniti has a solution, I guess I'll lodge a complaint and wait, My spouse thinks I'm crazy, I am in the "big" category 6-2 225 lbs. I like the mod that two people did but I'm a little far away from Camirillo, CA, think my leg would be all the way off by the time I got there from NE.! I think the extra length of the premium package seat controls makes the problem worse, email complaint no good? I need to call and speak to a rep?

04 G35 Sedan DG-G 6MT

Old 04-08-2004, 02:40 PM

Just saw this picture of an 2005 M45 interior from NY auto show, note how seat controls are down/recessed from seat surface.

04 G35 Sedan DG-G 6MT

224680-seatcontrols05M45.jpg

Old 04-08-2004, 02:55 PM

Ok... like I said before, I drove a G and didn't have pain, but I could *tell* the bracket was on the right side.

And seeing that pic of the M45, and comparing the left bolster to the right bolster... I still *hate* the idea of the seat controls there! The bolsters should be unblemished, just like the left side.

I am leaning heavily toward a G, but I still won't stop wishing they put the controls on the side of the seat base like BMW, Ford, Volvo, Mercedes, etc...

If you're in control, you're not driving fast enough -- Parnelli Jones

Old 04-08-2004, 03:07 PM

I saw the same image of the M45 seat, and it looks like there is even less bolster than on our cars. What a disappointment. I hope this is not an indication of what is to come in the 2005 G.

[i]<font color=red>BoneDaddy
2003.5 Garnet Fire, Premium, Aero, Sport & Debadged

Old 04-08-2004, 03:14 PM

Well, my guess is that because the 05 M45 concept was like this, then the G's seat controls are *not* going to move.

Old 04-08-2004, 09:08 PM
fnt

Yeah, I noticed the controls on the M45, too. I don't understand why Infiniti thinks that it's so important to put them there. The side of the seat would be fine - it's not as if you have to adjust the seat very often.

Old 04-08-2004, 09:34 PM

Especially if the seats have memory.

I don't get it either.

Old 04-08-2004, 11:18 PM

You can see from the M45 pic that they are still crapping you out of 1/2 of the right side seat bolster- just a TERRIBLE seat design. I would like to neuter the evil bastards responsible for it with a very dull grapefruit spoon!

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by GeeSpot on 04/08/04 08:20 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 04-08-2004, 11:44 PM

Between that and the 6sp transmission problems... it might be enough to keep me out of a G.

I really thought differently after driving one, because the bolster didn't bother me that much. But I could tell with no uncertainty that it was different than the left one.

The remainder of the car, plus the bang for the buck made me think I could live with it.

But I have to admit straight up that between Pelucidor's recent syncro problem and all the similar problems in the Z as well makes me really question the G... granted, I should have 70k miles for them to replace the transmission as many times as they need to, and they *should* have a true fix for it.

But it's not doing anything for my confidence right now... which bums me out.

Old 04-12-2004, 12:44 PM

Well, at first I questioned the wisdom of adding another post to a thread that is already amazingly long. But perhaps Infiniti is watching...

I'm 6'3", 210 pounds (before Easter). The seat on this G35 is horrible. Rather than repeat everything, I share the same pain most of your are reporting. I will be taking the seat out and moving the bracket as soon as my Mustang emerges from its cacoon and I have something else to drive.

Yes, I have emailed Infiniti and got the expected pat reply. No surprise, but I wanted to get my voice at least heard. My email to them mirrrored all those I've read here.

Heck, 2 of my college cars were a '75 Bobcat (Mercury's Pinto for you youngsters) and a '74 Corolla and both had pain-free seats. As a matter of fact, neither smelled like they were burning when shut down either, but that's another story.

My long term goal is to wear down my wife with my whining about the G35's seat so I can ditch it and get the car I really wanted anyway... which at this point is almost anything else. That may be a ways off, so in the meantime I'm taking matters - and this switch assy. - into my own hands.

Old 04-15-2004, 01:41 PM

Hello Mark,
Any progress on lowering the bracket some more? I hope you will post excellent pictures when you do, same as you have done on previous modifications. I am very close to saying screw Infiniti and either selling the G or taking it to a local auto upholstery shop and letting them have a go at your seat mod. If the RX8 had more torque and HP in the auto and got similar gas mileage I would already be gone.

Old 04-16-2004, 01:23 PM

Spoke to Infiniti Consumer Affairs again today. The Engineering Dept. is stonewalling saying no further attempts to resolve this will be made. The next step up is to write and snailmail a letter to the following address. You will need to include yoiur ICA Reference # which can be obtained from ICA by phone 1-800-662-6200.

Executive Team @ Infiniti Consumer Affairs
P.O. Box 191
Gardena, California
90248-091

Old 04-16-2004, 03:42 PM

Folks with the modded seat (Self or by airline shop)

How is the ole leg? Still working? I wanted to wait a few weeks to see how you guys felt and then its time for Team Upholstery Mod.

Worth

2004.5 Sedan AT DG
Sport/Flaps/Premium/max tint/Bose
NX Nitrous (tuned)
CAI Injen
6 wire ground kit
Custom ECU
Zaino layers=6
next mod: higher jets

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Uncomfortable drivers seat!!!