G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Uncomfortable drivers seat!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 01:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Uncomfortable drivers seat!!!

The simplest immediate solution seems to be attaching the existing controls to the LOWER part of the seat FRONT, maybe screw or bolt them to the hard plastic down there. I already have memory seat controls on the left lower side, and it is quite tight down in there anyway so I am not sure that location would work for me. If I have a full bolster put in on the right side the controls will HAVE to be moved in order to maintain access. We have also discussed moving the switches to the console, but that is a little scary sounding to me. One wrong cut, and I would need a whole new console cover, and you KNOW that wouldn't be cheap!

Old 05-15-2004, 06:29 PM

I would be afraid of the console slip-up too. I also have the memory seat controls on the left lower side of the seat and there's about 5 inches of room in front of the memory controls on the panel to install another set of control. If you haven't seen the controls from an Altima the cluster is about 5" wide and 2.5" tall. I can barely reach memory controls with the door shut so I plan on installing them so they're recessed to the depth of the top of the controls. I think this would work. It's just a matter of finding the right way to recess them and have it look stock. Here's a shot of the Altima controls.

Old 05-15-2004, 06:32 PM

Try again - can't edit post.

Old 05-24-2004, 10:26 PM

Well, like G35Mark, the first step of cutting the center brackets out was an improvement, but not a solution. I went to and from the beach in the last 4 days, 4 hrs. each way. Though it wasn't as bad, I can still feel the seat cushion/controls dig into my right hip and thigh, with the hipbone area being by far the worst. You can actually look at the two seat bolsters and see how much flatter(and therefore painfree) the left side really is. Those damn seat controls just PUSH the right side bolster up into a hard ridge. There is simply no place for that side to have any "give" to it.

I alternated with and without my additional seat cushion, and with is still much better though not painfree. At least the damn numbness is gone. I guess I will set up a time to get back up with my seat guy soon, or I may just sell the car and be done with it. I really shouldn't be having to try and find a solution to this problem that I did NOT create!

Old 05-26-2004, 01:51 PM

Hey Gee',

Have you thought about re-shaping the bolsters by your hips completely? I may be doing that myself in my coupe. I've had my car for two months now, 6 weeks of which have been full of pain and frustration. There is nothing I really like on the market right now in terms of another car (that I can afford of course) so I am planning on reshaping the bolsters to relieve the stress/pressure on my hip bones and deal with how it looks. At least if I/we can get out of pain, maybe we can get some sanity back.

Old 05-26-2004, 10:43 PM

Gashed, I certainly have. My seat guy claims he can cut some leather to match and sew it in where the right side bolster will look/feel almost identical to the left side bolster. That will necessitate moving the controls somewhere else, either to the lower seatfront (mounted on the hard plastic) or some other location, possibly the console - though that would mean cutting the console and using/installing some smaller switch gear. That second idea kinda scares me.

Where were you thinking of moving with the controls Gashed?

Old 05-27-2004, 12:48 PM

I'm gonna try leaving my controls where they are for a while after I re-shape the bolsters. If that doesn't work out, I'm going to do a temporary mount on the front panel of the seat (no drilling, but double sided tape or velcro). That way, when I unload this cool car that has been the biggest headache of my life, I can put the controls back to their position with more double sided tape and fill in the empty spots of the bolster with pillow fibre. It is so crazy, I spent 30k+ and I am tearing up my seat to be comfortable. I am pretty sure I am going back to American after this ordeal. This is my first import and I've never had a problem like this before. What a lousy design.

Old 05-27-2004, 07:55 PM

We'll I'm joining this thread after having it mentioned in a similar (but much shorter) thread on FA. I have a 2004 G35 sedan and found out a few things today after initially trying to get 03018 applied to my car. All 2004 sedans (not sure about coupes or how far back the factory fix goes) have this fix already done. Unfortunately, I am experiencing the same pain on the right side. I have not done any mods and I am reluctant to do so until I hear back from the head service manager at Infiniti of Kirkland (he has a call into Corp.).

There is one thing that might get Infiniti's attention to actually fix this problem with a completely new seat / frame / control mount redesign. Everyone that is experiencing this pain and has medical benefits coverage through work, etc. should go to their primary physician and have some physical therapy referrals (maybe even ongoing until this problem is fixed) scheduled to help reduce or at least maintain their leg, hip and butt pain. After you get that done a call to the benefits explaining why this referral was needed in the first place might shed enough interest by the benefit company to attempt to recover cost of the therapy appointments through Infiniti directly.

Not sure if it would work or if it is even possible. Just new idea to put more pressure to fix this problem.

Old 05-28-2004, 04:37 PM

just some thoughts and observations on this.

i noticed for the first time a month or so ago that slight pain in the leg when driving for a while in stop and go traffic and then again on a longer trip with a lot of shifting.

so i experimented a bit and found that with cruise control on and/or wallet out of my back pocket, the affect wasn't too noticeable.

i wonder if most of us that have felt this have the 6MT because we would be moving our right leg much more than someone with an automatic and maybe that's why the amount of complaints is not high.

anyway just thought i would pass on this info to see if it helps someone.

04 6MT sedan, black/willow

Old 05-28-2004, 05:00 PM

I would have to agree with what you said. If you have insurance coverage and a lot of pain, you should see your doctor. Maybe once insurance companies get involved, then Infiniti will start to listen....Everyone have a good long weekend!

ETicketRide
2003 G35 Sedan/Ivory Pearl/Willow Premium/Sport/Tint

Old 05-28-2004, 08:41 PM

I have a 2003 5A/T and have the problem. A number of the guys with early builds (all 5A/T) over on Freshalloy have the problem as well. It is the seat control and bolster that is causing most of the problems.

Old 06-01-2004, 12:10 PM

well, so much for that theory.

04 6MT sedan, black/willow

Old 06-01-2004, 03:24 PM

To add insult to injury, my seat is rocking again after being "fixed" months ago.
This POS seat keeps getting better and better...

[i]<font color=red>BoneDaddy
2003.5 Garnet Fire, Premium, Aero, Sport & Debadged

Old 06-01-2004, 04:13 PM

I sent my letter to ICA finally, I have been out of mine a week of not driving it, and still have some soreness, that bothers me in other car seats as well, I had one thought for the seat controls, maybe I could run the wiring through a metal gooseneck like on a fullsize microphone and let it float next to the seat like the seatbelt clip. Does this sound like too much work?

04 G35 Sedan DG-G 6MT

Old 06-01-2004, 06:50 PM

Inifiniti will ignore this as long as they can. Since it sounds like they would need to install a new seat with the controls located somewhere else. Since this would cost a small fortune (Figure they have this seat design in 350z's, G35 coupes, and several other of there cars) odds are they will just drag there feet and ignore the problem. Only solution i see is to get medical reports showing that the seat controls are causing the pain, then find a lawyer who's willing to file a class action lawsuit.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Uncomfortable drivers seat!!!