G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Uncomfortable drivers seat!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 07:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Uncomfortable drivers seat!!!

Where did you come up with the 30% figure? From the poll? I also am on FreshAlloy, and haven't seen one thread about the seat there, so that 30% is just G35Driver members? I am sure we are a very small percentage of owners, it would be interesting to see a poll of all owners. And people saying they are not having the problem, is probably more like they are wondering why, not belittleing anyone IMO!

Brilliant Silver/Graphite/Chrome Wheels '04 Sedan/5AT

Old 02-22-2004, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If Infiniti moved the seat controls for the 04 model, they would be admitting that something was wrong. By the sound of everything, Infiniti doesn't see any problem. I initially had a lot of pain the first month. Now it is a minor discomfort. I keep asking my dealer about the TSB, but they don't know anything about it. Since my problems are minor now, and the fix is not really a fix, I am not pushing the issue. Like others have said, try some cushion between your leg and controls. I have noticed that the discomfort is more noticeable when I wear shorts vs. pants....Just remember that Infiniti did nothing about the brakes until enough people complained. Now look at what they are offering...at least it is something. Everyone, keep posting....

ETicketRide
2003 G35 Sedan/Ivory Pearl/Willow Premium/Sport/Tint

Old 02-22-2004, 11:13 PM

The number is ITB 03018 "Improve Driver's Seat Comfort". I actually had to look it up and tell my service dept. about it. THEN they found it on their computer. It has made some improvement for some folks, while others say it actually makes things worse. For me it downgraded the problem from "undriveable" to " driveable with pain and numbness".

To the poster who is a Freshalloy member - I am also and there have been a number of posts about this subject quite similar to the one we have going here. They have been awhile back and I think several of those guys got fed up and moved on to other vehicles. I presume some are still suffering in silence.

Eticketride, your comparison to the brake problem is quite apt. I have almost 25,000 mi. and No brake problem, but I didn't make fun of or minimize the problem to those who did have brakes wearing out early. You are sooo right about the necessity of keeping the pressure on Infiniti if we are to have a satisfactory solution to this problem!

Old 02-23-2004, 01:15 PM

My problem is not numbness in my right leg, but a dull ache in my right butt cheek. Feels like I'm sitting on a metal plate on that side, and find myself shifting to the left to alleviate it momentarily. I keep fiddling with seat position and hope I can get it right soon. By the way I'm a lanky 6'1".

'04 G35S 6MT

Old 02-23-2004, 04:19 PM

mreloc:
I am 6'2" and feel it more in my a$$ then my leg also. There are times I really feel like I am sitting unbalanced (higher on right side). You ARE sitting on a metal plate that should not be there.

[i]<font color=red>BoneDaddy
2003.5 Garnet Fire, Premium, Aero, Sport & Debadged

Old 02-23-2004, 07:59 PM

mreloc, if you will look back thru the earlier pages of this thread(page three) you will see pictures that clearly show what you are sitting on - a sharp upward pointing metal spike. Two of them, actually, and a 4-6 inch long metal bracket in between them. An utter fiasco of seating design if there ever was one!

Old 02-24-2004, 10:53 PM

I wish I had seen this thread 3 weeks ago, before I bought the G35C. My right leg hurts for an hour after I drive home from work, and as others have stated, it was not evident on the test drive I took before buying.

The TSB fix seems nonsensical since it adds padding, whereas padding should be removed from the right seat bolster (and the seat controls moved). I contacted an upholsterer would said that adding padding to the seat bottom (to raise my butt off the seat) and recontouring the bolster would probably help. Right now I'm experimenting with various thicknesses of towel to see just how much raising my butt off the seat is required. I must say it helps some. The upholsterer seemed to be familiar with the problem because he said the Infiniti dealer might pay for the work if I asked, "but don't tell them I said that."

All in all a very disappointing experience.

Old 02-25-2004, 03:30 PM

Has anyone had custom work done on the seat to move the controls? Can Infiniti custom order a seat?
HAS THIS THREAD BEEN FORWARDED TO THEM??

Old 02-26-2004, 12:10 AM

I saw a pic of a Japanese car with Recaros, but I'm not sure if Recaro is offering a fit kit for the G35 Sedan yet.

Anyone know?

A set of Recaros would cure the seat issue right away.

If you're in control, you're not driving fast enough -- Parnelli Jones

Old 02-26-2004, 01:15 AM

Last I heard Recaro had no kit to fit Infiniti's. It was gonna cost lots of money to have them fabricated, and then there is the cost of the Recaro's themselves, not to mention losing the heated seat and memory seat functions I payed extra to enjoy. Infiniti just needs to step up and fix the damn seats - period!

Old 02-27-2004, 04:09 PM

I forwarded a link to this, and another thread to my ICA contact with direction to forward to her bosses.

Old 02-27-2004, 05:00 PM

I just dropped off my coupe at an upholstery shop to have the seat recontoured. They will first raise the seat bottom about an inch, then shave the foam on the right seat bolster. If that doesn't relieve the pressure on my right thigh then we will discuss the seat control box, whether to move it or not. I have faith in these guys- they primarily do aircraft interiors and work on car seats as a sideline- because they did some interior work on an airplane I once owned. I'll post later on the results

Old 02-27-2004, 10:35 PM

The shop has I think pretty much solved the uncomfortable seat problem for me. They did 3 things:

1. Add 1 inch of foam to the seat bottom at the aft end of the seat, tapering it toward the front.
2. Remove some foam from the right seat bolster along its entire length.
3. Move the seat control box down (toward the floor) about an inch. This required cutting the brackets (see G35Mark's post of 9-29-03 for pix of the brackets) off of the top of the seat frame and rewelding them to the side of the seat frame.

The result of step #3 is a loss of the undue stiffness and resistance in the middle section of the right seat bolster. In fact the right seat bolster is now almost identical in stiffness and angle to the seat bottom as is the left.

The seat controls require just a little bit of reaching down to move them, but this is not a problem. The bun warmer still works even with the extra foam in the seat cushion bottom, and raising the seat bottom still leaves me plenty of antler room (I'm 6'1").

I drove the car about 25 miles home from the shop and the difference in comfort is remarkable- no sore right leg when I got home. I really think this will be the answer for me.

The shop that did the work is Aviation Design in Camarillo, CA. Their primary business is aircraft interiors, and they hold a number of FAA-issued Supplemental Type Certificates that allow them to modify and rebuild general aviation aircaft seats. These guys really know seats: after I showed the tech the car and described the problem, he removed the seat and in a few minutes saw how to modify the seat control box. (Surely Infiniti engineers are as smart, or are they?) The job took 2 workers 3 hours to finish.

I asked if the seat frame had been weakened by welding the brackets to it and they assured me it was not.

The owner of Aviation Designs is Tim Hallock, and much of his seat mod business is done by UPS- aircraft owners send in their seats and he does the mod and sends it back. Whether shipping your seat to him is worth the effort only you can know. You would have to consider that customizing a seat to this degree might be better if you are there while it's being done and you can check the fit on the spot, in other words, find a shop closer to home. However Tim said he is willing to discuss the mod he made on my seat seat with other owners for possible shipping to his shop.

You can check his website at http://www.aviationdesign.com/twin.html and his phone # is 805-484-4748.

He charged me shop rates at $70 per hour for a total of $420. He says the next Infiniti seat won't take so long as mine.

Caveats: This mod worked for me and my physique (6'1" and 185 lbs.). It may not work for you. Also my car is an 04 coupe 5AT. I don't know if the sedan seats have clearance either to the side or down for moving the control box.

I'm a newbie at forums. If someone can direct me to a Help section on how to attach photo files I will do so.

Old 02-28-2004, 12:22 AM

That is awesome! I guess the real test is a long ride. It is great to know that something can actually be done. Thanks for the update. I'm sure everyone on this board appreciates all that you have done, I do. Infiniti, are you listening??? If my seat becomes unbearable, I will take a drive up to Camarillo. It is only 3 hours from me. Thanks again!

ETicketRide
2003 G35 Sedan/Ivory Pearl/Willow Premium/Sport/Tint

Old 02-28-2004, 01:51 AM

Thank you for posting your solution. Please keep us updated on your experiences as you get more seat time. As far as posting photos on the board you might check the FAQ. I have personally never been able to figure out posting photos here myself. I usually post my pics on Imagestation(which doesn't allow outside posting) and then post a link to my photos there. I think you may be able to host them on some other online image storage site that lets you post to outside websites and then the photos will show up here. Hopefully someone with more experience with this will post better suggestions for you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Uncomfortable drivers seat!!!