G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Uncomfortable drivers seat!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Uncomfortable drivers seat!!!

Just wanted to issue an update on my seat. After posting about the crappy seat in April, I finally yanked the seat in September and I've got almost 2000 miles on it since then.

Upon removing the seat and peeling back the cover and foam, I was happy to learn that the brackets were thin and easily bent, so I bent them. Doing so results in a switch pod that is moved out and down farther, both good things as you know. I also added some foam to the seat bottom. The foam was fairly soft and about 1.5" thick, but it's all I had and sufficed for experimentation purposes.

Now, about 2000 miles later, I would say that about 1/2 to 2/3 of the pain is gone. It no longer drives me nuts on short drives - now it takes longer to start fidgeting away from the right side of the seat. I still have another 1/4" of room between the seat and the console before I'd have to worry about rubbing the console, so I may remove the seat again for another pod-moving exercise. All in all, the mod was easy and worthwhile.

Old 10-01-2004, 01:21 PM
"G" Spot

When you added padding to the seat, where abouts did you add it? I saw that alot of people added some on the bottom, but I think for it to be most effective, it needs to go directly on top.
I might try bending mine some more this weekend.

Thanks for the update.

2004 G35 sedan. Silver/graphite, Premium, sport, aero package. Z-tube, K&N

Old 10-01-2004, 05:29 PM
"G" Spot

Well I have an appointment next friday to have the controls removed completely and the right bolster rebuilt, from a mold of the left one.
The price will be 300 bux, but he will add more foam to the top of the seat, do the bolster, mount the controls and make sure that it is the same as the left.
I know it sounds like alot, but I can't sell the car, nor can I endure the pain. This will be the best 300 bux i have ever spent.
*well there was that time in bangkok!!!!!

So I will post some pre and post pictures to let you all know how it goes.

2004 G35 sedan. Silver/graphite, Premium, sport, aero package. Z-tube, K&N

Old 10-07-2004, 08:39 AM

I found the following on Nissan's web site describing changes for '05. It seems to imply a change to the seat. Anyone know if this is the case?

"Examples of the G35’s combination of sportiness and comfort can be found throughout the spacious (98.0 cubic feet) interior. The driver’s seat uses a special center mound shape with high damping urethane foam and special spring design to support the driver during sporty driving, while the front passenger’s seat has a flatter-shaped lower cushion and the seat is shaped to provide a relaxed posture. In the rear, the G35 offers a choice of wide bucket-shaped seats or optional rear reclining seats, both with ample knee room, and a pass-through armrest. The G35 trunk measures a full 14.8 cubic feet of trunk space."

Old 10-07-2004, 06:11 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

des16:

No changes here - this is same thing(s) they said in the '04 sales brochure.

Sport Sedan Fan - 2004 6MT Sedan
Sport/Navigation/Premium/Aero; "Invisiguard" Bra, Madico Onyx Tint
Obsidian Black/Graphite & "Titanium"
SHE'S SILVER & BLACK - GO RAIDERS!

Old 11-08-2004, 12:22 PM

I've been seriously considering a g35x .After seeing this post i have mixed feelings.Obviously i will have to take one for an extended test drive.There really are no other cars that interest me like this one does.Im a little concerned because although i am short (5'6"), i am an avid cyclist and my thighs are a little bigger than the average person of my height. One thing that is very apparent is the passion most of you have for this car, and the extremes you are willing to go to to hold onto the car.That says a lot about the g35. I'm just curious how the seat mods are doing now that it has been awhile, especially the ones from the aviation shop.Any seat mod updates would be appreciated.As for dealing with Infiniti, corporate wheels of justice turn VERY slow.I have an Xterra.There was a problem encountered by people mainly in areas like the NorthEast where the fuel sending unit would corrode and the vehicle would die as if it ran out of gas.It took a LOT of ranting but eventually Nissan caved in and did a recall.Don't give up, just keep on them.I just got my recall notice on the Xterra a couple weeks ago , probably about a year or more since the problem surfaced.Ok, i'll go back into lurker mode now.

Old 11-10-2004, 02:17 PM

I'm 5'6" and have had my G35x for two months. No problems at all. Go for it!

Old 11-10-2004, 07:16 PM

Here is one nice one from Silver04.

https://g35driver.com/forums/showfla...ed&sb=5&part=1

Old 01-01-2005, 04:03 PM
Thumbs up My Seat M odification

I wish to thank everyone who has posted suggestions and documentation on this issue. I have had pain starting after my first long (50+ miles) drive in my G. I have spent probably better than $500 in chiropractic and physical therapy. I wish I had come across this thread beforehand as it is clear that it is a function of poor seat design and not a coincidental physical problem of mine. I had pretty much the same level of support everyone else has mentioned here ... NONE!!

Ok, enough of the history ... I pulled my seat this week and took G35Mark's suggestions. I pulled the bracket off completely (dremel'd thru spot welds) and mounted the controls on the front of the seat w/ heavy velcro. I placed about 2" of foam under the seat cushion and 1/4" high density foam between the leather and the cushion top, rear center section only. It's pretty tough to get additional foam anywhere else due to the rail connections from the leather to the cushion.

Due to the anticipated seat height change, I moved the hard-stop screw position on the rear height servo within about 1/4" of the servo motor (about 1/2" closer than factory setting).

I have not had a great deal of time in the seat since making the changes but so far it feels much, much better. I can't help but wonder what the design guys at Nissan were thinking when they were finalizing this seat. How ridiculous is it that a regular guy like me can come up with an alternative design that by all rights is better?

I hope this helps somebody else out there, my advice ... Just Do It!

Happy New Year

Old 01-04-2005, 10:45 PM
Question Question about 05

Does anyone out there know if the seats in the 05 are any different from the previous models?

I have just ordered my 05 sedan with the 6 speed. I didn't see this thread on the seat problem until after I put down a deposit. I hope I haven't made a mistake.

Being an engineer by trade I can't fathom why this would not be taken care of by now. However, I will tear the SOB out and fix it myself if need be. There just doesn't seem to be another 4 door out there with RWD and the performance for the price.

Old 01-04-2005, 11:46 PM
sweetdaddy - the 05 seats are indeed better. I sat in both of them back to back and the 05 feels wider and softer. On the 04, I could feel a slight pressure on my right thigh, but on the 05, the pressure is gone.

Old 01-05-2005, 01:18 PM
This freaking thread isn't dead yet? It seems every few weeks it creeps back to the top.

Old 01-05-2005, 04:15 PM
I am 5'9" 165 lbs. and just finished a drive from Sarasota FL. to Toronto ON in a new 2005 G35x. The drive covered 2265 km in just 19 hours. This included 4 gas stops (240 liters), an obligatory 30min. stop in Tennessee for fireworks, plus the border crossing. What can I say...it was a loaner, and I drove it fast.

I found the seat was quite comfortable. At first I was sitting a bit more to the right side of the seat, which was noticable by a bit of pressure on the right torso, but once I corrected my position, driver discomfort was a not an issue.

Old 01-05-2005, 08:47 PM
I would have to strongly disagree with antho2006. I had a 2005 G35x loaner for several days. The new seats felt better for about 30 minutes. Then the same old pain in the right hip and thigh, and numbness in my right foot began. The driver's seat STILL SUCKS ***!!!

However, the problem does NOT affect everyone, sweetdaddy, so you may be fine anyway. I certainly hope so. You probably will be ok.

Old 01-06-2005, 11:18 AM
Any idea what the deal is with the links? I have not been able to view anything since the site upgrade.

Getting the following error message:

"Object not found!

The requested URL was not found on this server. The link on the referring page seems to be wrong or outdated. Please inform the author of that page about the error.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
Error 404
g35driver.com
Apache/2.0.50 (Fedora)"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Uncomfortable drivers seat!!!