G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Compression Rod and front brake pads...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 07:44 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Compression Rod and front brake pads...

Hi all,

Haven't been too active on the forum (having a baby due in a few months). Today I went to dealer to have oil change, inspection and to have them check the compression rod. Anyway, I've had the creaking noise when making turns in the morning for at least a year or more now. Brought it in once and they said couldn't duplicate the issue. Today I drove with the tech and he was able to hear a little of it. Anyway, compression rod is on order and they gave me a loaner. I've read people who changed it and still didn't fixed the issue, so let's see how it goes. I have about 16k miles on my car and I noticed a little squeaky brake noise. The tech looked at the brakes (WITHOUT TAKING OFF THE TIRES) and said it's pretty worn out and about 2mm left. Is it possible he can do such an accurate estimate without taking off the tires?

Obviously, I said not to do the brakes yet. What brakes do you guys recommend for the 05x? I've read Hawks on the forum I think that doesn't spray brake dust all over the rims. I hardly use my brakes when I drive and it only lasts 16k??? Is that normal?

Old 12-11-2006, 09:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry. I don't have an X so I can't comment on the brake pads for an X. I've only read that the Hawk pads are good (and less brake dust).

For the compression rods, I have had mine replaced twice. Seems like they start acting up every 15k or so. I had mine replaced at 15k and then again at 30k. By the way, I found a good way to reproduce the creak. I posted instructions here: https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...86#post1489486. I think it's a design issue. I've been able to reproduce the creak with the above-mentioned procedure on all loaners I've gotten.

Old 12-11-2006, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by lelg35
Sorry. I don't have an X so I can't comment on the brake pads for an X. I've only read that the Hawk pads are good (and less brake dust).

For the compression rods, I have had mine replaced twice. Seems like they start acting up every 15k or so. I had mine replaced at 15k and then again at 30k. By the way, I found a good way to reproduce the creak. I posted instructions here: https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...86#post1489486. I think it's a design issue. I've been able to reproduce the creak with the above-mentioned procedure on all loaners I've gotten.
I actually read THAT POST of yours and I followed it today. I was able to reproduce a little but no way as loud as in the morning when the car is cold.

Do you know which Hawks pad fits the X? There's a few of them from this site. http://www.mynismo.com/categories/?id=2311

Old 12-12-2006, 08:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go here:
http://www.importrp.com/search.php?mode=search
This will give you an idea of what's available and a cost basis. I bought pads from these guys and they were great. I replaced my factory pads at 21K miles, not because they were worn, but because I was putting on aftermarket wheels and wanted to reduce the dusting. I just passed 41K miles and will probably need to replace the pads and rotors next time. It looks like I still have about 4mm of pad left, so I might make it through the winter.

Old 12-12-2006, 09:52 PM
Had my compression rods replaced today. Car was driven earlier by the tech so it was already warm up. I couldn't hear any creaking noise afterward. Will try it in a cold morning. I also mentioned to the tech about the console creaking noise and the sunroof ticking noise (recently noticed). Seems like maybe he took care of the sunroof ticking noise issue but as for the console, this is the 2nd attempt by the same dealer. He probably tried the felt tape again but the console noise is still there. I'll just have to live with it.

Recently I heard some ticking noise on the roof area by the front passenger. Is that the A-Pillar???

Guys, so this is the front Hawks HPS for the X model? Not that pricey. If this is it, then I'll probably pick up a pair later on.
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...ar=&perfCode=S

Thanks...

Old 12-12-2006, 10:10 PM
hey mike

so many people complain about the compression rod, and I have had it greesed up soo many times that I am beginning to think that it is an inherent problem with infinitis rubber bushing.

the only way to fix it would be to go aftermarket...well, we will see

iam surprised that this passed NVH

ESPECIALLY on a cold weather car

yea, you can give a cursury check of the pads w/o taking off wheel.

the ceremic pads is a great idea...i have a pair in my trunk that I have not instaled yet

Old 12-12-2006, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by Neal376
hey mike

so many people complain about the compression rod, and I have had it greesed up soo many times that I am beginning to think that it is an inherent problem with infinitis rubber bushing.

the only way to fix it would be to go aftermarket...well, we will see

iam surprised that this passed NVH

ESPECIALLY on a cold weather car

yea, you can give a cursury check of the pads w/o taking off wheel.

the ceremic pads is a great idea...i have a pair in my trunk that I have not instaled yet
Neal,

What happened to your car???? WRECKED???

Which ceremic pads do you have?

I checked the pads visually again before but it's hard to give it an estimate. Does the brake gets really squeaky loud when it's about to go? Now the squeaky noise is pretty minor and doesn't happen all the time. How many miles you have on your pads?

Old 12-12-2006, 10:40 PM
i think i have 5 or 6k miles on the pads. no squeeks yet (cept comp. rod) sometimes that cold weather does it for you (like the comp rod).

when I had my pads fixed, I had my rotors swapped under that 8k warranty. absolutely ridiculous pad life. get the ceremic pads - apparentely this fixes our poor performing brakes

I ran over a curb in maine

the car is driving, but iam still trying to resolve some cosmetic/mechanical issues

the spirit of my pristene G is metaphoricaly wrecked

Last edited by Neal376; 12-12-2006 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:11 AM
i think i have 5 or 6k miles on the pads. no squeeks yet (cept comp. rod) sometimes that cold weather does it for you (like the comp rod).

when I had my pads fixed, I had my rotors swapped under that 8k warranty. absolutely ridiculous pad life. get the ceremic pads - apparentely this fixes our poor performing brakes

I ran over a curb in maine

the car is driving, but iam still trying to resolve some cosmetic/mechanical issues

the spirit of my pristene G is metaphoricaly wrecked
Damn...ran over a curb? Were you eyeing on a hot chick? J/K

So which Ceremic pads you have? Is the Hawks HPS ceremic? What's the difference between ceremic and the factory ones?

Old 12-13-2006, 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by mikeee2
Damn...ran over a curb? Were you eyeing on a hot chick? J/K

So which Ceremic pads you have? Is the Hawks HPS ceremic? What's the difference between ceremic and the factory ones?

well here is the run down...

ceremic is a pretty dam good material. capible of withstanding high heat w/o deteriorating (they use this space age stuff in nuclear reactors...and in your mugs )

anyways - pad + friction = stop. but in order to stop a rotor, you either need alot of surface area- or an aggressive aggressive pad (like high grit sand paper) so nissan gave us small rotors and a aggressive pad (thats bad for many reasons but cheaper)

more aggressive a pad = more dust (this is the general consensus)

however

ceremics tend to be more aggressive than stock yet produce little dust (they make entire brake systems out of ceremic like those gigantic ones you see on those new AMG mercedes)

therefore
you want the hawk ceremic...the HPS, although still ceremic, will be more aggressive (meant for the track) and will wear things out quicker. nonetheless the HPS will prob have less dust than oem...but w/e

anyways, after my suggestion, a friend of mine got ceremic pads instaled on his black 05 g35x and he loves em.

ceremic pads have been around for awhile now and people use them absolutely no problems. i'm sure once they get cheap enough, they will be used OEM more often

Last edited by Neal376; 12-13-2006 at 12:32 AM.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:52 AM

well here is the run down...

ceremic is a pretty dam good material. capible of withstanding high heat w/o deteriorating (they use this space age stuff in nuclear reactors...and in your mugs )

anyways - pad + friction = stop. but in order to stop a rotor, you either need alot of surface area- or an aggressive aggressive pad (like high grit sand paper) so nissan gave us small rotors and a aggressive pad (thats bad for many reasons but cheaper)

more aggressive a pad = more dust (this is the general consensus)

however

ceremics tend to be more aggressive than stock yet produce little dust (they make entire brake systems out of ceremic like those gigantic ones you see on those new AMG mercedes)

therefore
you want the hawk ceremic...the HPS, although still ceremic, will be more aggressive (meant for the track) and will wear things out quicker. nonetheless the HPS will prob have less dust than oem...but w/e

anyways, after my suggestion, a friend of mine got ceremic pads instaled on his black 05 g35x and he loves em.

ceremic pads have been around for awhile now and people use them absolutely no problems. i'm sure once they get cheap enough, they will be used OEM more often
Thanks for the lecture. Then maybe the HPS is not ceremic because they have Hawks Ceremic Pads http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...ar=&perfCode=P

Old 12-13-2006, 01:07 AM
Originally Posted by mikeee2
Thanks for the lecture. Then maybe the HPS is not ceremic because they have Hawks Ceremic Pads http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...ar=&perfCode=P

sorry, lol i'm being an idiot, i'm just trying to procrastinate/avoid work

well...from what I know, hawk has a high performance ceremic, and a standard/street ceremic. get the standard ceremic...thats what I have