G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Random Little Question Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:24 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
Originally Posted by TunerMax
NP dude. This is meriting a thread though I suggest you post it and shoot me the link.

In the meantime, I have a suspicion that your Master Window switch got a zap. have any buddies that you can swap one with to test it? Or try the local wreckers if you can get it cheap enough.

Ideally, more investigation should be done, but it's time consuming and difficult to explain via. the net as to proper testing procedures and locations. And this is a ground triggered AND power triggered circuit, it's complex for testing purposes without some decent electrical knowledge stored.

Try a new master switch if you're sure all the fuses under hood and in cab are good.
I thought that was all on the CAN bus?

Old 03-07-2012, 08:14 PM
Received 358 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by NFSP G35
everything pretty much is hooked into the CAN bus on the car. I'm not yet familiar with this system, nor the bulk of the G's wiring, I'm just getting started into it.

What I do know so, is it seems to be in bulk, a 'monitoring' system. It's looking for specific signals, signal lengths, imputs/outputs, etc.
It's complex and I have a lot to learn about it. But the little I know still points me to the Master switch. The CAN bus could be seeing something it doesn't like and is cutting the actuation off, it's possible, but it's way to complex to get into that portion. And we're not anywhere near that juncture yet.

Basically there seems to be 2 signals. 1 is the ground signal from the BCM that goes through the Master switch. Power seems to be triggered also, but is coming directly out of the BCM to the Actuators, and returns through the BCM and grounds through the Master switch. Confused yet?

In either event, if his master switch circuitry got an overload of current and popped a circuit line (happens often once you start messing with wiring after the BCM without proper protection circuitry), then all his actuators wont work, period. Everything else will but the actual actuation won't do anything.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:33 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by NFSP G35
whats the CAN bus?

Old 03-08-2012, 10:12 AM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
Originally Posted by Trickstyle
whats the CAN bus?
Short answer:

Controller
Area
Network

It's basically a two wire data bus that connects almost every electronic component in the vehicle.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:55 PM
Received 513 Likes on 420 Posts
What's the CANT bus then?

Old 03-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by My Key
What's the CANT bus then?

Old 03-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My car's a/c won't turn on and the entire display that shows the compass outside temp and all that won't turn on.
The radio still works fine.
My shift lock will not disengage unless I do it manually.

What fuse or relay should I be looking to replace?
Thanks

Old 03-08-2012, 05:32 PM
Common issue I believe it's caused by a faulty circuit board/connection in the Audio Unit. I'll be taking mine apart to try and find it and fix it sometime in the future but it's low on my list of htings to do.

There may be a write up on it I dont know, but most guys will tell you to replace your Stereo to fix it.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:00 PM
The radio is still working perfectly though. Could it be anything else

Old 03-08-2012, 06:10 PM
Anythings possible. But why would you suspect anything else, when the exact symptoms you describe point directly to a common issue that almost ALL G35's in 2003/2004 had, or will have?

But if you want to look for something else because you didn't like the answer given, that's cool.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:32 PM
There's a couple of reasons why I think it's something else:
1. I was trying to follow this DIY but failed Post #20
2. I was messing around with some of the wiring and created an unwanted short circuit which precipitated these symptoms, they didn't just come about on their own. I doubt it's likely that a short circuit under the dash could have caused my radio unit's circuit board to go bad.

Also, another thing I noticed today while driving is that I can no longer use the cruise control. It turns on but I can't set it to a certain speed..

I must point out that I really appreciate your help and I'm not saying you're wrong. I know we could all be doing something else rather than trying to help others on the internet. I just think this isn't related and if someone is willing to try to convince me otherwise or take a different stab at it then I'm all ears.

Thanks.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by incubus3612
There's a couple of reasons why I think it's something else:
1. I was trying to follow this DIY but failed Post #20
2. I was messing around with some of the wiring and created an unwanted short circuit which precipitated these symptoms, they didn't just come about on their own. I doubt it's likely that a short circuit under the dash could have caused my radio unit's circuit board to go bad.

Also, another thing I noticed today while driving is that I can no longer use the cruise control. It turns on but I can't set it to a certain speed..

I must point out that I really appreciate your help and I'm not saying you're wrong. I know we could all be doing something else rather than trying to help others on the internet. I just think this isn't related and if someone is willing to try to convince me otherwise or take a different stab at it then I'm all ears.

Thanks.
^Should've included the recent tampering/short in your post brah.

The obvious question: Have you checked all your fuses? Everything you mention is associated with a blown fuse.

And all of the items are linked to your Brake switch, except the HVAC screen.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by TunerMax
^Should've included the recent tampering/short in your post brah.

The obvious question: Have you checked all your fuses?
Yes that was my mistake.
No I haven't checked all of the fuses yet, as I don't have a tool for that and most of them aren't see-thru.
I was hoping someone here could point me to the correct one, but I guess I'll just have to find it myself.

Also I should mention I left the battery disconnected overnight and that didn't fix the issue.

I'm assuming there is a fuse that deals with the brake switch?

Edit: Apparently, there are four fuses that have some control over the braking system and if any one of the four goes out, it will lock the shifter.

Last edited by WhipWhitaker; 03-08-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:22 PM
All you really need to quickly check fuses, without even pulling them out, under $6 at any local parts store:

12 VDC Incandecent test light.Hook the clamp to a good ground, and probe one side of the fuse with the key in the "ON" position. You should have power, now check the opposite side, you should have power there too. If you have power on ONLY ONE SIDE of any fuse, that fuse is blown.

As to the specific one to check, They're labled. But i don't know which one it is and I don't have my car here to check for you. With the above tool though you can easily check all of them in under 2 minutes.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:49 PM
Thanks for all the help again.

I'll post back after I check all the fuses

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Random Little Question Thread