G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Random Little Question Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:52 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Most members have the HKS, but more are going for Tanabe and Sebring setups as well.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:35 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Sebring will always be my choice. Cheapest and best sounded I've had.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:05 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
How much do the sebring's usually run?

Old 07-09-2012, 08:53 AM
Received 358 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by TheGThirty5
lol its cool, i noticed from your posts. Reason i ask is because my mecanic wanted to make some custom test pipes and exhaust for me. in the long run it might cost more though.
Making test pipes should be cheaper if you do it yourself. BUT if you're paying someone...... That I don't know.
But you can get something like the Fast Intentions much cheaper than ART, they come with Sebring resonators and non-foulers.

The hardest part for you doing custom will be the non-foulers, you'll have to purchase 2 of them them as well as 2 resonators and 4 flanges, and 4 gaskets.

Doing the guestimate math in my head I'd wager to say you'd be better off just buying the fast intentions test pipes....Unless you don't care about rasp.

Originally Posted by The Stimulation
Sebring will always be my choice. Cheapest and best sounded I've had.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:09 PM
DVG
Received 143 Likes on 117 Posts
Alright...Im starting to look at suspension and braking.

Thoughts on this setup?

Nismo 350Z shocks&struts (Already have this)
Motordyne sway bars
GTspec strut bar
Not sure if the under-car chassis bracing is worth it...experiences?
NRD polished hood dampers (throwing this in because of statement below)

I will be getting the above items at the same time, so would like to buy from one vendor only. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Paired with an akebono big brake kit...at some point
Would the akebono big brake kit be worth the investment over...say 2005 calipers and good pads?

One more thing - will the akebono big brake kit fit with the OEM 17s or will I have to look at new wheels too?

Any input welcome.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:15 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
^ you lowered? The stock endlinks are poop, you are getting a better Swaybar so Id look into upgrading to adjustable endlinks so you can get the pre load off of them from being lowered also better take the extra load.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:28 PM
DVG
Itll be lowered as much as 350z revised on a g sedan when I install the suspension...1" front, 0.5" back from stock.

What brands of endlinks are respected?

Old 07-10-2012, 07:54 PM
DVG
Also, would having both a strut bar and a GT spec front brace be redundant? I have a Zspeed underpanel and am concerned about fitment.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:37 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by DVG
Itll be lowered as much as 350z revised on a g sedan when I install the suspension...1" front, 0.5" back from stock.

What brands of endlinks are respected?
I hear SPLs are good, search the forum should be a couple to choose from.

for the chassis bracing, My opinion on it, is that its mostly for show.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by DVG
Alright...Im starting to look at suspension and braking.

Thoughts on this setup?

Nismo 350Z shocks&struts (Already have this)
Motordyne sway bars
GTspec strut bar
Not sure if the under-car chassis bracing is worth it...experiences?
NRD polished hood dampers (throwing this in because of statement below)

I will be getting the above items at the same time, so would like to buy from one vendor only. Does anyone have any suggestions?
unless you're doing some form of racing, the only thing you really need is the Shocks & struts. FSTB isn't a bad thing to have.

The rest is just going to give you a rougher ride, the benefits will be lost on most DD's. If youre very picky/agressive in your DD duties, I'd recommend a RSB and that's it.

Originally Posted by DVG
Paired with an akebono big brake kit...at some point
Would the akebono big brake kit be worth the investment over...say 2005 calipers and good pads?

One more thing - will the akebono big brake kit fit with the OEM 17s or will I have to look at new wheels too?

Any input welcome.
The big downfall of the Akebono (any BBK, really), is you DO need bigger rims. 17" will ABSOLUTELY not fit. I'm not even sure you can sneak 18" rims over them, but if you can I can assure you it will be only a few specs/designs that fit.

honestly our stock brakes are pretty good for most activities, better than the vast majority of cars of this era and size. (looking at you, maxima)

Old 07-10-2012, 11:41 PM
DVG
Originally Posted by TunerMax
unless you're doing some form of racing, the only thing you really need is the Shocks & struts. FSTB isn't a bad thing to have.

The rest is just going to give you a rougher ride, the benefits will be lost on most DD's. If youre very picky/agressive in your DD duties, I'd recommend a RSB and that's it.

The big downfall of the Akebono (any BBK, really), is you DO need bigger rims. 17" will ABSOLUTELY not fit. I'm not even sure you can sneak 18" rims over them, but if you can I can assure you it will be only a few specs/designs that fit.

honestly our stock brakes are pretty good for most activities, better than the vast majority of cars of this era and size. (looking at you, maxima)
FSTB = Front strut tower bar?
RSB = Rear Strut bar?

I am moving away from DD on this car, hoping to pick up another car that is actually good on gas for DD (Ford focus...?) in the next 3 years or so.

I am liking the reviews of sway bars and the price point, so I am seriously considering those.

The front strut bar would be nice, if nothing else it looks good. I havent seen a rear strut bar made for sedans, but how would the rear chassis reinforcements compare to that?

Are any of the under-car chassis reinforcements worthwhile, I certainly dont want to get all the pieces, but if there are 1 or 2 pieces that have a significant improvement I will look into them. They dont sound worth the money from the input Ive gotten so far.

Yeah I wanted to keep the 17" wheels for winter tires... maybe I will just upgrade to 2005-2007 calipers + drilled/slotted rotors and good pads. I hope that will give better braking performance.

When I rip through curves, I feel like the braking is definitely the weak point. It could also be body roll though, but I spend a lot more time on the brake than the gas when Im trying to go fast. Acceleration is phenomenal though

Old 07-11-2012, 12:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V35 double din facia

Hi Guys i just bought my first v35 its a sedan 2003.I want to put a double din facia for a touchscreen into the car, where is the cheapest place online to purchase one which is compatible?

If someone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:10 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
^Anything that helps support the unibody is worth it.

The following users liked this post:
Jason Colombo (07-11-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by DVG
FSTB = Front strut tower bar?
RSB = Rear Strut bar?
FSTB = Front strut tower bar? Yup
RSB = Rear SWAY bar

Originally Posted by DVG
I am moving away from DD on this car, hoping to pick up another car that is actually good on gas for DD (Ford focus...?) in the next 3 years or so.
So what are you going to use the G for? Fairweahter cruiser? Show car? Track car?

Originally Posted by DVG
I havent seen a rear strut bar made for sedans, but how would the rear chassis reinforcements compare to that?
A 'RSTB' -- it's already built into the design of the rear tower mount/cross brace.
I'd be surprised if one is even made for htis car, and if it was, it'd likely be pointless

Originally Posted by DVG
Are any of the under-car chassis reinforcements worthwhile,
No. Not in my opinion... unless tracking and really trying to mess with the suspension. And even then, those types of mods put you into a much higher class, one that the G, especially sedan, will not compete well in.

Unless you mean something like a rear subframe connector/rear diff bushings, etc, that stuff will help acceleration a decent bit. But subframe connectors still class you higher if tracking and are hardly worth the higher classing.

Originally Posted by DVG
Yeah I wanted to keep the 17" wheels for winter tires... maybe I will just upgrade to 2005-2007 calipers + drilled/slotted rotors and good pads. I hope that will give better braking performance.
Good idea. Brembo/05-07 is a nice choice if you don't need much improvement (still don't think you really need improvement if you're not tracking, but not my car).

Originally Posted by DVG
When I rip through curves, I feel like the braking is definitely the weak point. It could also be body roll though
You should not be braking in corners
You brake before the corner.

Unless you're racing this car or seriously feel you need marginally better braking, I'd just get some better pads. And maybe take it for an AutoX event near you one weekend to learn the threshold/capability of hte car as well as how to brake/steer and corner optimally. Well worth the $30 it usually costs.

If you really want to get better brakes, and handling along with it, buy better tires. Better tires will stop that car faster than any brakes you can fit under a 17" wheel, and you won't even have to change the pads you have now.

Last edited by TunerMax; 07-11-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:54 PM
DVG
I guess a fairweather cruiser would be the best description, I will probably begin tracking it every now and then. It will still be a DD until I get another car though, which will be a few years.

Right now I have cheapo canadian tire pads, so I think going back to OEM should help quite a bit.

I do brake before corners lol, on the road near my house that I like I find it does roll quite a bit through curves, and I would like a more stable setup. The front and lower ties arent that expensive and from what Ive seen everyone who gets them loves them.

As for tires, I am getting Continental ExtremContact DWs mounted on OEM 19s pretty soon, they looked like good tires.

As for tracking, I just want to go out and have some fun pushing the car further than I normally can. Why would simple braces put me in another division though?

Originally Posted by TunerMax
FSTB = Front strut tower bar? Yup
RSB = Rear SWAY bar

So what are you going to use the G for? Fairweahter cruiser? Show car? Track car?

A 'RSTB' -- it's already built into the design of the rear tower mount/cross brace.
I'd be surprised if one is even made for htis car, and if it was, it'd likely be pointless

No. Not in my opinion... unless tracking and really trying to mess with the suspension. And even then, those types of mods put you into a much higher class, one that the G, especially sedan, will not compete well in.

Unless you mean something like a rear subframe connector/rear diff bushings, etc, that stuff will help acceleration a decent bit. But subframe connectors still class you higher if tracking and are hardly worth the higher classing.

Good idea. Brembo/05-07 is a nice choice if you don't need much improvement (still don't think you really need improvement if you're not tracking, but not my car).

You should not be braking in corners
You brake before the corner.

Unless you're racing this car or seriously feel you need marginally better braking, I'd just get some better pads. And maybe take it for an AutoX event near you one weekend to learn the threshold/capability of hte car as well as how to brake/steer and corner optimally. Well worth the $30 it usually costs.

If you really want to get better brakes, and handling along with it, buy better tires. Better tires will stop that car faster than any brakes you can fit under a 17" wheel, and you won't even have to change the pads you have now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Random Little Question Thread