G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Random Little Question Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does this need any extra parts, or is this all I will need to attach the z-tube to my 2003 g35 sedan?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/STILLEN-Z-TU...db8366&vxp=mtr

it says it doesn't come with "factory couplers", but don't I already have those. I'm in the process of trying to purchase this an a 5/16 plenum spacer, want to make sure I'm buying the right things. Told myself I wouldn't mod this car, it's been 72 hours and i'm already throwing money away on it.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:02 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by mfindigital
does this need any extra parts, or is this all I will need to attach the z-tube to my 2003 g35 sedan? http://www.ebay.com/itm/STILLEN-Z-TU...db8366&vxp=mtr it says it doesn't come with "factory couplers", but don't I already have those. I'm in the process of trying to purchase this an a 5/16 plenum spacer, want to make sure I'm buying the right things. Told myself I wouldn't mod this car, it's been 72 hours and i'm already throwing money away on it.
you're good man. Use the couplers you already have and pair it now with a revup box from a revup G

The following users liked this post:
mfindigital (01-20-2015)
Old 01-20-2015, 11:03 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Yes, you already have the couplers.

The following users liked this post:
mfindigital (01-20-2015)
Old 01-20-2015, 11:23 PM
next one is, if my g35 sedan has 17inch wheels, that most likely means it came with the sports suspension, correct? I'm looking at getting some springs (z/coupe combo), not sure to tell which suspension I have, no interested in switching over to z struts, don't want my stock ones to wear out too quick.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:18 AM
I can haz potato?

Received 1,016 Likes on 791 Posts
sabertooth tiger
does this need any extra parts, or is this all I will need to attach the z-tube to my 2003 g35 sedan?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/STILLEN-Z-TU...db8366&vxp=mtr

it says it doesn't come with "factory couplers", but don't I already have those. I'm in the process of trying to purchase this an a 5/16 plenum spacer, want to make sure I'm buying the right things. Told myself I wouldn't mod this car, it's been 72 hours and i'm already throwing money away on it.
You waited that long? I started modding before I took legal possession of it, haha. Had the car washer people at the dealership debadge the trunk before I even got the keys and drove it off the lot

next one is, if my g35 sedan has 17inch wheels, that most likely means it came with the sports suspension, correct? I'm looking at getting some springs (z/coupe combo), not sure to tell which suspension I have, no interested in switching over to z struts, don't want my stock ones to wear out too quick.
Doubtful since I think the 17" came stock, and w/sport package you'd get the 18" ones. Post a pic of the wheels.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:14 PM
Received 142 Likes on 123 Posts
^yeah 17's came on em stock I think the 03 got 17" 5 spoke if it was sport package.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:37 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts
03-04: Sport package = Red struts, 5 spoke 17"
05-06: Sport package = Red struts, 5 dual spoke 18", I believe orange stitching on steering wheel, VLSD

Old 01-24-2015, 12:00 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Should i get a grounding kit for a manual?

Old 01-24-2015, 12:06 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by JHereth22
Should i get a grounding kit for a manual?
https://g35driver.com/forums/general...it-do-6mt.html

Old 01-25-2015, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Potenzas will barely last 30k miles haha. the DWS are an easy all season choice for extended use. I have heard of a couple forum members who get 70K out of them.
I did some final checking and looked at Discount Tire, they have their own version of the continentals: ControlContact Sport AS which is supposed to be similar to the DWS, but since its exclusive to their company I assume they get a better profit margin. I think I can still request the DWS to be ordered, but would have to see how it prices out. Unfortunately there wasn't a ton of info on their Contis to know how it compares side to side.

Discount Tire also recommended a Yokohama YK580 which i believe is yet again an exclusive for them, it has a 10k mile longer treadlife, but seems to be mixed reviews if its better or not than the Conti's, again not many reviews to sort through. The other thing that I think is going to push me away from the Yokos is they are like 4-5 lbs heavier per tire so it would add a fair amount of unsprung weight that I am unsure is made up for in worthy added tread.

So I think I am once again narrowed down to the Continentals, but just unsure if I should go with the more known and nationally found EC DWS, or try the exclusive CCS AS.

Any input is appreciated to help me make my choice.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:28 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by MrTBahgs
I did some final checking and looked at Discount Tire, they have their own version of the continentals: ControlContact Sport AS which is supposed to be similar to the DWS, but since its exclusive to their company I assume they get a better profit margin. I think I can still request the DWS to be ordered, but would have to see how it prices out. Unfortunately there wasn't a ton of info on their Contis to know how it compares side to side.

Discount Tire also recommended a Yokohama YK580 which i believe is yet again an exclusive for them, it has a 10k mile longer treadlife, but seems to be mixed reviews if its better or not than the Conti's, again not many reviews to sort through. The other thing that I think is going to push me away from the Yokos is they are like 4-5 lbs heavier per tire so it would add a fair amount of unsprung weight that I am unsure is made up for in worthy added tread.

So I think I am once again narrowed down to the Continentals, but just unsure if I should go with the more known and nationally found EC DWS, or try the exclusive CCS AS.

Achilles ATS sport, brah. Got all 4 for $440 brand new. Great treadwear, but definitely a summer tire. Traction in the rain sucks, but I live in SoCal, so I could care less. Great tire for the money.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:22 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by MrTBahgs

I'm one of those who loves the DWS. On my second set, and i got 70K out of the first set.

Just drove around all blizzard long with these on my X and did quite fine. Attemped to get some coffee through an uplowed drivethru and watched car after car try to enter and get stuck in the unplowed, churned up snow. For the hell of it, i wanted to see if my car could make it...and it did. I was regularly driving through snow deeper than the ground clearance of the car without much issue.

Very impressed with snow performance from this tire. It's NOT equivalent to a snow tire however, but for an all-season matched with the AWD system on our cars, i am quite comfortable driving around in the snow without getting stuck. Would i drive aggressively on the snow with it? No. I'd get a set of studded snow tires before I did that.

Dry and rain performance is pretty standard. No complaints here and i've driven in some torrential downpours.

The snow performance, and the 70K miles i got out of my first set is what made me get another set. I'm at 40-45K now with them, and still plenty of thread.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
I'm one of those who loves the DWS. On my second set, and i got 70K out of the first set.

Just drove around all blizzard long with these on my X and did quite fine. Attemped to get some coffee through an uplowed drivethru and watched car after car try to enter and get stuck in the unplowed, churned up snow. For the hell of it, i wanted to see if my car could make it...and it did. I was regularly driving through snow deeper than the ground clearance of the car without much issue.

Very impressed with snow performance from this tire. It's NOT equivalent to a snow tire however, but for an all-season matched with the AWD system on our cars, i am quite comfortable driving around in the snow without getting stuck. Would i drive aggressively on the snow with it? No. I'd get a set of studded snow tires before I did that.

Dry and rain performance is pretty standard. No complaints here and i've driven in some torrential downpours.

The snow performance, and the 70K miles i got out of my first set is what made me get another set. I'm at 40-45K now with them, and still plenty of thread.
Glad to hear the positive review.
I now live in East Texas so snow is no longer and issue for me, but I still want the all season tire. The guy i spoke with at Discount Tire (DT) made it sound like their version, the ControlContact Sport AS (CCS), is a bit less aggressive so it should be a bit quieter while still being right on par in performance to the DWS. Also the DWS would have to be ordered which isn't an issue now, but if I ever had some tire problem, I think I'd rather go with the one they keep regularly in stock so its a simple fix. I have read the only main negative for the DWS is that it has a softer sidewall and perhaps their CCS is a bit firmer as a plus too, not that I regular go hard into corners.

So hopefully the DT version will last the full 50k or more miles like the DWS and I will be happy with that plus reduce some road noise I have currently.

On a partial side note, the road noise I need to look into a bit more because it may also be (or entirely be) a wheel bearing going out instead. It makes some odd noises and I will have to see if the pitch changes with speed or turning. I know when turning a bit I seem to get a pulsating sound as opposed to a constant hum, but I dont know much to diagnose it. I plan to try and find some shop that can ride with me and have a listen.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:34 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Road noise is not something i really find excessive with the DWS. In fact, i would say there isn't really any road noise, but after about 110K miles on them, perhaps I'm just used to it? But windows up on the highway they aren't really that loud....until they are worn out. The last 5K miles or so of life I did notice low speed noise from them.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:10 AM
Hey guys newbe question here. Do I need a pull to run a set of 19x9.5 and 10.5, 22 offset, 225/35 and 245/35 on my 06 sedan? Thanks in advance.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Random Little Question Thread