G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Front, Driver's side CV axle replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 09:20 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Front, Driver's side CV axle replacement

AWD car of course. Anyone every replace the front driver's side CV axle?

I'd done the passenger side one, but looks like the driver's side one bolts on with 3-4 small bolts.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Seda..._Sedan/fax.pdf

Page 19 says to replace the bolts after each disassembly. Anyone have a P/N or am I stuck going to Nissan/Infiniti and painfully looking through their parts computer and paying $7/bolt.

My symptoms are an occasional clunking, and not a "card-in-spokes" sound coming from the front end when I move. The sound varies in volume and I cannot determine which side it is. It does go away when I turn right, and I don't suspect a wheel bearing because the sound does not change if I rock the car at speed left and right to shift the weight. I get various clunks when reversing or going forward as well....seems like the driver's side is the origin but i'm not 100%

I changed the pass side CV axle last spring due to a torn boot. I still have it and can reboot it and install to see if the reman is the cause of the noise, but I also just ordered a driver's side CV axle.

I keep wondering how much longer I want to deal with troubleshooting these things.

Old 11-08-2019, 11:21 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
AWD car of course. Anyone every replace the front driver's side CV axle?

I'd done the passenger side one, but looks like the driver's side one bolts on with 3-4 small bolts.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Seda..._Sedan/fax.pdf

Page 19 says to replace the bolts after each disassembly. Anyone have a P/N or am I stuck going to Nissan/Infiniti and painfully looking through their parts computer and paying $7/bolt.

My symptoms are an occasional clunking, and not a "card-in-spokes" sound coming from the front end when I move. The sound varies in volume and I cannot determine which side it is. It does go away when I turn right, and I don't suspect a wheel bearing because the sound does not change if I rock the car at speed left and right to shift the weight. I get various clunks when reversing or going forward as well....seems like the driver's side is the origin but i'm not 100%

I changed the pass side CV axle last spring due to a torn boot. I still have it and can reboot it and install to see if the reman is the cause of the noise, but I also just ordered a driver's side CV axle.

I keep wondering how much longer I want to deal with troubleshooting these things.
Mustang, did you end up replacing your front left axle? Was it the cause of the clunking in the front end?