G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

All Season vs Summer tires?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All Season vs Summer tires?

I've had my new '05 Sedan (Sport Pkg) for 6 days now and I already hate the "Horenza" ER33's. (What, in the name of all that is good and pure, was Infiniti thinking? )

Anyway, I'm reviewing my options and am looking for some advice on Ultra High Performance tires. I REALLY want a high performing tire for my "spirited" driving style, but I live in Kansas City, which is far enough north to expect at least several days of ice and snow every winter. So I'm considering "all seasons", provided I can find one that provides great cornering and steering response. But I'm curious how many of you are satisfied with running "summer" tires year round, even if you encounter a bit of snow/ice during winter months.

Let me know your thoughts and experiences. Thanks!

-T

Old 08-20-2005, 06:29 PM
Hey - here in San Diego the summer tires are no problem! On the bright side, these tires should be gone fairly quick. With a threadwear rating of 140, I'm expecting a year tops.

Old 08-20-2005, 08:20 PM
I know people will recommend winter tires on separate rims, but I don't think that's practical for me. I used to have from Goodyear GS-D's which probably handled better than your Turanzas. My first G had Turanza All-Seasons and they didn't corner all that well - wanted to roll over a lot.

The GS-D's were great until it rained and absolutely unusable in cold weather. They were seriously so bad that I slid all over the place in colder, wet weather and when it snowed I couldn't get enough traction to get out of my alley, much less drive anywhere. Summers typically have very little weather tread. In cold weather the compound gets hard and they become extremely dangerous.

I ended up buying new Pilot Sport All-Seasons in the middle of winter and they were phenomenal in snow and rain. In warm weather, they're pretty sticky (not quite as much as the Goodyear summers, but very good) and the handling is awesome. I don't think you can do any better on all-seasons. I was interested in the Avon AS550's but I didn't see enough of a track record when I had to buy tires. May try them next time if I see some great reviews as they are much less expensive that the Michelins.

Last edited by kysrsoze; 08-20-2005 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:34 PM
Once, when I was picking coffee beans in Guatamala (I loved the Ususal Suspects). Kysrsoze, Did you get 235s or 215? ( I can't find Piolts A/S in 215)

Old 08-20-2005, 10:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Honestly, Teeter, I don't know what the climate is like there in KC and how many days you mean by "several days", but most summer tires do still deal very well with rain, but just don't work well with ice and snow, and extreme cold temperatures. If it's literally 10-15 days a year of snow / ice, I'd recommend going with the tires you want for the summer, and going to discount tire, buying some ugly steel wheels with cheap-*** winter tires or all-seasons on them and a set of hubcaps (if you care); you could probably pick up a set of wheels and tires for $200 or less just for strapping on during the cold weather. They sell packages like this just for this type of deal.

I ran F1's over the winter in TX. This year we had a couple snow days and about a week of ice. It was treacherous with those tires on but doable. I also had the option though (didn't take it) of driving my wife's Jetta on the days it was bad. It has all-seasons.

Old 08-21-2005, 02:06 AM
Originally Posted by kysrsoze
I ended up buying new Pilot Sport All-Seasons in the middle of winter and they were phenomenal in snow and rain. In warm weather, they're pretty sticky (not quite as much as the Goodyear summers, but very good) and the handling is awesome. I don't think you can do any better on all-seasons. I was interested in the Avon AS550's but I didn't see enough of a track record when I had to buy tires. May try them next time if I see some great reviews as they are much less expensive that the Michelins.
Ditto on the Pilot A/S in the 235/50/17 for my 2003.5 6MT sedan. I gave up little in the handling department and got a lot in the foul weather handling. Sure wish they were cheaper, but hey, the good stuff is worth it.

Ken

Old 08-21-2005, 09:00 AM
I just wish I had more options for my '05 6MT. TireRack only shows 7 tires in the 235/45R18 size, and 2 of them are winter tires. I am not opposed to running dedicated winter tires for the rough NY winter, but I cannot find and adequate summer tire. Anyone know of one that TireRack doesn't sell?

By the way, the Horenzas suck. I know we all know that, but it's cathartic to say, so I do every chance I get.

Old 08-22-2005, 03:20 AM
Originally Posted by mrdwaters
Once, when I was picking coffee beans in Guatamala (I loved the Ususal Suspects). Kysrsoze, Did you get 235s or 215? ( I can't find Piolts A/S in 215)
Thanks mrd. Most people have no idea where my handle came from. Let's just say you never want to meet me in person.

I actually got the 225's. I didn't want 215's and I found that 235's were the same wheel circumference but didn't want all the overhang - not as good for cornering. I love the setup - brutal cornering ability (I have the sport suspension). It feels just as good as the GS-D's without the death-trap rain/snow performance. All-around good. The speedo is evidently off by 1mph, meaning 60 on the speedometer is actually 59. No big deal - might even get me out of a ticket.

Last edited by kysrsoze; 08-22-2005 at 03:23 AM.