G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

3.7L in Sedan - Not Happening

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 01:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Awesome stuff, thanks for posting up the pics. How does it look in person?
To be honest ... I wasn't feeling it. Didn't really do anything for me. I looked that the Coupe ... then my sedan ... back at the coupe ... back at the sedan ... and I really like my sedan ...

guess that validates my purchasing decision ...

Old 04-23-2007, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by InfinitiFreak
Does it still have that nice deep exhaust sound!!
The guy didn't run it for me ... so I can't comment on the exhaust sound ...

Old 04-23-2007, 01:47 PM
I think that Silver may not be the best color for this car. I would love to see it in Black, Red or even White to possibly help with some of the "bland" styling many refer to.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Edit: Didn't see a previous post.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:49 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by G35er_in_TO
I was on my home yesterday, and there's a guy that lives by my house who always has the newest Nissan and Infiniti cars in his driveway. I always figured he owns a dealership or something, as the cars always change, and the cars always have dealer plates on them. Anyways ... I was driving by (in my brand new 2007 G35 sport w/ Nav + Tech - which finally arrived 2 weeks ago), and I see in his driveway ...

THE 2008 G37 COUPE! I live in Toronto, Canada by the way.

I slammed on the brakes ... parked in front of house to take a look at it in person. I finally said to myself - gotta knock on his door. So I do. I introduced myself, came out and asked him - "How the hell do you have a G37sitting on your drive way? I thought they weren't being released until June?".

He told me he works for Corporate Planning for Infiniti, and that he always gets the new cars before they are released. Anyways ... we got to talking about the 2007 G35 and the G37, and he said that the power difference between the two are barley noticable. He also went on to tell me that the 3.7 litre engine will never make it into the sedan as it WON'T FIT. The engine is too big. That should answer everyone's question as to why Infiniti decided to go w/ a 3.5 for the sedan and a 3.7 for the coupe.

He also told me that he should have the GTR on his driveway in the not too far future. I asked him if he knew about pricing. He said its too early to tell, but he said around $80k Canadian (about $71K US).

Just so no one thinks I'm full of shiat, I took some pics - I didn't have a camera (other than my piece of sh*t blackberry camera). Here are the pics I took.

Attachment 68394Attachment 68395
Great Pics and great info!!!!! Thanks for letting us know

Old 04-23-2007, 01:53 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I apologize. I didn't know who I was dealing with. Please proceed with the rumor mill.
This I don't think qualifies as a rumor chief. This guy is fairly high up the infiniti latter. As of now I completely trust this info, but years down the road this may change (infiniti's stance and engineering improvements may have changed as well), but this doesn't make him a lier or this a "rumor". He said in his first message that the 3.7 was too tall for the new sedan, (which already has a noticable bulge in the hood). That should be clear enough even for you.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:56 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Well you pretty much believe anything that's fed to you. So you believe and I don't. So what? Does it really matter?

But just for my information. Can you detail how the 3.7 is "taller" than the 3.5? thanks.

Originally Posted by b00stedjustin
This I don't think qualifies as a rumor chief. This guy is fairly high up the infiniti latter. As of now I completely trust this info, but years down the road this may change (infiniti's stance and engineering improvements may have changed as well), but this doesn't make him a lier or this a "rumor". He said in his first message that the 3.7 was too tall for the new sedan, (which already has a noticable bulge in the hood). That should be clear enough even for you.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:01 PM
Well you pretty much believe anything that's fed to you. So you believe and I don't. So what? Does it really matter?

But just for my information. Can you detail how the 3.7 is "taller" than the 3.5? thanks.
This should some what answer your question:

Originally Posted by gfmiller
The new 3.7 has all new valve gear that can vary the valve lift and duration. While the displacement increase is almost insignificant, the new valve gear and new heads may be considerably bulkier.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:01 PM

I'd say it's definitely rumor... and seeing how the car looks almost the same way as the sedan does, until I see engine bay pics or a side by side I wouldn't be convinced otherwise...

Old 04-23-2007, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by G35er_in_TO
This should some what answer your question:
I think the key part of that guess is that the new gear may be bulkier. We're all guessing, and if you saw the car at the NY Auto Show you wouldn't say that it looks any bulkier up front than the sedan.

The only reason why I'd see Infiniti saying this now is because the new G just came out... and I know we are ALL gonna be pissed if they turn around and say they're dropping the new engine into the 09 model -- and it will affect sales of the 07s and 08s.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:06 PM
i like the front bumper better than the bumper on the S model sedan though. I wonder if its swappable?

Old 04-23-2007, 02:08 PM
Bad Toro
That's nice. I'm sure he knows what he's talking about in terms of marketing, but I'm not buying that "it won't fit" argument. The 3.7L's bores are longer by 6mm each. 6mm x 6 isn't much of a difference to fit into the sedan's bay.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by viguera
I'd say it's definitely rumor... and seeing how the car looks almost the same way as the sedan does, until I see engine bay pics or a side by side I wouldn't be convinced otherwise...
Can I just say something - why would a guy from infiniti Corporate Planning, tell me (a neighbour on his street) something that was complete BS??? I hardly think his intent was to start a chain of rumors? He had no idea that I would come on here and spread any amount of information? Its not like I'm w/ the press, and he wanted to generate some "buzz".

Take it for what it is - that's all I have to say. If you believe it, great, if not, then find an answer some where else. I have yet to find someone credible who can answer this question for me, until now. I for one believe him (as he really sounded like he knew what he was talking about).

Old 04-23-2007, 02:09 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I've been looking at pics of the new VQ37HR. There's an motor that adjusts the valve lift that might indicate a taller engine. But pics of the motor doesn't seem to clearly indcate a taller engine.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:13 PM
I think it is completely believable that the engine may be taller due to VVEL. I remember people with 1st gen coupes couldn't fit a tiny 5/8" intake spacer without having a conflict with the hood. Didn't they also say they changed the steering on the new coupe? They could have easily engineered the new car around the new engine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 3.7L in Sedan - Not Happening