3.7L in Sedan - Not Happening

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 08:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
where in Toronto is he?.. ..ahaha

Old 04-23-2007, 08:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Listen - this guy gets everything from Sentra's to G37's ... its not like he's driving only high-end cars all the time ... I've seen the crappiest little Nissan's on his driveway, to the highest end M series. This was the only time I realy stopped (I mean - knowing that the G37 was months from release and all).

His house really isn't anything special to be honest w/ you, and he parks that close to the wall to ensure that his kids/wife don't knick the doors.

He only has one garage, and it would be a pain in the a*s I guess, to move all of the cars in the driveway every time he want's to drive the car (especially when he has to give it back every few days).

I will see if he still has it, and take a few more pics to further satisfy everyone's pessimism.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by G35er_in_TO
are you mocking me? geezzz ... you try to spead some info around, and there's always a smart A*s or two who have to stir shiat

Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed? I wasn't trying to mock you at all, just telling you what my Nissan engineer friends said. Frankly, I don't really care about this issue. I just bought a sedan and love it.

I am not saying the people I spoke with are right and your source is wrong, I was just thanking you for posting pictures.

Sorry if you misunderstood me, wasn't trying to mock you at all.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That car looks like it stickers for only $25K. For some reason, the G37 looks cheaper than the G35, IMHO.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:46 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gspotter
That car looks like it stickers for only $25K. For some reason, the G37 looks cheaper than the G35, IMHO.
And we all know the only reason to own a coupe is because it looks expensive.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:00 PM
infiniti may not put a 3.7 L in g sedan, but you can bet they will modify something on engine and exterior by 2009 that will make the 2007-2008 owners envious (just like the revision of 2005-2006 over 2003-2004, which one looker better, the former obviously).

just cant wait till 2009 g sedan!

Old 04-23-2007, 10:42 PM
Well ... I just got back from the gym and drove by this guys house (w/ digital camera in hand ready to take some quick shots, albeit, it was dark out) ... but the G37 is officially no longer there. In its place was Nissan Xtera (I think that's how you spell it).

If this guys happens to have the G37 in his driveway again, I'll definitely take some higher res shots. Sorry.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:22 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by infini_
Somehow i knew that 3.7L engine wont make it to the 2008 model. It just does not make business sense for Nissan/Infiniti to spend RnD money to bump up HP on the same engine (2005 & 2006 model year).... only to replace it the next year. They might change it for the 2009 model.... but i dont see it happening for 08.... if it happens at all.
You could be right that Nissan may postpone the VQ37 in the sedan another year. Look at their recent history with the VQ series:

In 2000, Nissan introduced a revised 220-225hp VQ30 to replace the 190hp VQ30 used in the Maxima/I30. Revisions included slightly reworked heads, a little work with the pistons, revised cams, and an entirely different and quite elaborate variable intake manifold which was largely responsible for the bump up in power. That motor lasted all of 20 months before it was replaced with the entirely new 240-255hp VQ35.

Then came the RevUp VQ35 which lasted 22 months. That motor used a revised lower intake manifold, variable valve timing on the exhaust cam, different connecting rods, and pistons.

From the pictures I've seen of the VQ37, it appears that the intake manifold system is carryover from the VQ35HR so there is no engineering loss in terms of dollars. It is quite possible that many of the components used in the VQ35HR short block are carried over also. It is also quite possible that the VQ35HR short block will live on in other Nissan models.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:11 AM
To be honest ... I wasn't feeling it. Didn't really do anything for me. I looked that the Coupe ... then my sedan ... back at the coupe ... back at the sedan ... and I really like my sedan ...

guess that validates my purchasing decision ...
Good choice!
The 07 Sedan is definitely the way to go now if your sticking with Infiniti

Old 04-24-2007, 01:13 AM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Well you pretty much believe anything that's fed to you. So you believe and I don't. So what? Does it really matter?

But just for my information. Can you detail how the 3.7 is "taller" than the 3.5? thanks.
Can you picture VVEL sitting on top of the cams and covers? No details, just imagine; it's not so hard to do...

Old 04-24-2007, 05:29 AM
Never thought I'd say this but the new G sedan looks better than the new G coupe. And I'd always thought the 1st gen sedan looked funny compared to the 1st gen G35 coupes... Infiniti why?

Old 04-24-2007, 08:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey thanks for sharing. i've got a guy who lives near me and always seems to have the newest cars from gm on his driveway. i remember seeing the new solstice and z06 a few months before they ever hit the showrooms. he doesn't have a fancy home or driveway either. don't know what he does and don't really care... so i'm not sure why people are questioning the validity solely on the look of the home itself. i guess jealousy will do that. and the comments on toronto being freezing cold... were hilarious, made my day and further confirmed my beliefs on southern stereotypical notions. (ps. i use to live in south carolina.)

in terms of the engine... i doesn't make any manufacturing sense for nissan to restrict it solely to the g-coupe alone. it's all about economies of scale... and nissan probably tries harder than most to do it, by just looking at the value u receive from their cars. i don't think it's impossible to think that this engine may be exclusive in the g-coupe for the first year... but i think it's an absolute guarantee that this engine will find it's way into many models in the nissan/infiniti lineup. just as u see the same 3.5l trickle on through the fx, m, altima, etc...

just my 2 cents.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:00 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by giddyup69
hey thanks for sharing. i've got a guy who lives near me and always seems to have the newest cars from gm on his driveway. i remember seeing the new solstice and z06 a few months before they ever hit the showrooms. he doesn't have a fancy home or driveway either. don't know what he does and don't really care... so i'm not sure why people are questioning the validity solely on the look of the home itself. i guess jealousy will do that. and the comments on toronto being freezing cold... were hilarious, made my day and further confirmed my beliefs on southern stereotypical notions. (ps. i use to live in south carolina.)

in terms of the engine... i doesn't make any manufacturing sense for nissan to restrict it solely to the g-coupe alone. it's all about economies of scale... and nissan probably tries harder than most to do it, by just looking at the value u receive from their cars. i don't think it's impossible to think that this engine may be exclusive in the g-coupe for the first year... but i think it's an absolute guarantee that this engine will find it's way into many models in the nissan/infiniti lineup. just as u see the same 3.5l trickle on through the fx, m, altima, etc...

just my 2 cents.
Great post, and I completely agree. Oh, and you know damn well that we all live in igloos up here........heck, we just got running water and electricity only last year.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:04 AM
He also went on to tell me that the 3.7 litre engine will never make it into the sedan as it WON'T FIT. The engine is too big. That should answer everyone's question as to why Infiniti decided to go w/ a 3.5 for the sedan and a 3.7 for the coupe.
It's the same engine.. same size... only bored out or stroked.. Same block and everything..
Just because he works at Infiniti.. doesn't mean his word is gospel. I doubt he knows all the plans and current engineering capablilities of the corporation.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:15 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by giddyup69

just my 2 cents.
Good post Giddyup.

On the look of the house we couldn't even really see it anyhow. Besides a small, older house in TO costs more than a mansion in some other areas. The cold thing, well that's just laughable. People who live where it is only warm - over 32 fahrenheit have no clue.

Back to the car. Putting the 3.7 into the sedan would be more a question of a marketing decision. It's doubtful to me it wouldn't fit the existing car sharing the same platform and noticeable similiar styling with the coupe. There are some differences in height etc but not likely anything that couldn't be resolved from an engineering point of view. I agree the engine will likely find its way into other vehicles following Nissans relentless pursuit of economies of scale.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 3.7L in Sedan - Not Happening