G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Good enough?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 10:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good enough?

Hi,

I'm an old member who used to have an '05 G35 Coupe 6MT. I got rid of it due to an ongoing oil consumption issue. The replacement was an 05 Crossfire 6MT. The car is amazing, is comprised of AMG Mercedes components including the hand-built engine and will do 0-60 in 4.9. Well, now I'm married and live in DC where the roads suck and the lifestyle is hectic. I'm a bit tired of the 2-seat sports car thing. My wife and I test drove a new 08 G35S sedan and love the comfort and power. I found a buyer for the SRT6, but am torn between whether or not to give up a one-of-2,016 car that is paid off and has only 16k miles in favor of the more comfortable sedan which will require another 4 years of car payments. I could always keep the SRT and get another daily driver (sold my truck when we moved to DC due to lack of space) for less than the cost of owning just the G.

Just looking for kind, honest answers; perhaps from a previous SRT owner (doubt it, very rare car).

Old 01-25-2009, 11:21 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
I've never owned an SRT6, so I can't answer as a previous owner, but I do love my G. I spent a long time away from fun cars in exchange for safe and usefull SUVs once we settled down and started having kids.
I decided enough was enough and started looking for a "Dad's car" which is safe and well designed to handle 2 little ones in the back seat but fun enough to meet my needs when I was alone and didn't have the kids in tow.
I test drove quite a few cars and once I drove the G, there was no turning back. You soon forget that there are 2 xtra doors behind you and after almost 2 years of ownership, I still smile when I walk into the garage and always look forward to my next drive.
It's not a 2 door sports car designed to melt the roads, but it meets several of my needs and never disapoints.

Hope that helps a little anyway.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:00 AM
Nice summary, thanks.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:21 AM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
If it's at all possible, sounds like you should keep the Crossfire as a weekend car and buy the sedan as a DD. I bought the sedan vs. a Z because only having two seats wasn't worth the hassle, and am happy.

If your current car is that unique and enjoyable, sounds like it should stay around.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:24 AM
Keep the SRT and pick up a used 07 G35 for mid-low $20's for your daily driver. G's are great, but they're a dime a dozen now. I have no regrets purchasing mine though, but I'm not used to driving around in unique cars either. I owned an Accord before my G!

Old 01-26-2009, 09:33 AM
I'll echo the comments of Aesonvirus - cant comment on the SRT but I do love the G35 sedan. Spent several years in more utlitarian vehicles (SUVs, minivans and 'commuting' vehicles) which each sacrificed several things, most notably the Fun To Drive component. Pre-kids I owned several Audi's and a BMW, and while those cars were always nice and fun to drive, I have yet to drive one as nice as the G35, both interior and exterior are superior to any car Ive previously owned and I do not have any reservations about the decision to get the G.

There is something to be said for wanting to drive a car versus having to drive one. If that feeling for you is the Crossfire, then stay with it. Either way sounds like you'll end up driving something that is fun to drive and is great all around. I would never hesitate to recommend someone get the G.....not a bad decision to have to make if you ask me!

Good luck with your decision

Old 01-26-2009, 12:33 PM
Thanks for all the responses so far. It is a hassle to have multiple cars and a motorcycle. The Ducati is also rare 1/100, so it is staying; however, it would be nice to have one car that is fun to drive, classy, and can be used as a daily driver without worrying about using it as such. I'd hate to give up the SRT though. Man, decisions, decisions.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
be good for the economy and buy the G!

Old 01-26-2009, 05:22 PM
lol, that was the dealers line!

Old 01-26-2009, 07:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I had a car with similar rated 0-60 & 6MT and went to an 08X 5AT (first AT I bought). I thought I'd miss the MT but dont, and +0.5s to 60 is not as noticeable as I thought it was gonna be. The extra room is nice, stereo is nice. If I were you I would see what you would get for trade in to see if it would be worth selling and saving sales tax (if it worx there like NY). If you get a good chunk you wouldnt have 4yrs of payments right? If you dont like the deal keep the DCX (& consider yourself lucky you have the option).

The rearity thing doesnt weigh too heavily IMO, if you had a lotus with those low build numbers maybe I would see it. But people prolly think well its just an American SLK AMG, kinda good, but not as kewl as the Merc.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by kregg
I had a car with similar rated 0-60 & 6MT and went to an 08X 5AT (first AT I bought). I thought I'd miss the MT but dont, and +0.5s to 60 is not as noticeable as I thought it was gonna be. The extra room is nice, stereo is nice. If I were you I would see what you would get for trade in to see if it would be worth selling and saving sales tax (if it worx there like NY). If you get a good chunk you wouldnt have 4yrs of payments right? If you dont like the deal keep the DCX (& consider yourself lucky you have the option).

The rearity thing doesnt weigh too heavily IMO, if you had a lotus with those low build numbers maybe I would see it. But people prolly think well its just an American SLK AMG, kinda good, but not as kewl as the Merc.
I've been offered 10 - 13 grand for trade on the Xfire, lol! "Soft market" aparently.

I have an interested buyer right now who is willing to buy it for $17,000. I owe 6 grand on the SRT, so I would be putting down 11k from the Xfire. I could put down more, but I don't like to tap into my savings accounts for car purchases. I would be paying roughly 413 a month for 4 years.

I was looking at a G37 Coupe thread a little while ago and noticed that most of them were paying 600 - 700+ a month!! That is outrageous in my mind. Man, I try to put away at least a grand or two a month after bills. 400 isn't bad, but 0 is better! I don't know. I'm also torn between getting a 335i with 9k miles. I know, this is a G forum, but there is just something about German cars and the whole bench mark thing. The BMW would cost me the same, but would not have the sport package or the navigation package. IMHO, the Infiniti has the better interior with way more comfortable seats and a better steering feel. The Bimmer has a more muscular stance and a lasting design. Too many decisions.

I'm also concerned about the Chrysler thing. If Chrysler goes under, my car would be worthless. Then again, who cares? It would be a toy. I could buy a beater daily driver. Do I take the 17grand sale offer while I can or do I risk passing on a good deal for the G and hope to get 15 or so in a year or two? AAARRGGHH!!

Old 01-26-2009, 09:08 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
I didn't read the other posts but here is my $0.02:

If you like the SRT that much you need to keep it. Get a cheaper DD that rides well and works for your normal commute. I am trying to get together the money for a DD myself. Something like a used Accord or Civic works very well.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:13 PM
+1milli on buying a used G.. get a 1 year lease turn in.. best value

Old 01-26-2009, 09:14 PM
It would be nice to have a car that does it all. It's a bit much to cart around 3 cars (my wife's included) and a motorcycle.

Here is the Xfire:

Old 01-26-2009, 10:02 PM
i actually really like that car, never had a chance to drive it though. I would not trade that in, esp. since its an SRT. I would either live with it, or just drive your wife's car when you have to take the family out.

I pay 500 a month for my G!!! but you are right, 0 is MUCH BETTER!