G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Buying a G35, have some questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Buying a G35, have some questions

Alright, so I'm looking to buy a 2007-2008 G35S Sedan 6MT and I have a few questions that I can't seem to find the answers to anywhere.

EDIT: New question, my headlights turn to the right when I turn the wheels right, but they don't turn left when I turn the wheel left, any suggestions?

1) Do any/all of the manual G35s have the backup camera on them?

2) Do all of the 2007+ G35s have the chrome lip spoiler thing, and, do any of them have the larger spoiler seen on the 1st generation model?

3) What are your personal opinions on the clutch? I've read a LOT of reviews that say the clutch is terrible, engages too late and in too short of a distance, what do you guys think? I've only driven one G35 sedan with the 6MT and it was a 2005 and I definitely felt what they're talking about, but I figured I would get used to it if I drove it for a while. However, I've driven nothing but manuals ever since I was 16 and currently have a 2002 Acura RSX Type-S, and I was STILL having trouble shifting smoothly in the 2005. Your thoughts as owners and lovers of the G35?

4) If I get the 2007 model, can I buy a cord like the one in the 2008 model for my iPod that will allow functionality of the iPod through the built-in screen and controls?

5) Are there any "must-have" mods for the G35? What I mean is, for an RSX for instance, you HAVE to get blacked out headlights and a some type of grill, those two things make the car look fifty times better, are there similar things for the G?

6) Final question. Is there anything specific that I should be on the lookout for when buying a 2007-2008 G35S Sedan 6MT? I know there are a lot of things I would look for specifically when buying an RSX if I did it all over again, just want to make sure I'm well informed when looking for my G.

Thanks so much for your help, sorry if any of these questions have been asked and/or answered before, but like I said, I've tried to find answers to each and haven't had much luck.

Last edited by ThirstyTurtle; 02-11-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
okay can't answer all,
1) But i Think you can get the back up camera if you get the tech package, well it's a package i'm not sure which one but i think it's the tech package, someone correct me.
2) they all have that if you want the larger spoiler thing you need to go aftermarket or the new 2009 g37 sedan spoiler.
4) I don't think so you would need aux cable and then go through the ipod, again if i'm wrong correct me
5) Rims and a drop? I want to do those so bad!!!

Old 02-05-2009, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought my '07 G35s sedan 6mt new back in early '07 with every available option- almost 20,000 miles later, love it even more every day I jump in a fire the mother up.

1. Back up camera rocks- only problem is at night since the back up lights are very weak (unless you are in a lighted parking lot)
2. Chrome lip spoiler- it's okay with me underneath my stock rear spoiler
3. Clutch and shifting is smooth as silk; I had the clutch recall TSB done around 10k miles, no problems whatsover....however, it has taken a while to really get the feel of the engagement, but seems to get better with age.
4. My Blackberry storm is fully integrated and rocks via moodio stream....can't speak for the ipod since it's not bluetooth ready
5. Must have mods- my vote (in rank order) is clear bra, window tint, wheels/tires, exhaust, grounding wires, phone integration, CAI, Osiris (or Cobb when ready) tuner, and the list keeps growing.....love the black grill mod, and bat overlays
6. If looking for a good used one- try to find one driven by a one-owner non-smoking middle- aged woman with no pets who commuted back and forth to work....and then mod the hell out of it. You will be one happy guy.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by ThirstyTurtle
Alright, so I'm looking to buy a 2007-2008 G35S Sedan 6MT and I have a few questions that I can't seem to find the answers to anywhere.
The 07 requires the Tech package
The 08 requires the Navi package

2) Do all of the 2007+ G35s have the chrome lip spoiler thing, and, do any of them have the larger spoiler seen on the 1st generation model?
The Chrome lip is standard on all models.
The spoiler is an option. Search the picture section for spoiler and you'll find pics.

3) What are your personal opinions on the clutch? I've read a LOT of reviews that say the clutch is terrible, engages too late and in too short of a distance, what do you guys think? I've only driven one G35 sedan with the 6MT and it was a 2005 and I definitely felt what they're talking about, but I figured I would get used to it if I drove it for a while. However, I've driven nothing but manuals ever since I was 16 and currently have a 2002 Acura RSX Type-S, and I was STILL having trouble shifting smoothly in the 2005. Your thoughts as owners and lovers of the G35?
I can't answer this one, sorry

4) If I get the 2007 model, can I buy a cord like the one in the 2008 model for my iPod that will allow functionality of the iPod through the built-in screen and controls?
No, but there have been some guys who have accomplished this, but it requires the center armrest console to be replaced with an 08 model.
I don't think it's worth it, personally.

5) Are there any "must-have" mods for the G35? What I mean is, for an RSX for instance, you HAVE to get blacked out headlights and a some type of grill, those two things make the car look fifty times better, are there similar things for the G?
This is a personal preference thing. I personally would never go back to my stock exhaust.

6) Final question. Is there anything specific that I should be on the lookout for when buying a 2007-2008 G35S Sedan 6MT? I know there are a lot of things I would look for specifically when buying an RSX if I did it all over again, just want to make sure I'm well informed when looking for my G.
Obviously, test drive it. If it looks good, smells good and rides good, it must be good.

Good luck!

Old 02-05-2009, 09:46 PM

It doesn't depend on the transmission whether or not you have a backup camera...for the 2007 models i think the tech package was the only way to get the backup camera and for the 08's i think it comes with it on the navigation package

they all have the chrome strip on the trunk from the factory...there are two factory spoilers for the car too...one is a wing and the other is a spoiler

3) What are your personal opinions on the clutch?

N/A

personally i think with the 07 its faster to scroll through the artists and stuff rather than using the toggle switch on the steering wheel or the rotary **** under the lcd...also if you don't get the navi package and only tech package for the 07, there is a very cheap navi alternative that uses the aux inputs...something you might want to consider pre-purchase

wow this is a tough question...i think the must haves for this car is an exhaust system, sway bars, and the oem front lip + rear spoiler...you'll be set then...you also may look into a new grill...i painted the stock one, but the ionic grill is cool, and i wish someone would come out with an impul replica around here...

6) Final question. Is there anything specific that I should be on the lookout for when buying a 2007-2008 G35S Sedan 6MT?

there's nothing that i can think of right now...

Old 02-06-2009, 12:48 AM
Wow, thank you guys so much for all the help! Most of my questions were answered to my satisfaction. I'm still looking for some input on the clutch though, any 6MTs out there?

Old 02-06-2009, 08:09 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
clutch guy here,

I have never owned an auto, always a stick. I have also put over 260,000 miles on one clutch in a Honda civic, with out replacing it. so I KNOW how to drive one. I down shift at every stop sign/off ramp. I skip shift when im taking off slow some times. (to give you an idea of me)

the clutch in the G, well, it kinda sucks, to a point.. in the beginning.

the take up is very quick, and short. it will make you re-evaluate how you drive a stick. I stalled it 3 times on the test drive, I was like WTF... every person that has driven my G has stalled the car at least twice the first time they drove it.

now that being said, id still buy it again. I had the service done on it and it got a lot better. you will just have to get use to it, and relearn it, but once you have done that. its a good clutch. you can feel the engine in the pedals and stick, not too much, but enuf to not have to look at the tach when the radio is way up. You can feel the weight of your passengers when your taking off, just like every other stick. Rev matching is easy every thing is normal there.

One thing, because the G is an electronic throttle, it doesn’t drop revs as quick as other cars.

IE shifting from redline in first to second, you don’t have to feather the throttle as much on the 2ed gear engagement because the engine has not dropped in RPMs that much. I don’t mind that at all, its just some thing I have noticed.

Another thing is that the cutch makes a funky noise when the car is at idle and in N and clutch is engaged, you will hear it in side the car and out side the car. Dealers says its normal, and every 6mt guy on here knows what I'm talking about.

So in short.
Its not the best clutch because its hard to get use to. But if you are normal/good driver you will learn the car and in a month or 2 it will be a non issue. The G is a tight car and it will talk to you if you know how to listen through you hands/feet/butt.

You will be happy with the G if you let your self learn the new clutch.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:31 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by ThirstyTurtle
Wow, thank you guys so much for all the help! Most of my questions were answered to my satisfaction. I'm still looking for some input on the clutch though, any 6MTs out there?
Yup....
I was coming from a Z4 ///M, so it was pretty tough to expect the G35 clutch to compare to that.
Overall it's a bit switch like; comes in quickly once it starts to grab.
That was easy to get used to though.

I wasn't too happy with the activation point of the clutch though.
So I did this.... DIY clutch travel fix.

I'm VERY happy with my '08 clutch now

Old 02-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by snowcrossmxz
clutch guy here,

I have never owned an auto, always a stick. I have also put over 260,000 miles on one clutch in a Honda civic, with out replacing it. so I KNOW how to drive one. I down shift at every stop sign/off ramp. I skip shift when im taking off slow some times. (to give you an idea of me)

the clutch in the G, well, it kinda sucks, to a point.. in the beginning.

the take up is very quick, and short. it will make you re-evaluate how you drive a stick. I stalled it 3 times on the test drive, I was like WTF... every person that has driven my G has stalled the car at least twice the first time they drove it.

now that being said, id still buy it again. I had the service done on it and it got a lot better. you will just have to get use to it, and relearn it, but once you have done that. its a good clutch. you can feel the engine in the pedals and stick, not too much, but enuf to not have to look at the tach when the radio is way up. You can feel the weight of your passengers when your taking off, just like every other stick. Rev matching is easy every thing is normal there.

One thing, because the G is an electronic throttle, it doesn’t drop revs as quick as other cars.

IE shifting from redline in first to second, you don’t have to feather the throttle as much on the 2ed gear engagement because the engine has not dropped in RPMs that much. I don’t mind that at all, its just some thing I have noticed.

Another thing is that the cutch makes a funky noise when the car is at idle and in N and clutch is engaged, you will hear it in side the car and out side the car. Dealers says its normal, and every 6mt guy on here knows what I'm talking about.

So in short.
Its not the best clutch because its hard to get use to. But if you are normal/good driver you will learn the car and in a month or 2 it will be a non issue. The G is a tight car and it will talk to you if you know how to listen through you hands/feet/butt.

You will be happy with the G if you let your self learn the new clutch.
Wow, thanks so much for your in-depth clutch review. I know what you're saying about the electronic throttle, when I test-drove an '05 and tried to shift quickly around 5500-6000 RPMs, the engine kept revving up when shifting, even if I consciously let off the throttle prior to disengaging the clutch, just something I'd have to get used to I guess.

As far as the clutch noise goes, I had that in my 300ZX, but only noticed it when I cranked it up in a garage, or next to a wall with the window down in a drive-thru, is the G35 THAT much worse?

Thanks!

Old 02-06-2009, 12:53 PM
i can hear it at idle (~1000 rpms) with the radio off and windows up sitting in traffic.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by snowcrossmxz
i can hear it at idle (~1000 rpms) with the radio off and windows up sitting in traffic.
Okay, well, I guess it's not THAT annoying because I haven't read any reviews that mention it nor have I heard much complaining on the forums. Could it be considered engine noise to someone who didn't know any better? People aren't gunna be like "what's that noise man, your car is dying" are they?

Old 02-06-2009, 01:15 PM
^^ that's a tough call...you should just go test drive a 6MT G35S for yourself to answer that question...what's loud to a certain individual may be quiet to a different individual...go drive it man!!!

Old 02-06-2009, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by ugaexploder
^^ that's a tough call...you should just go test drive a 6MT G35S for yourself to answer that question...what's loud to a certain individual may be quiet to a different individual...go drive it man!!!
Don't worry, I'm gunna drive one before I go buying one. But these things are hard to find in a 07-08 manual. I've only found one, and they're replacing a part on it (hopefully the slave cylinder), so I can't drive it until Sunday. I'll let you guys know what I think though. Sounds like a deal though, 18,000 miles, 2007 Obsidian Black, I don't know what packages it has yet, but they're asking $23,998, so I could talk them down a bit, but it's already a pretty good deal right?

Old 02-06-2009, 01:26 PM
Yeah man, that's a great deal...i was looking on ebay last night and the avg was around 25g's with over 25000 miles...so that deal is great...i can't believe our cars have depreciated so much...what's messed up is that '07 g35 coupes are going for more than our sedans...wtf is that about?

Old 02-06-2009, 02:27 PM
well only about 4-5% of the G sedans are 6mt, not many people want them.

so they are hard to find, and they are also hard to sell(depending on where you are)

as for the noise. like ug said, its different for different people. i don't mind it, but i can hear it. a car buff will prob ask "whats that noise" but like my mom and girlfriend don't even notice it.

just listen for it on a test drive,

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Buying a G35, have some questions