G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

My brakes are driving me CRAZY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 01:56 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Angry My brakes are driving me CRAZY

So a few months back i did a full rotor pad swap on my 07 sport brakes. its 13" rotors all around. I went with some Generic Centric Rotors in the rear and some Powerslot rotors up front. EBC Red stuff all around. When i first had them installed they made horrible squealing noise under braking at slow speeds. EBC says that it could happen due to the break in material. i gave it time and the noise went away and my brakes were noise free.

Fast forward to now. my brakes are quiet... until they get warmed up. once that happens i get crazy brake noise that sounds like its coming from the front left wheel. only happens below 20mph and under light braking only. heavy braking makes no noise until i start to let off the pedal when im almost to a complete stop. anytime the brakes are lightly applied a high pitched squeal happens. I looked at the caliper through the wheel opening and it looks like the wear indicator is on the outside of the rotor, i thought that was supposed to be on the inside? would that even matter? Im afraid if i go in and switch them now (about 3k miles later) thats just going to make them worse.

Any ideas on how to get that noise to go away? take them off and regrease? install more shims? im at a loss. i dont want to have to completely start over and buy new brakes to get rid of the problem.

EDIT: Added a video
http://youtu.be/0lJGbrZdHus?hd=1

Last edited by Austin713; 02-23-2012 at 02:32 PM. Reason: added video
Old 02-23-2012, 02:41 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
I would use synthetic brake grease around contact points on the pads. That includes the parts where they contact the caliper hardware as well as the shims in back. If they were never done, I'd clean and re-lube the caliper pins as well.

I don't know what EBC Reds are but pad type makes a big difference in noise. I have Hawk Ceramics and have never had pads so quiet. Hawk HPS that I've had tend to make noise.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Agree with brake grease on the BACK of the pads where they contact the caliper/piston and pins.
If that doesn't work try properly bedding the pads. A few 65->20 mph stops to get them heated up and deposit pad material on the rotors.

The Stop-tech site and zeckhousen (sp?) site have good bedding guides.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:07 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by mishmosh
I would use synthetic brake grease around contact points on the pads. That includes the parts where they contact the caliper hardware as well as the shims in back. If they were never done, I'd clean and re-lube the caliper pins as well.

I don't know what EBC Reds are but pad type makes a big difference in noise. I have Hawk Ceramics and have never had pads so quiet. Hawk HPS that I've had tend to make noise.
agree!.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:23 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts
this happened to me as well and my mechanic took a look and saw that the brake clips were a bit too long. he trimmed the brake clips and 100% silent now

the clips were just barely touching the rotor when braking which caused the squeal. So much so that it actually started cutting a faint line into the rotor. Good thing it was caught in time

Old 02-23-2012, 11:23 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by mishmosh
i would use synthetic brake grease around contact points on the pads. That includes the parts where they contact the caliper hardware as well as the shims in back. If they were never done, i'd clean and re-lube the caliper pins as well.

i don't know what ebc reds are but pad type makes a big difference in noise. I have hawk ceramics and have never had pads so quiet. Hawk hps that i've had tend to make noise.
^^ this !!

Originally Posted by destroid
agree with brake grease on the back of the pads where they contact the caliper/piston and pins.
If that doesn't work try properly bedding the pads. a few 65->20 mph stops to get them heated up and deposit pad material on the rotors.

The stop-tech site and zeckhousen (sp?) site have good bedding guides.
^^ and this !!

The wear indicator is definitely located on the inner pad normally, (the stock pads even have a directional arrow on them which implies a left and right as well), but I don't know that the EBC's wouldn't work identically whether the wear bar pad is in or out. They didn't have any shims on the front, they're built-in on the back of the pads, so maybe it's possible there's a difference to the 'built-in' shim material (ie. it's particular to contacting the piston or the torque member). I can't say for sure. If it were mine, and I knew that the above issues I quoted had been addressed adequately, I'd try swapping them into their correct position after spinning the rotors against a little Scotchbrite pad to rough them up a tad, and then re-bed the pads in the new position.

But remember, the RedStuff pads are a borderline performance pad. They come with a clear statement from the factory that it's normal for them to make "some" noise.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:15 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Hmm, check the caliper sliders too.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:52 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by caaraa
Agree with brake grease on the BACK of the pads where they contact the caliper/piston and pins.

And the clips. I'm telling you, mine sounded just like the OP's video before my clips were adjusted/trimmed

Old 02-24-2012, 09:59 AM
Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts
I looked at the caliper through the wheel opening and it looks like the wear indicator is on the outside of the rotor, i thought that was supposed to be on the inside? would that even matter? Im afraid if i go in and switch them now (about 3k miles later) thats just going to make them worse.
This is an important detail, I discovered this first time I did my brakes and had some help from someone who had a different brake system on his car, so we totally missed this. If the wear squeal clip is not on the inside of the caliper on those brakes, it will actually push the pads up when its on the outside, and get less contact area on the rotor (Part of the pad wont even be touching the rotor). You can tell between the old rotor if you still have it and the new one, measure the worn area in contact with the pad. Yes you can cut the, but why not just install correctly so they they do get low you are aware when the squeal?

I will attach 2 pics,first one incorrectly installed (which it sounds like you have) and one correctly installed.

Attached Thumbnails My brakes are driving me CRAZY-g35sbrakes-incorrect.jpg   My brakes are driving me CRAZY-g35sbrakes-correct.jpg  
Old 02-24-2012, 01:19 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
yea i already went through the wheel with a dremel and clipped it off, because i thought it would fix the noise. it didnt. sounds like im going to go in and check out the back side of the pad to see if anything is dragging on it. regrease while in there.

What i dont understand is why its only doing that when it gets heated up?

Old 02-24-2012, 02:48 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Austin713
yea i already went through the wheel with a dremel and clipped it off, because i thought it would fix the noise. it didnt. sounds like im going to go in and check out the back side of the pad to see if anything is dragging on it. regrease while in there.

What i dont understand is why its only doing that when it gets heated up?
The friction material becomes "sticky" when it heats up.

Be sure to lube the "ears" of the pads too. In this pic from rvanderwerf above, I can't see any lube there. It should be! The factory spec calls for lube there, but not on the back of the pads.

https://g35driver.com/forums/attachm...es-correct.jpg

Old 02-25-2012, 04:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My brakes have been doing the same but i have stock, dont know if its because they are wearing off or something.