G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Fuel Injection Service...yes or no?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 03:39 PM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Fuel Injection Service...yes or no?

So I have the car at the dealer again for another failed AC Compressor. They are replacing it again under warranty. The past 2 times Ive been at the dealer, they said they strongly recommend i do the Fuel Injection Cleaning Service for $144. Is this just the dealer trying to make some money or is this needed? Im at 48k miles and 4 years and its never been done before. Thoughts?

Old 06-07-2012, 03:41 PM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by bat6wc
So I have the car at the dealer again for another failed AC Compressor. They are replacing it again under warranty. The past 2 times Ive been at the dealer, they said they strongly recommend i do the Fuel Injection Cleaning Service for $144. Is this just the dealer trying to make some money or is this needed? Im at 48k miles and 4 years and its never been done before. Thoughts?
Don't need it, I've never done it in my car and it's at 66k miles and the motor still runs like new. All you really need is to change your oils (Tranny, Engine, Differential/Transfer) periodically to keep it running in tip top shape. Also, you should inspect the belt and see if it is worn or not. Otherwise, doing any "cleaning" service is unnecessary to your engine and probably won't do anything as long as you maintain it well.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:49 PM
they say its a 1 hour Pressure system process that cleans inside and outside of the injectors. They said they insert hoses through the intake to remove all the carbon build up. bs?

Old 06-07-2012, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by bat6wc
they say its a 1 hour Pressure system process that cleans inside and outside of the injectors. They said they insert hoses through the intake to remove all the carbon build up. bs?
I mean there will always be carbon build up, but not enough to do anything to your engine. There are supposed to be detergents in gas that already minimize that so there shouldn't be a massive carbon build up unless your engine isn't burning efficiently.

If you don't notice anything weird going on with your idling/engine, I wouldn't touch it.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:05 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
since we use 93 premium already the include all sorts of cleaners in em so you dont need this service, if you still want to do it then get a complete fuel system cleaner in a bottle for ~$5 and youre done or use the new seafoam sprayer that attaches to the intake for cleaning for ~$8

The following users liked this post:
bat6wc (06-07-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
since we use 93 premium already the include all sorts of cleaners in em so you dont need this service, if you still want to do it then get a complete fuel system cleaner in a bottle for ~$5 and youre done or use the new seafoam sprayer that attaches to the intake for cleaning for ~$8
exactly my thoughts. Passing on this service. Thanks

Old 06-08-2012, 12:49 AM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Using 'top tier' gasoline brands will pretty much insure you won't need to do an injector cleaning service. Beyond that, it's true that using premium generally means you get more detergents and additives in the fuel as well. If you can't go for the top tier brands, then add a bottle of Techron additive at least quarterly and you should still be fine. The dealers pretty much make bank off of those FI cleaner services.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:15 AM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
Using 'top tier' gasoline brands will pretty much insure you won't need to do an injector cleaning service. Beyond that, it's true that using premium generally means you get more detergents and additives in the fuel as well. If you can't go for the top tier brands, then add a bottle of Techron additive at least quarterly and you should still be fine. The dealers pretty much make bank off of those FI cleaner services.
Even then, I feel like TopTier Gasoline is being paid by these companies to promote their gas. Have you noticed that almost all of the brands listed are from major oil companies? At first it was only a select few, such as Shell with their Nitrogen enriched gasoline. Exxon/Mobil wasn't on that list until recently. The gas is the same, but the detergents and additive packages are different across the brand...but they all have to adhere to a standard issued by the government. It's like putting Synthetic Oil vs. Dino Oil in your engine. As long as you keep the maintenance up and good, you will most likely not notice a difference.

Major companies I don't see up there are BP and Sunoco.

Granted, I still only use Mobil 93 Premium in my G.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 06-08-2012 at 01:23 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:41 AM
Mr.202?

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by vqsmile
I wouldn't put faith in "top tier" its being shown time and time again its means jack.

Techron Additive contains PEA, which is in Chevron Gas. Its the only proven concentrate that actually cleans deposits.

Furthermore there are a few other Fuel system cleaners that have PEA, those are the only ones you should by not ones which are 98% Kerosene.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:07 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by thescreensavers

I wouldn't put faith in "top tier" its being shown time and time again its means jack.
Hmm . . . I have a close personal friend that is a chemical engineer, recently retired after working for Chevron for 40 years, and is named in person on the actual patent for the Techron additive. According to him, in years past, Chevron really did have a leg up on the other major companies and actually sold additives to some of them under license so they could meet minimum top-tier status, all the while, they maintained a healthy advantage beyond the others even within the top-tier though. However, in the past few years though, he claims other major companies have developed or licensed replacement additives of similar quality to Techron and are successfully achieving performance similar to Chevron. He commented that, anymore, buying from a top tier company like Chevron, Shell, Conoco Phillips, etc., will provide all the detergents necessary to maintain proper cleanliness.

The following 2 users liked this post by vqsmile:
drivethefive (06-08-2012), kool_yaar (06-08-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 02:17 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Uh oh, this is turing into another gas thread lol. Bat, I would pass on the service too, others have said it already, the detergents used in our gas now will do sufficient cleansing of the fuel system. The fuel system cleaners may go a step further but getting it done from the dealer is not necessary. You going to Plaza or Bommarito?

Old 06-08-2012, 10:31 PM
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Waste of money even if it's $8 from the bottle. These things sell just for the placebo effect

Old 06-08-2012, 11:09 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
imo seafoam does actually work on higher mileage cars if you do some research. personally the mpgs iv gained in all my previous cars through this process has been well worth the $8

Old 06-08-2012, 11:15 PM
Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
No need and you should never have to do it if you take care of the car