G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

2007 G35 Horsepower Rating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 08:47 AM
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tekknikal
i wouldnt say the TL interior is superior, especially not to the 05-06 Gs.
there are many complaints on their forums regarding how well the leather and interior has been holding up over time that we dont see as much of here. but beyond that, i personally prefer the styling of the G's interior...
I agree. My friend just sold his 04 TL and drove my G35 yesterday. He loved how the G drove compared and also was surprised that the G35 interior still looked new after 1 year. He said the TL was fallign apart already and showed signs of age badly after only 2 yrs.

Old 05-09-2006, 01:33 PM
How did this thread get jacked into a TL vs. G35 comparison??

Old 05-09-2006, 01:35 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Driver72
How did this thread get jacked into a TL vs. G35 comparison??
Stranger things has happened here on the G-Files

Old 05-09-2006, 09:26 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by CMT_G35
I agree, however PERFORMANCE PERFORMANCE PERFORMANCE is what we all seem to obsess about. Most of the time I'm in traffic and couldn't utilize the potental of a Sentra SE-R. All the G's I see a in the same traffic I'm in driving between 40 - 70 usually. So that would leave one to believe that the performance obsessors either work 3rd shift, or reside in a place where the is little traffic (must be a lot of G's in Montana & North Dakota).

People usually buy these cars for IMAGE & Price. Look at BMW sales to women. Note: I'm NOT saying all women do care about performance, just not the proportion that buy BMW's. Ask a woman about her M (BMW) or 3 series, very few will talk about it's performance, most will say they like it or it's sexy. Many men will issue similar comments. Performance will sell a limited number of cars mostly to Johnny RiceRocket. Image will sell cars like the new mustang. Price is usually a determining factor.

I live in So Cal... lots of traffic - without incriminating myself, I will tell you I take advantage of the "performance" of my G often! Details will remain omitted because I don’t want the traffic police flamers to rant. Point is, most of us with a G (especially on this site) bought the car due to its performance/value.

Old 05-10-2006, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35
I live in So Cal... lots of traffic - without incriminating myself, I will tell you I take advantage of the "performance" of my G often! Details will remain omitted because I don’t want the traffic police flamers to rant. Point is, most of us with a G (especially on this site) bought the car due to its performance/value.
Totally agree and i do the same thing in oc

Old 05-10-2006, 03:41 PM
Arrow

Originally Posted by OCG35
...Point is, most of us with a G (especially on this site) bought the car due to its performance/value.
That maybe true about the site posters, I'd disagree that "most of us with a G applies to the G mass buying public. While, I'll admit to opening my car up, "every once in a while" most of my driving is to and from the office, and I see plenty of G on the road with me driving betwen 45 - 70 (depending on traffic). That type of driving would not tax a Civic SI. For the most part, you can be certain that manufacters will make products for the mass market (eg. women like it, the family guy likes it, and even Johnny RiceRocket can drive it (but he still thinks it needs more HP). Point is that once gas gets to 4 - 5 dollars, the infiniti G buying public (not the board posters), may start clamoring for 5 - 7 more mpg (even if if the 0 - 60 time were to slow by a whole second). Look at what the gas crisis of 1973 did two the muscle car era, that could easily happen to today's cars. My 1987 Mazda B2000 SE-5 (first new vehicle I ever bought) had 80 HP, used it for years to get to work when gas was 1 - 1.25 a gallon. I still need to drive to work daily, my G has 298 HP gas is 3.40 a gallon and climbing. I'll take 250 hp and 30 mpg any time Infiniti can produce it.

Old 05-10-2006, 04:59 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That maybe true about the site posters, I'd disagree that "most of us with a G applies to the G mass buying public. While, I'll admit to opening my car up, "every once in a while" most of my driving is to and from the office, and I see plenty of G on the road with me driving betwen 45 - 70 (depending on traffic). That type of driving would not tax a Civic SI. For the most part, you can be certain that manufacters will make products for the mass market (eg. women like it, the family guy likes it, and even Johnny RiceRocket can drive it (but he still thinks it needs more HP). Point is that once gas gets to 4 - 5 dollars, the infiniti G buying public (not the board posters), may start clamoring for 5 - 7 more mpg (even if if the 0 - 60 time were to slow by a whole second). Look at what the gas crisis of 1973 did two the muscle car era, that could easily happen to today's cars. My 1987 Mazda B2000 SE-5 (first new vehicle I ever bought) had 80 HP, used it for years to get to work when gas was 1 - 1.25 a gallon. I still need to drive to work daily, my G has 298 HP gas is 3.40 a gallon and climbing. I'll take 250 hp and 30 mpg any time Infiniti can produce it.

Well, that would be a Nissan Altima (debaged to say Infiniti, of course)

Old 05-10-2006, 05:09 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would say if people care too much about gas prices, they should buying a Nissian or a G25 (if that exists) but not a G35 or possibly a G45..

just like how would the driver of a Hummer care about gas ?

Old 05-10-2006, 09:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Look at what the gas crisis of 1973 did two the muscle car era, that could easily happen to today's cars.

The demise of the muscle cars era back then began before the gas crisis, the engines were being choked by emission requirements, and these things were still in developement back then, bad mileage, low power, etc. I owned a '72 Mach1 with a 351 Cleveland, and that car had about the same kick as my '68 289 2bbl, but used more gas.

Old 05-10-2006, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by godmans
I would say if people care too much about gas prices, they should buying a Nissian or a G25 (if that exists) but not a G35 or possibly a G45..

just like how would the driver of a Hummer care about gas ?
I guess it's more like this.

I buy a G now, gas is $3, no problem.

But if they keep getting out of hand, for reasons.....unknown to us, and i doubt unjustifiable soon it won't be $3, it'lls b $6. Then what? Then complain?

Driving is almost essential, therefore Gas is almost essential - to the being of a lot of people. And if gas gets out of hand, no driving, then no being. A little extreme but you get the point.

This is why i don't frown upon any1 who complains, they have risen to high, and Exxon has posted $36Billion in profit last year. 4 Years ago their profits didn't peak over 10 billion, last 3 years they grossed over 50$ Billion.... Something isn't right.

Old 05-10-2006, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by Omarvelous
This is why i don't frown upon any1 who complains, they have risen to high, and Exxon has posted $36Billion in profit last year. 4 Years ago their profits didn't peak over 10 billion, last 3 years they grossed over 50$ Billion.... Something isn't right.
Not too mention this:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12356099/from/RSS/

Old 05-10-2006, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by Omarvelous
I guess it's more like this.

I buy a G now, gas is $3, no problem.

But if they keep getting out of hand, for reasons.....unknown to us, and i doubt unjustifiable soon it won't be $3, it'lls b $6. Then what? Then complain?

Driving is almost essential, therefore Gas is almost essential - to the being of a lot of people. And if gas gets out of hand, no driving, then no being. A little extreme but you get the point.

As far back as I can remember, people have been complaining about gas prices, I can remember way back too, people have always tried to save gas, otherwise the VW wouldn't have gone over so big. When gas was under $0.40a gallon, people complained, sure the price has risen over the last 30 years, but look how much everything else has gone up in that time, I mean in '76 for $300k you could buy a mansion, a very nice mansion at that, now what does it buy........but do you hear people constantly griping about that, maybe, but I don't hear it at all. And cars......you'd be hard pressed to find a car that cost as much as our G's do now. And food............come on. Sure gasoline is higher than it's ever been, but I read where for the inflation adjusted price from 1981 was still higher than what we pay now, I assume that figures how much of our income we spend on gasoline. Am I wrong here?

Old 05-10-2006, 11:34 PM
Arrow

Originally Posted by ABQ_G35
The demise of the muscle cars era back then began before the gas crisis, the engines were being choked by emission requirements, and these things were still in developement back then, bad mileage, low power, etc. I owned a '72 Mach1 with a 351 Cleveland, and that car had about the same kick as my '68 289 2bbl, but used more gas.
I agree that by 73, muscle cars were on the way out, however the gas crisis of 73 "put the last nail in the coffin". Ironiclly, it also gave the Japanese auto manufacturers thier first foothold in the US. Remember the original 'corolla', or the 'CVCC' the bodies would rust but the cars were efficent and ran forever. In the 70's people laughed at these cars, by the late 80's the Prelude, the Z, and the Celica were all highly sought after. If gas stays at $3.00, there will be occasional rants and grumbling, if it goes north of $5.00 people will be forced to choose between the rent, food, or gas. AT THAT POINT, a more powerful G does not seem to appealing.

Old 05-10-2006, 11:41 PM
I agree that by 73, muscle cars were on the way out, however the gas crisis of 73 "put the last nail in the coffin". Ironiclly, it also gave the Japanese auto manufacturers thier first foothold in the US. Remember the original 'corolla', or the 'CVCC' the bodies would rust but the cars were efficent and ran forever. In the 70's people laughed at these cars, by the late 80's the Prelude, the Z, and the Celica were all highly sought after. If gas stays at $3.00, there will be occasional rants and grumbling, if it goes north of $5.00 people will be forced to choose between the rent, food, or gas. AT THAT POINT, a more powerful G does not seem to appealing.

Rust is right, I owned a '73 Datsun pickup, granted it was used when I got it, but what a rust bucket, and also what a POS that vehicle was, the carburetor, choke could not be adjusted so it would run without "chugging" when it was cold, sounded like an old John Deere. The hood always "shimmied" at an idle, and I noticed all Datsuns pickups of that era did that! And, not efficient at all, I got the same mpg out of an F150 302 I owned later, sad! And safety, sheesh, that was the final straw, I had to bleed my clutch, a neighbor helped me, he pulled himself under the truck by the front fender, afterwards, I couldn't open the passenger door, he bent the fender inward pulling himself under, that was it, I thought, geez, what would happen if a car hit this thing, sold it right away. Nissan has come a long way since then............... Anyone remember the very first Honda? The name was a number, not Civic or anything like that. If they would have kept building cars like that, no one under 30 would know who Honda was...........

Last edited by ABQ_G35; 05-10-2006 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:54 AM
Remember that sheer horsepower isn't the only factor that affects mpg. It is entirely possible to make good hp and very respectable milage at the same time. Take the new corvette, for instance, makes 405 hp, 6 Liters, 18 city 28 highway and 0-60 at approximately the speed of light.

While the new engine is suposed to be more 'efficient' according to edmund's interview with infiniti engineers, one is left to wonder how much so. The new G lacks certain fuel saving features, such as direct injection and a 6 speed auto tranny. Both of these features are present on the IS350 which makes 306 hp and 21/28 mpg. One simple way for Nissan to improve the fuel economy would be to drop in the CVT which they are throwing into many of their new vehicles, such as the new Altima. If not, they could also alter the gear ratios so that the first-third gears were geared for acceleration, but the fith gear could be lengthned for sub 2k highway crusing rpm's. This would allow them to maintain 'best in class' acceleration which they covet so dearly.

If you're really concerned about mpg and still want luxury, the IS250 and the new TSX are quite nice.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2007 G35 Horsepower Rating.