Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

THE megan racing v2 resonated test pipe thread....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 01:22 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Give it a shot and let us know cause that would greatly help all of us out. I wouldn't imagine heat wrap being too expensive.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:40 AM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
Originally Posted by sTeadFasT96
His "straight pipe" setup was the x02 h-pipe/resonator sectino then straights after that.

In this video you can't really hear the rasp but in Jairen's videos you can slightly hear that little bugger "ringing" sound

The "little bugger "ringing" sound" may not be very noticeable from outside, from afar, but from in the cabin, it was unbearable for me personally.

As you guys may know, I got rid of the sound by installing the x-pipe. I can only hear it a very high RPM's now.

sTead, the muffler delete sounds pretty loud and mean! I'd bet if he replaced the crappy X02 resonators with the x-pipe, it would sound much "cleaner". That set-up would would then become a knock-off Motordyne FI TDX with 2.5" piping, LOL!
http://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhau...-pics-vid.html

Looks like Motordyne also caught on to the resonated x-pipe that has gotten more popular over the last year.
Name:  IMGP8321.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  182.5 KB

Last edited by Jairen; 01-09-2011 at 01:44 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:59 AM
Wow, I never realize the TDX is just a resonated x pipe and straights after that haha. I gotta show him that.

I saw the video in the link a long time ago but I'm amazed at how simple that exhaust is!

As far as his straights setup goes, on a fly by it sounds like a track car! But there's no way anybody could daily something like that.

Personally, I want my exhaust to be decently loud (yeah I'm gonna be that guy, sorry!) but no point in being loud if it's just gonna sound like crap. I'm slightly turned off by the resonated x pipe because it quiets everything down. Also that's why it seems to rid of the rasp because it quiets the whole thing down, correct me if I'm wrong.
An example would be the Megan test pipes on a stock exhaust, as far as youtube videos have shown, there isn't much rasp because it wasn't a "louder" exhaust to begin with.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:07 AM
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Theres a guy parting out an HKS exhaust in the classifieds section, wants 300 i think for the h pipe.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:24 AM
I'm not sure if you're directing that at me or not, but if you are. I wouldn't really imagine the HKS bits bolting up exactly to the x02 now would it?

Old 01-09-2011, 03:25 AM
Wow, I never realize the TDX is just a resonated x pipe and straights after that haha. I gotta show him that.

I saw the video in the link a long time ago but I'm amazed at how simple that exhaust is!

As far as his straights setup goes, on a fly by it sounds like a track car! But there's no way anybody could daily something like that.

Personally, I want my exhaust to be decently loud (yeah I'm gonna be that guy, sorry!) but no point in being loud if it's just gonna sound like crap. I'm slightly turned off by the resonated x pipe because it quiets everything down. Also that's why it seems to rid of the rasp because it quiets the whole thing down, correct me if I'm wrong.
An example would be the Megan test pipes on a stock exhaust, as far as youtube videos have shown, there isn't much rasp because it wasn't a "louder" exhaust to begin with.
You don't have to use a resonated x-pipe. A simple non resonated x-pipe would work and will give you that x-pipe "gurgle". As cheap as a non resonated x-pipe is...

Old 01-09-2011, 03:27 AM
I'm not sure if you're directing that at me or not, but if you are. I wouldn't really imagine the HKS bits bolting up exactly to the x02 now would it?
It has smaller diameter piping. 2.3" (HKS), 2.5" (X)2. Why have 2.5" test pipes with a 2.3" y-pipe, back to 2.5" piping? As minute as the diamter is, might as well keep the diameter uniform.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:30 AM
Jairen, I assume the reason why the X-pipe mod was so popular was to get rid of the useless H-pipe. An extra bonus was the rasp died down when it came to test pipes, but would a non-resonated still have the same effect?

Old 01-09-2011, 03:36 AM
Jairen, I assume the reason why the X-pipe mod was so popular was to get rid of the useless H-pipe. An extra bonus was the rasp died down when it came to test pipes, but would a non-resonated still have the same effect?
A non-res x-pipe won't do much for rasp but will help equalize the overall tone plus it will get rid of the useless h-pipe.

If you think about, if the h-pipe is useless, it makes me want to cut off the branch resonators to see if it also has the useless 1/2 hole also...

Old 01-09-2011, 03:42 AM
That's very true, makes me wonder why the design wouldn't incorporate that 1/2 hole in other spots also...

But lets keep this on topic about Megan test pipes. I'm hearing a lot of consistent yet inconsistent reviews on these. Half will say they will cause ringing and rasp a lot and the others say it's not too bad.

Does the rasp come up during easy regular city driving, or does it come up only when you punch it and hit the mid to upper portions of the rpm range? Typically I never touch over 3k rpms in my daily routine.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Sorry didnt think about the diameter of the piping being dif. But mine seems to have the ringing/rasp the worse at 2900 to 3200 right before it shifts gears from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd on normal city driving.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:23 PM
If anybody has any more input on these test pipes that would be great if you could just drop $.02

Old 01-15-2011, 08:29 PM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
^ hey man, I just installed these on a stock exhaust and it made it a bit louder, so basically the stock exhaust note got noticeably louder, nut not a LOT louder.. I will now be adding a HR y pipe and continue in my quest on making the stock exhaust note loud as possible without changing it.

in any case my biggest issue with this and i cant believe it hasnt been mentioned by any of you guys in here, is the way the O2 sensor plugs are angled, it fckin points towards the ground almost... so when the sensors were plugged in it was hanging lower than any other part of the car including the subframe, this is a huge issue if you're slammed fckin rip your 02 sensor right off...

i had the guys install an extender piece that has a 90 degree bend pointing back towards the top of the car and it's all good now, but yea WTF megan do you guys do any R&D or what, geez

Old 01-15-2011, 08:48 PM
Mine were angled like stock. Thats wierd. After driving it for a few weeks now it seems like the rasp is not as bad. Still there but better.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by Adon
in any case my biggest issue with this and i cant believe it hasnt been mentioned by any of you guys in here, is the way the O2 sensor plugs are angled, it fckin points towards the ground almost... so when the sensors were plugged in it was hanging lower than any other part of the car including the subframe, this is a huge issue if you're slammed fckin rip your 02 sensor right off...
Hm that's def something to consider. Weird since G35 Dream said otherwise and judging by stock pictures, seems like it'd just be angled out to the sides?

Originally Posted by G35 Dream
Mine were angled like stock. Thats wierd. After driving it for a few weeks now it seems like the rasp is not as bad. Still there but better.
Guess they're just breaking in then.

What exhaust do you have? Is the rasp like/was UNBEARABLE or is it just something that's noticable and kind of annoying?

I may be ordering these within the next few days and say screw it. If anything I'll just sell it, I'm sure others will still buy them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: THE megan racing v2 resonated test pipe thread....