Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

THE megan racing v2 resonated test pipe thread....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 11:47 PM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
I'll post pictures of the underside once i get underneath the car again, but it should have been pointing towards each other if anything

Old 01-16-2011, 01:21 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've been through 2 sets of these, they are not the best, but for what they are worth- they get the job done.
Both times the welds broke loose and the resonators shook inside, and I had to get them rewelded and the first set I had I just sold because I thought I was going a different route.

They are decent, but I'd rather pay extra and go with FI t/ps, or even some hfcs, depending on budget and mindset of modding.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:33 AM
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by sTeadFasT96
Guess they're just breaking in then.

What exhaust do you have? Is the rasp like/was UNBEARABLE or is it just something that's noticable and kind of annoying?

I may be ordering these within the next few days and say screw it. If anything I'll just sell it, I'm sure others will still buy them.
Stock exhaust for now. Thinking of the ARK Grip 2 or Invidia Gemini. As long as the rpms were under 3k it was ok, nice throaty tone, but anything over and it sounds ricey from inside the car. Once the car is warmed up it sounds good, but its been 35F and lower here so I have to let it warm up before I'll drive it anywhere lol. I think the welds might have busted in mine. I sent an email to Megan waiting to here back if they will do anything.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:57 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by TofuProductions
I've been through 2 sets of these, they are not the best, but for what they are worth- they get the job done.
Both times the welds broke loose and the resonators shook inside, and I had to get them rewelded and the first set I had I just sold because I thought I was going a different route.

They are decent, but I'd rather pay extra and go with FI t/ps, or even some hfcs, depending on budget and mindset of modding.
I've heard of people's resonator welds busting but I got the impression those were the v1's cause they didn't have the flex pipe.

Originally Posted by G35 Dream
Stock exhaust for now. Thinking of the ARK Grip 2 or Invidia Gemini. As long as the rpms were under 3k it was ok, nice throaty tone, but anything over and it sounds ricey from inside the car. Once the car is warmed up it sounds good, but its been 35F and lower here so I have to let it warm up before I'll drive it anywhere lol. I think the welds might have busted in mine. I sent an email to Megan waiting to here back if they will do anything.
You really think so? I guess I'm gonna hold off on my order then...haha. Was JUST about to make the order too...

Last edited by sTeadFasT96; 01-16-2011 at 03:02 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:36 AM

wow yea man, i mean im on stock exhaust too and if anything it made it just a tad bit louder, im actually disappointed that it's not louder than it is, but no odd noises or nothing like that at any rpm range, definitely something wrong with yours get it looked at raise the car up or something maybe you can see the issue

Old 01-16-2011, 03:46 AM
Originally Posted by Adon
wow yea man, i mean im on stock exhaust too and if anything it made it just a tad bit louder, im actually disappointed that it's not louder than it is, but no odd noises or nothing like that at any rpm range, definitely something wrong with yours get it looked at raise the car up or something maybe you can see the issue
I'm not too surprised to see the stock exhaust isn't like blaringly loud considering it has a good amount of muffling. Once you go aftermarket, those things get TOO loud.

I'm kind of scared off now about the whole welds breaking thing...

Old 01-16-2011, 03:46 AM
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Steadfast= Its the welds that hold the mesh in on the inside of the resonators. The exhaust might be causing them to vibrate if they broke loose. Not the welds on the pipe itself. I was worried about that at first but they are holding strong. Kinda wierd that they didnt come with mounting points for the oem cat brace.

Old 01-16-2011, 03:19 PM
Ah gotcha, thought it was the entire resonator itself that would break loose. And as far as I know, the Berks HFCs are the only thing that have mounting points for the brace.

Old 01-16-2011, 03:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What is funny is-
I have the nismo exhaust *being sold in soon here to another member* , but I paired that with the test pipes, and it woke up my car like a giant on crack.

Ungodly loud

Check out my youtube channel video of my car get an idea.

I'm not sure of my other mods had to do with it, but you'll get an idea.

www.youtube.com/TofuProductionCinema

Old 01-20-2011, 12:11 PM
I sent an email to Megan waiting to here back if they will do anything.
Anything yet, man?

Old 01-20-2011, 09:46 PM
Received 366 Likes on 211 Posts
I installed these test pipes yesterday along with my greddy sp2 axleback! I love how it sounds when you throw a rev nice and deep! So now when I tuen on my car in the morning the metal bracket in between the tp"s shakes like a mother so thinking of welding some extensionsfr the tps to the bracket to keep it from rattling when I start the car! Alsoy exhaust rasps alot you can hear it the most from the cabin and at 3300k rpm but I'm a get a HR y pipe to see if cleans any of the rasp out and If doesn't these things are going up in the marketplace
Btw I have v2

Old 01-21-2011, 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by GARRYDG07
I installed these test pipes yesterday along with my greddy sp2 axleback! I love how it sounds when you throw a rev nice and deep! So now when I tuen on my car in the morning the metal bracket in between the tp"s shakes like a mother so thinking of welding some extensionsfr the tps to the bracket to keep it from rattling when I start the car! Alsoy exhaust rasps alot you can hear it the most from the cabin and at 3300k rpm but I'm a get a HR y pipe to see if cleans any of the rasp out and If doesn't these things are going up in the marketplace
Btw I have v2
If I'm correct, you just remove the support bracket that's supposed to hold the cats since most test pipes don't use the OEM one anyway.

Also, it doesn't seem that this has been answered, but is the rasp like really THAT bad?

Old 01-21-2011, 12:12 AM
^ as far as these test pipes coupled with a stock exhaust, no rasp no nothing, matter a fact it's only a little bit louder than before, but now I wish it was more so I will be adding a megan HR style y pipe soon as I can to see if that brings out more of that sexy VQ gurgle

Old 01-21-2011, 12:15 AM
^ as far as these test pipes coupled with a stock exhaust, no rasp no nothing, matter a fact it's only a little bit louder than before, but now I wish it was more so I will be adding a megan HR style y pipe soon as I can to see if that brings out more of that sexy VQ gurgle
Yeah I've noticed that, as long as it's mated to the stock exhaust, it's fine, but I have an x02 exhaust. Any type of aftermarket exhaust for that matter seems like it would rasp. What I'm wondering though is like exactly how bad/loud the rasp is?

I have a friend with a 350z with unresonated test pipes and that rasped BAD, but how much different would resonated by just imagining?

Old 01-21-2011, 12:59 AM
Received 366 Likes on 211 Posts
The rasp to me is bad IMHO cause u can't go hit full throttle knowing that it's gonna have that rasp from 2800-3200 rpm or could it be cause I have a greddy sp2 axleback and I'm restricting the air going in the y pipe and midpipe!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: THE megan racing v2 resonated test pipe thread....