Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Problem with Fast Intentions and my test pipes.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 06:52 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry Problem with Fast Intentions and my test pipes.

I was really happy with my FI Intimidator exhaust and the resonated test pipes for about 20,000 miles. I bought this system back in 2006 when it was just coming out.

Now the resonators sound like ****. They have a really "tinny" or "buzzing" sound. They sound like there is something rattling loose at a high pitch and at a high frequency.

Local exhaust shop inspected system and said there are no leaks or anything like that. He said my resonators have gone bad.

Too be honest, I don't know what that means. (I have no clue what the internals are) I don't know if they are only supposed to be good for a certain number of miles or not. I have contacted FI three times to see if this is something I can get repaired by sending them back or if I just need to buy new ones.

FI has not responded to me either way, so I am turning against doing business with them in the future, even though I love the sound of this setup.
If FI won't take care of me, then I guess I need to take my money somewhere else. Especially if they can't even answer the simple questions I have asked here. The car sounds like **** and I have got to get them replaced soon. It's embarrassing to drive!!

Does anybody here know what the service life is of the resonated test pipes?
Know what is going on inside the pipe that makes the sound? Something rebuildable, or are these supposed to be disposable?
Do all resonated test pipes wear out after a certain amount of miles?

Last edited by SURFJ9009; 01-12-2010 at 06:54 AM. Reason: typos
Old 01-12-2010, 01:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They "may" have been made with fiberglass or metal filler (think Brillo pad) for the resonator and if so they will wear out after time. Probably cheaper just replacing them all together. Before you run out and get something different tough I'd wait to see what MotorDyne is coming out with in the next few weeks.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:17 PM
Received 444 Likes on 315 Posts
I'm not sure about the life span of resonated test pipes but it does sound like something is coming loose. If this is the case it only has 2 places to go... out through the exhaust or back into the engine. I would take them off ASAP.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Eeek, I know what sound you're talking about. Had that with my muffler tip with straight pipe and it was rather annoying. Only thing you can do is have it replaced.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:27 PM
So does anybody know of some sound clips with the intimidator exhasut and a different companies test pipes?
I am pretty turned off by FI service and lack of response to my simple questions, but I have never heard anything quite as nice as the setup I HAD before it got nasty and worn out.

I would hate buy another set of them and have them go out in another 20,000 miles. Or would I have this problem with any manufacturer?

Old 01-12-2010, 05:31 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 335 Likes on 187 Posts
That's odd. Tony has some of the best customer service i have ever seen. There is a vendor on here that sell his products try hitting them up ans see if they can help you get in contact with Tony!

Old 01-12-2010, 05:34 PM
i would imagine that 2 or 300 cell hiflow cat material is prety much the same. between vendors. FI doesnt make that themselves.

Is your tune good? Hight EGT's can burn out hiflow cats quickly

Old 01-12-2010, 05:48 PM
I don't use the HFC, I have the resonated test pipes. (I am guessing your right though about burning up what ever was inside)

I haven't gotten a tune. I dont think there is anybody around here that does that. I really don't know that much about tuning. I only put on a K&N and z-tube, plus the MREV2(for sure) and spacer(cant remember but I am pretty sure). These mods were all done about 18,000 miles ago.

Maybe I am not getting any technical support from FI becasue the test pipes aren't street legal? But that wouldn't apply here because all of my 20,000 miles are on a track.

And I know Tony has a good reputation for his service. I am rather surprised that I have had no luck getting help from him. When his products were just coming out and he was on here a lot, it was great. I actually bought my exhaust directly after hearing a video clip of the first system installed on a G35 coupe, way back then.

Last edited by SURFJ9009; 01-12-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:01 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
The resonators in test pipes don't "burn out" like they do in Catalytic Converters.

You have something loose or broken.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by Skaterbasist
The resonators in test pipes don't "burn out" like they do in Catalytic Converters.

You have something loose or broken.
That's what I was thinking. That was my original question to FI. I was trying to find out if I could send them in for repair of if the were non-serviceable, and I would have to just buy new ones.

Are they repairable or throw away items?

Old 01-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
What did Tony say when you asked him that question ^ ^

Last edited by tiguy99; 01-12-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats why i got non resonated, no problems with those so far.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well the resonator does have a fiber material filler (looks like a big cotton ball roll) in the resonator part that acts as a sound deadening. If they used cheaper materials excess fuel does deteriorate the fabric quickly which will give it a hollow "tinny" sound which is what you are hearing. Honestly if you had a leak you would smell it. And something loose will sound more like a rattle or like something in a tin can. But it just sounds like the material is gone and it has lost its sound deadening material to reduce the rasp. There is no point in fixing them when you can just buy new ones for almost the same cost and you don't have to worry about the new welds cracking.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:50 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Instead of PMing through the forum, call him directly @ the shop.
I know he's busy and sometimes slow to respond through the forum.
You'll have better luck reaching him by calling.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
please let us know what happen, cuz i think i am gonna get that FI setup too.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Problem with Fast Intentions and my test pipes.