Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

PPE Engineering LongTube Headers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 11:18 PM
Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Dsskyline, any updates?

Old 11-18-2011, 12:58 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
anxiously waiting...

Old 11-18-2011, 01:21 AM
Received 114 Likes on 55 Posts
I third that!!!! .

Old 11-18-2011, 08:30 AM
Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts
I will post the dyno sheet tomorrow after the track. There were gains I just want to justify with track times when you see the sheet you will understand.

The headers changed the sound of the car completely a friend that had his car tuned also said it sounded like a GTR.

I should of made a video before revving, but I do have one at the track before the headers.

Numbers before 269hp/228tq after untuned 270hp/235tq tuned 272hp/242tq.

I know to most only a 3hp gain and 14tq is probably nothing. Remember don't always look at the peak numbers.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:29 AM
Well, even if you just took the peak numbers into account, it did just slightly better than an existing header & art pipe package, which is likely as expensive, if not more expensive than the ppe's. I cant wait to see the curve. I wanted to do the exhaust upgrades all at once and then drive to austin to get tuned. The sound changes sound favorable too. Where did the car gain the most area under the curve?

Old 11-18-2011, 10:26 AM
Received 114 Likes on 55 Posts
Dsskyline.......do u have a baseline on your car from that same dyno?? I mean completely stock
Wanna see your total gains overall. I'm trying to get my tuner to put all my dyno runs in a USB for me so I can get them ready wen I do cams as well.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by JuicinJake
Well, even if you just took the peak numbers into account, it did just slightly better than an existing header & art pipe package, which is likely as expensive, if not more expensive than the ppe's. I cant wait to see the curve. I wanted to do the exhaust upgrades all at once and then drive to austin to get tuned. The sound changes sound favorable too. Where did the car gain the most area under the curve?
From 4200-6500k 10-20hp/tq over the before dyno done in the morning.

PR I don't have a stock dyno on RT dyno I just have my 1st tune in 09 to compare against.

I might hit the dyno when I go home for thanksgiving and do 3 pulls on the same dyno before I got the momentum headers. I just had test pipes then.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:25 PM
that sounds like the meat of my powerband on my car... now my question for you (which im sure will somewhat be answered by the dyno graphs later) is: where did the s1 cams move your powerband? how much higher are you revving? the mrev2 cars notoriously have that dip in the powerband up top. i was hoping that the headers and cams would "correct" that to some degree, while still letting me reap the midrange benefits of the mrev2. from what you said, it sounds like the headers really made a difference where the cams allowed the engine to breath the most... which is exactly what i expected. how did they do down low?

Old 11-19-2011, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well? Sorry, just really interested in the results.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Well here are the results same day before and after dyno of PPE LTH runs 17 (before) and 25 (tuned for headers).

We are still trying to find out the reason for the loss of power in lowend after the header install.

Track times sucked because of that drop in power it killed my launches, but I think we know what the problem is and it's not header related.

TB not opening fully in the same area as the loss of power. I guess I need a new TB and a retune as you can see on the sheet the power started to climb then, dropped, and picked up again that is due to the TB not opening fully until 4200rpm.

We determined it is a TB issue by logging with cipher and saw the throttle slowly open to 100% when at WOT for some reason. Also my battery was disconnected for the install which took 6hrs then put on the dyno. The TB might of lost it's position when reconnected.

I will keep everyone posted on the outcome runs 3 and 25 compares my 1st tune ever at RT in 09 to what I have now. I ran 13.2 on that tune.

Name:  DDW_1285.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  73.4 KB
Name:  DDW_1286.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  73.2 KB

Last edited by Dsskyline; 11-20-2011 at 02:02 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dsskyline:
SDGenius (11-19-2011), TunerMax (11-23-2013)
Old 11-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
Wow big increase in torque. By before did you mean before PPE headers installed or before tune but with the PPE headers installed

Old 11-19-2011, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by jbwrecked
Wow big increase in torque. By before did you mean before PPE headers installed or before tune but with the PPE headers installed
run 17 is before headers were installed run 25 is after tuned. I was at RT tuning from 9-8pm.

Run 3 is before cams and LTH. Hopefully when I fix my lowend problem and get retuned more power can be had sure looked that way around 3200 until my TB issue.

Last edited by Dsskyline; 11-19-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:15 AM
the power drop only appears in the post-header install dyno. it appears that the tb was operating properly on the morning run, but for some reason was not operating properly later in the day. the power tapers off on the top end identically with either combination, so its not like the headers just shifted the curve up. looking at the low end it appears to be on the rise before the drop. there also is a surge of power after the drop. there should be some area under the curve in between those points. you said your track times sucked, but you have a ton more power under the curve up top... did your mph in the 1/4 go up to 110ish?

Last edited by JuicinJake; 11-20-2011 at 05:09 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by JuicinJake
the power drop only appears in the post-header install dyno. it appears that the tb was operating properly on the morning run, but for some reason was not operating properly later in the day. the power tapers off on the top end identically with either combination, so its not like the headers just shifted the curve up. looking at the low end it appears to be on the rise before the drop. there also is a surge of power after the drop. there should be some area under the curve in between those points. you said your track times sucked, but you have a ton more power under the curve up top... did your mph in the 1/4 go up to 110ish?
my first run was 14.1@101 with a 2.4 60 ft. the last time I had a 60 like that was yrs ago.

The focus then changed from getting good times to finding out what the issue is.

Luckily one of guys had his cipher cable with tuner installed so we logged a couple of runs on a side road going WOT as low as we can in 2nd.

The car takes off then feels like I let off and then floor it again around 4500. The RPMS rise slowly from 2k-4.2k then takes off afterwards.

I didn't have my tuned ROM for my headers just a before tune ROM, so we reflashed the car ,but with the UPREV tuned throttle control.

The car then went 13.8@103 2.1 60ft next we turned off ETC reflashed made another run car went 13.6@103 2.06 60ft.

There was still a delay, but not as bad even though I was down on power.

Obviously it's a TB or tune with throttle problem so I will get it sorted out and keep everyone updated and get retuned at least the before was accurate no issues just won't be same day.

The headers make power with cams on a DE as shown the question is will there be more power once I get my TB issue fixed.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by Dsskyline
The car takes off then feels like I let off and then floor it again around 4500. The RPMS rise slowly from 2k-4.2k then takes off afterwards.
i totally agree with what you guys came up with. thats not header design. thats definately something else. it sucks for right now, but it'll be good in the long run when you get it sorted out. i cant wait to see the final results. for you to have that much more power up top and your mph drop like that, something is up. i wish you the best of luck with it. i look forward to hearing that you get this resolved. when you do, and i see the final dyno and track results, im gonna spring for a set of ppe's and a tdx2!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PPE Engineering LongTube Headers