Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2005 G35 sport coupe paint problems?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 G35 sport coupe paint problems?

Does anyone else have issues with paint chips on their cars. I seem to have alot of pencil tip diameter chips all over the front bumper and hood (Black Paint). Plus of any thing touches the car it leaves a blemish. Dont blame it on Black paint 'cause that is all I ever own. My body guy remembers a paint recall from PPG awhile back but cant seem to get any answers from Infiniti.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:28 AM
Do a search buddy... These cars have really soft paint. Best thing to do is to get a clear bra but from what your saying it's already to late. I have a 2005 Liquid Platinum Coupe and I had my whole car repainted with some heavy duty paint because my G is my Daily driver.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by yrralnc
Does anyone else have issues with paint chips on their cars. I seem to have alot of pencil tip diameter chips all over the front bumper and hood (Black Paint). Plus of any thing touches the car it leaves a blemish. Dont blame it on Black paint 'cause that is all I ever own. My body guy remembers a paint recall from PPG awhile back but cant seem to get any answers from Infiniti.

My Black 2005 has the same paint issues

Old 10-30-2007, 04:03 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Unfortunately most of todays cars are painted with a water based paint. Due to restrictions of the use of VOC's, It caused the softer paints on todays vehicles.

I had my front bumper repainted once already about a year ago....The original paint was soo badly pitted and chipped, it made my car look 10yrs older.

But, the new paint is no better IMO, I've already racked up my share of new chips.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:50 AM
My body shop has never heard of soft paint. He blames the manufacturers for putting on a thin coat of paint and a thin coat of clear. Actually I recently learned of a recall by a paint supplier to Infiniti/Nissan around the year my car was built for a defect in the clear coat. I am having a hard time getting infiniti to tell me what paint was used on my car to see if this is my/our problem. Maybe they cant afford to tell me.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:07 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
^^^Interesting about the paint recall. Perhaps you'll have more luck with the paint manufacture in them disclosing actual date of usage with Infiniti on production date on your G.

But in general as mentioned before...lower VOC's has made the paint of today not even close in durability to the day of what lacquer base paints were the past.

Every one of my other non Nissan/Infi vehicles has this chip plague on them as well.

Think the 08 G37's have that self repairing paint now. That paint is high tech stuff and I would def call that soft paint...
Curious how well it works and if it does, maybe good alternative to use when we get our G35's repainted from chips.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:35 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
After doing a search on our paint, you may find the amount of material to read can keep you busy full time if you are already retired. All of our paint is weak with an emphasise on Laser Red. Best bet is the clear bra. It was the best investment I made after 2 bumper repaints later.

Last edited by bocatrip; 11-01-2007 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:39 PM
The self repairing paint is a good idea but if you live in the south where the regular temps are in the high 90's. I have heard, but not seen, that the car looks cloudy until the temp drops then it clears up again.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:58 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
My body shop has never heard of soft paint. He blames the manufacturers for putting on a thin coat of paint and a thin coat of clear. Actually I recently learned of a recall by a paint supplier to Infiniti/Nissan around the year my car was built for a defect in the clear coat. I am having a hard time getting infiniti to tell me what paint was used on my car to see if this is my/our problem. Maybe they cant afford to tell me.
I have no idea what kinda of shop you're dealing with but Infiniti's are known for softer paint just as BMW's or Mercedes are know for have really hard paints. This can be proven with the way the cars respond to detailing. If you have an Infiniti who's paint is swirled and a Mercedes or BMW that is swirled, it takes more time to polish out the swirls on the BMW and Merc than it does on the Infiniti, that's a fact. Harder the paint, longer the polishing time and vice versa.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:20 PM
Received 217 Likes on 146 Posts
i also have paint chips on my front bumper ....soo looks like ima have to repaint it and get a clear bra....

Old 11-01-2007, 06:26 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
If your body shop has never heard of soft paint, there is no way I would let them touch my car.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:01 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gdriver916
I have a 2005 Liquid Platinum Coupe and I had my whole car repainted with some heavy duty paint because my G is my Daily driver.
Got an 06 LP DD as well... so i have some questions What paint did you end up going with? You get an all-over? And if you don't mind me asking, what was the roundabout cost?

Old 11-02-2007, 08:15 AM
[QUOTE=06CPV35Think the 08 G37's have that self repairing paint now. That paint is high tech stuff and I would def call that soft paint...
Curious how well it works and if it does, maybe good alternative to use when we get our G35's repainted from chips.[/QUOTE]

I've got the same chipping problems with my G37. The grill has some pits in it too.

gurney

Old 11-02-2007, 09:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bocatrip
After doing a search on our paint, you may find the amount of material to read can keep you busy full time if you are already retired. All of our paint is weak with an emphasise on Laser Red. Best bet is the clear bra. It was the best investment I made after 2 bumper repaints later.
Thats not good news for me I have Laser Red

Old 11-02-2007, 09:53 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by gurneyeagle
I've got the same chipping problems with my G37. The grill has some pits in it too.

gurney
Interesting...maybe I was wrong on that, but thought they were using that type of paint on the 08's.
Remember reading about it where it would self repair small nicks, chips, scratches, etc, but not big ones and it took time to self repair itself.

back on topic...sort of...
Wish I had gotten a clear bra when mine was new. While researching on here for best kind, where, etc, I got some chips before I finished researching.
So I said forget it, whats the point now.

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 11-02-2007 at 09:57 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2005 G35 sport coupe paint problems?