Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

$5 Door Lock Actuator fix updated thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Quick question... After this installation, did anyone have any issues with installing a car alarm? Does it interfere with alarm systems in any way?

Thanks!

Old 06-03-2015, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 G35 Coupe -- both door locks don't work with the remote -- have to lock with the key. Where can I buy the parts to fix?

Anyone in NYC willing to help =) ?

Thanks!

Old 07-18-2016, 06:03 PM
does anyone make the bracket? I bought some aluminum and attempted to make my own but turned out bad.

Willing to buy 2 brackets with mounting holes shipped to 23005

Old 01-10-2017, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by pythonjosh
^^Even with never having back problems, my back still kills sometimes after the 30mins it takes to install one of these.
Let me know if you run into any questions with the install!
Mate, is it necessary to chop the wires that feed factory actuators or if left connected they will interfere or lock out doors/something.. !?!

Regards

Old 01-10-2017, 04:51 PM
Received 90 Likes on 60 Posts
Disconnecting the original actuator is a safety precaution. It is a failed electronic module that is still getting power. True it's been getting power the entire time, it's just logical to remove power from a failed electronic circuit. You can leave power running to it, but there's no benefit or functionality in doing so.

The following users liked this post:
Kan811217 (01-10-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 02:25 AM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts
G35
I just did this for both doors and I'm soooo happy I didn't spend the 700 bucks for the OEM module in Canada.
OP, thank you very much! You saved me $1390.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:08 PM
Any body in socal, that knows how to do this 5dollar fix? I will pay for you to do the install on both my doors.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:25 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Just did my driver and passenger door. I just purchased an identical kit on ebay, came with all the parts... Works great. Thanks.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am about to do this tomorrow but I notice that my actuator does not come with those slide tab things that you put onto the plastic splines to attach the aluminum bracket. Is there a name for these so I can get them at the hardware store? Also I noticed some say that they burned out and shorted there car (BCM?) but I also read deeper that there installations seemed shoddy and there was interference with the rods movment which may have caused it to not move and maybe stressed the actuator, thus the short? Or are these cheap actuators just not compatible with our G's circuitry?...............EDIT: I just used lock nuts to attach to the spline and no tab brackets

Last edited by TotalChump; 06-25-2018 at 11:48 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So when I first saw this I was like who the F is performing this abortion on their car, and then I saw the actual OEM process and than I understood. I to refused to dismantle my entire car to then pay hundreds of $ just to say I have an OEM actuator. So I did this with extreme hesitation. I was most concerned about losing functionality if this fix fails. The most tedious part was attaching the rod bracket with the 3 tiny screws. I used red thread locker for the rod screw, I didn't on the other 2 which probably required it more but since I was sick of it, had 1 hand wedging the bracket to the clamp thing and other hand screwing meanwhile the entire panel was being held in place between my knees I just tightened the F out of it and that was it. Hopefully it holds up. So if this fails tho I wont be able to lock my door now? not even with the key? If thats the case this sucks. I even filed the rod down at the end in hopes the screws would have something nice and friendly to bite against but didnt matter since I utimately had to snip the end and the part I filed was sideways anyways. I noticed the actuator rod didnt seem to like being turned so I left it as is since I didnt want it to be under any stress. I also put my actuator upside down compared to josh. It was defintelly lining up the rod much straighter that way. Also since I didnt have the luxury of Josh sending me a kit, I just used the 2 mounting brackets that came with and connected them together. I got 2 since I was forced by amazon to get a pair of actuators. Since the actuaotor is screwed to the bracket it held it in place creating 1 bracket. Another advantage of this route, no measuring or cutting. Since it is now an adjustable bracket slide it to size and then tighten it down.
I saw this dudes strategy and I couldnt believe it but he made this crazy fix even more ridiculous.
He lost me when he was talking about stuffing scrap wires in the adapter for more tension , and cuting the sheathing of the lock cable and using zip ties. However I wonder if this weird way has any advantages such as if it fails he is just back to square one where we are actually now unlockable ? Whatever, I am sure I will total my car this weekend anyways, but this was still interesting. Would have never tried this if it werent for this forum. Thanks josh for the vids.

Connecting 2 of the kits mounting brackets to combine as 1. Easily slides to correct size.

Last edited by TotalChump; 06-26-2018 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Adding pix
Old 06-26-2018, 12:51 AM
YW bro. I got rid of my G long ago, but I've done this process well over 100 times for G owners in So Cal alone. Almost everything is still well grained into my memory lol

Old 07-12-2018, 09:48 PM
Actuator kit

Originally Posted by pythonjosh
That's me, pm me.
hey are you still selling kits? I would like driver and passenger side for my 04 coupe

Old 07-13-2018, 04:46 AM
Yea I'll make a couple for ya. I still have a bunch of left over actuators.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:10 AM
Actuator

Hey, how can I get in touch with you to get the actuators?

Old 07-24-2018, 10:00 PM
pythonjosh, sent you a pm the other day... hopefully you can get back to me!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: $5 Door Lock Actuator fix updated thread