Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Reverse Tilt Down Outside Mirrors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 03:32 PM
FGC's official flip flopper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My '04 X-5 only had the passenger side tilt. I was happy with just that. I'll take tilt down of either mirror and would love the fold in mirror too as I tend to park on city parking along side the road. (just another thing I got used to in the X-5)

Also...you could control whenever it tilted down by having your setter off the left mirror control (if that makes sense). I wonder how this control will work...

Old 05-23-2005, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by Z2G
in other luxury cars that i've driven, i remember that both mirrors would turn downward when the car is put into reverse.

In my 2002 bmw 330ci.....ONLY the PASSENGER side mirror tilts down..there is no need for the driver side to do so..and it doesn't..most of the street parking is passenger side...unless u are on a one way street, then u would have to deal with the driver side, in such a case, just look outside the window and down...and a perfect view of the curb with your own two eyes is all you need...hehehehe

Old 05-23-2005, 08:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, definitely count me in for this mod. But a couple questions:

1. Never had an alarm before until I got a G. What's the big deal with a 2-way remote alarm system?

2. G35UKY was going to check to see if the kit from Japan was RH only. Isn't that what we want? To have the RH tilt down, as the LH wouldn't really matter?? Or am I getting the acronym RH completely wrong??

Old 05-23-2005, 09:42 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
On a RH drive vehicle the LEFT mirror would tilt (they drive on the other side of the road). A two way alarm communicates between the remote and the car alarm to give you audible and visual confirmation of arming, status, and any sensor trips. They typically use LCD screens which are somewhat delicate!

Old 05-24-2005, 08:25 AM
RH/LH tilt

Here what Yoshi said: "We checked about the parking support system, and Nissan said that both of the mirror down when it reveres. Because the parking support system is harness and short parts for the mirror, I have also heard that it does not come with the mirrors. So, I think that you do not need to paint the mirror (because you will use stock mirrors)."

What this means is that both the RH (passenger side) and LH (driver's side) mirrors tilt down, and this kit comes with the parts and wiring to be added to your existing mirrors, which means no painting of new mirror housings.

Check back about 10 replies up to see how to order from Yoshi san at J's Garage for $314.22 + shipping, and the shipping should be around $40 according to Yoshi san.

Old 05-24-2005, 09:21 AM
AWESOME
I AM BUYING IT!

Any luck on the key fob with built in remote?

Old 05-24-2005, 09:39 AM
Ok..so both mirros turn down...can you control when it goes down and when it doesnt? I can't imagine both looking down and trying to get into traffic. Also..what about the fold-in thing for parking it tight spaces or on the city streets? Since we have to use our stock mirrors...I assume this feature is a no-go?

Old 05-24-2005, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by sillief00l
AWESOME
I AM BUYING IT!

Any luck on the key fob with built in remote?
Yoshi san said that the key with built-in remote is difficult to arrange right now so I'll have to keep checking on that one after a while.

Old 05-24-2005, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by g8tor20
Ok..so both mirros turn down...can you control when it goes down and when it doesnt? I can't imagine both looking down and trying to get into traffic. Also..what about the fold-in thing for parking it tight spaces or on the city streets? Since we have to use our stock mirrors...I assume this feature is a no-go?
The mirrors will automatically tilt down when you put the vehicle into reverse. I am assumng that this system uses the same sensor attached to the gear shift that operates the reverse lights. We will just have to splice into the outputs to the lights to tell the mirrors to tilt unless the kit comes with a new sensor to make the splicing unnecessary.

For the auto fold-in, I gather that it can be added to the stock mirrors. The JDM version uses the same housings and "brackets" (black portion of the mirrors) so there should be room somehow for this function to be added. From my past experience, I would say that the NTC design engineers only created one mirror housing and "bracket" that can be used for both mirrors with and without the auto fold-in.

I have been trying to get him to send me some pictures of the actual parts that will be in the kit but have not had any luck, and he is reluctant to even respond when I ask him about it.

Old 05-24-2005, 02:42 PM
Z2G
i will definitely be in. but i would prefer for someone to try it out first. please let us know how it turns out.

any news about the two-way alarm?

Old 05-24-2005, 05:11 PM
I am working a new angle to see if we can get some these answers. I have asked Spectrum, a member of this forum who has a real 350GT and lives in Japan, to see if he can get us anything to understand all of the parts and functions that I have been asking Yoshi san about.

Old 05-24-2005, 10:51 PM
Need it
Need it
Need it
I don't even care about the alarm or the fold-in feature. But if it comes with it... that's gravy

Anyone else from Canada that wants this?

Old 05-25-2005, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by bikesbikes
Need it
Need it
Need it
I don't even care about the alarm or the fold-in feature. But if it comes with it... that's gravy

Anyone else from Canada that wants this?
I am in the same boat as you. I would pay the ~$350 just for the tilt feature alone and the fold-in is a very nice bonus feature. I don't even care about the alarm since it is in kanji anyway. Plus, to be honest, I probably wouldn't want to carry that huge remote in my pocket or install that big, ugly antenna on my A pillar either. $350 seems pretty cheap to me to keep from curbing a wheel. One curbed wheel could cost more than $350 to fix or at least a lot of time and headache to fix yourself!

Old 05-25-2005, 09:57 AM
I agree...I just dont know how hard it will be to integrate the electronics into the stock housings...I guess time will tell...

I am most certainly interested if it can be done without a lot of modding.

Old 05-25-2005, 02:46 PM
OK, I just got an email from Yoshi san. He said that this is a dealer installed option and is not installed at the factory so the mecahnical parts and harnesses that we will order with the kit will be everything that is required to add to our existing mirrors. The reverse tilt down, fold-in, and two-way alarm are all included, but Yoshi san does not know if the alarm can be installed to the exported cars since no information is available to him.

He is still checking on installation instructions, but if he does not come up with anything. I will buy the kit and figure out how to make it work by purchasing a service manual and repair manual if needed, but I think Yoshi san or even Spectrum should be able to come up with the instructions since it is a dealer installed option.

I still think this is a GREAT mod with the reverse tilt and fold-in without even thinking about the alarm!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Reverse Tilt Down Outside Mirrors