Notices

Door armrest/Steering wheel "peeling"...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 07:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 G35x 34,000miles

hey guys I thought i would give an update, since I posted my frustration on the armrest chipping, I have had the steering wheel replaced, the armrests, front mud flaps, the shifter ***, the parking brake assembly, the front rotters due to a recalled part, and the rear right rotor due to a poor installation of parking brake. All of this was covered by the dealer no charge to me because I am still under the warranty, moral of the story is find a good dealer and they will take care of you. The only thing I have paid for was a trans fluid change, but that was not cheap and I found out later you don't have to do that till 100,000 miles according to the manufacturer. But the dealer told me I needed to.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:00 PM
If you don't mind me asking, which dealership in the GTA did you have this covered under warranty? Is your vehicle an American vehicle? Mine was brought over from the U.S and I have significant peeling in the driver side door trim and some starting now on the steering wheel.

Thanks

PJStyles

Originally Posted by Mississaugag35x
This may be a first for Canada. On the second trip into the dealer the manager finally agreed to replace the arm rest (after refusing on the first trip) but insisted the dealership would be taking the loss as Nissan\ Infiniti Canada will not pay for it (apparently Nissan USA and Nissan Canada do not have a unified policy?!). I'm just happy it is being replaced but it will likely get replaced with the 2007 OEM part so I'm going to need to wear my white glove to prevent it from getting scratched again.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by rayneman725
2007 G35x 34,000miles

hey guys I thought i would give an update, since I posted my frustration on the armrest chipping, I have had the steering wheel replaced, the armrests, front mud flaps, the shifter ***, the parking brake assembly, the front rotters due to a recalled part, and the rear right rotor due to a poor installation of parking brake. All of this was covered by the dealer no charge to me because I am still under the warranty, moral of the story is find a good dealer and they will take care of you. The only thing I have paid for was a trans fluid change, but that was not cheap and I found out later you don't have to do that till 100,000 miles according to the manufacturer. But the dealer told me I needed to.
Finding a good dealer is key. Some dealerships don't warrenty unless they absolutely have to while others, like the one I go to, they warrenty everything to keep me happy.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Side Panel Material Peeling in Back Seat

Hey guys, my problem is a little different. I have a 2003, the leather/ back foam is peeling off the door on one side and the back panels to. Anyone know how to remove the back panels (or is there a DIY) so I can repair it easily? Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Door armrest/Steering wheel "peeling"...-g35-side-panel.jpg  
Old 03-17-2011, 12:49 AM
Interior scraches and peel

Originally Posted by Phil Swagger
HEy guys. My door armrest and steering wheel are getting scratched. I try to take the best care of them but it seems like they just keep getting beat up. Has anybody had an issue with this and is it replaceable under warranty?
I totally agree. Even my cars arm rest and steering has got deep scratches. No, it isnt covered under warrenty. I wish I could change it. It looks bad. I read few posts asking "what r u guys doing to get the scratches" etc. Trust us, we take good care of our cars too.. but it still happens.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow. I've had my G since January '03 and have never had a peeling problem. The only thing I've noticed on the door is that it is finally getting a little indentation on the arm rest pad from my elbow. Of course I've had the car 8 years now. The interior has always been great.

Good luck on yours,

Ray

Old 05-02-2011, 10:51 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Im taking my car in at the end of the month. Putting together a list of things for the service department. Chipping on steering wheel, door handle and shifter ****. Driver window auto roll up switch doesn't work....... hmmmm what else. 53k miles, warranty is up in July.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Update on peeling: fixed!

Markham Infiniti in Toronto fixed my window actuator and the tech accidentally scratched the coating on the cover. They of course agreed to fix it but the incident gave me the opportunity to raise the peeling wheel and shifter with them. They are the third dealer I've tried, and frankly, I'd given up! To my surprise they agreed to fix all the parts including the wheel. BTW, a wheel in Canada costs $1300 installed. Shifter **** $325! I also had the gas tank gasket/valve problem fixed so I could fill up again without a full moon. Markham Infiniti is the best GTA dealer. All that was under warranty. Support them
If you are in the Torono area.

Originally Posted by jtebb
I'd love to know if there's a reference I can give the dealer here in Toronto, Canada as they told me it wouldn't be covered after claiming they sent photos to Infiniti's headquarters. Downtown Infiniti in Toronto was useless. My wheel is peeling worse than the posted photos in this thread.

Had my G in for a broken auto up window actuator during the replacement if the door switch cover the mechanic scratched the part with his tool. It is easy because the coating is so soft and weak. Anyhow, the dealer said he would replace that but I took the opportunity to show him my wheel and shifter ****, both of which were peeling. He agreed to fix both this time. So I have a new wheel and shifter in my 2008 g35x (52000 miles). Nice to not look at scratches any more. Markham Infiniti in dealer).

On an unrelated issue, I alhave wood trim on the passenger door that started coming unglued near close to the door hinge end. Pretty disappointing - my old 92 tercel never did that after 200,000+kms!

Anyone have any luck with Canadian dealers fixing peeling steering wheel?

Anyone know if you can just replace the soft touch plastic surround rather than the entire wheel? I'd buy the part if they don't cover it.

Thanks!

Old 06-09-2011, 09:24 PM
Eerily similar problems.

Are you sure you're not driving my car? See previous post!

Originally Posted by luger303
Im taking my car in at the end of the month. Putting together a list of things for the service department. Chipping on steering wheel, door handle and shifter ****. Driver window auto roll up switch doesn't work....... hmmmm what else. 53k miles, warranty is up in July.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:28 PM
Best GTA dealer:

I had all this fixed under warranty at Markham infiniti without hassles. Great service. Even aligned my car to ensure new wheel was straight! All free.

Originally Posted by PJStyles
If you don't mind me asking, which dealership in the GTA did you have this covered under warranty? Is your vehicle an American vehicle? Mine was brought over from the U.S and I have significant peeling in the driver side door trim and some starting now on the steering wheel.

Thanks

PJStyles

Old 06-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Markham Infiniti fixed peeling

Forgot to mention - my G is an American car too!

Originally Posted by jtebb
I had all this fixed under warranty at Markham infiniti without hassles. Great service. Even aligned my car to ensure new wheel was straight! All free.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:49 PM
Interior Trim Peeling

The matte black coating on my 2008 G35X front armrests and steering wheel bezel have peeled and chipped badly. The coating is so soft you can easily rub it off; it's much like the scratch-off material on a lottery ticket, only softer. I take EXTREMELY good care of the car, but simply touching the finish with a wedding ring on your finger would scratch through the coating. I was pretty disappointed in it; I did buy the car used and some scratching was present when I bought it.

I called my service advisor and asked if there was anything that could be done. She asked for digital pictures to be emailed to her. The next day I got an email stating that it would be covered by warranty, so I'm pretty pleased. On the other hand, it's been to the dealer several times and no one ever volunteered that I could get relief under warranty - and they HAD to see it when they worked on the car. I'm glad I asked. I hope the replacements are better quality.

Last edited by Katiesdad; 06-20-2011 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Omission of details
Old 07-01-2011, 04:41 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Just got my armrest and steering wheel replace due to minor peeling. Awesome. Also the Dash cluster cover was vibrating on cold days and creating a rattle. That also got replaced. Tech told me to talk to the service writer about an axle leak on the left front also. MIKE WARD INFINITI is great.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:15 AM
Warranty covered it!

Modern Infiniti replaced my steering wheel and both armrest covers under warranty. My warranty ends in December so they checked the car from bumper to bumper for any other covered issues while it was in for that repair. I had two Lexus vehicles before the G35X and the service was okay, but I've never had service this good before.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:36 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by 6mtgofast
Hey guys, my problem is a little different. I have a 2003, the leather/ back foam is peeling off the door on one side and the back panels to. Anyone know how to remove the back panels (or is there a DIY) so I can repair it easily? Thanks.
yeah im having the same problem! to get that panel off u gotta remove the back seats n then pull the rubber weather stripping off ur door and then pop the panel out. you can take it out in under 2mins. buuuut when i did take it out i saw no feasible way of repair, my goal wasnt to repair it at the time so i didnt put much thought into it but im sure someone can think of a way :]

this contains seat removal steps
https://g35driver.com/forums/interio...ted-seats.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Door armrest/Steering wheel "peeling"...