Notices

rearview mirror rattle (FIXED)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I didn't feel like taking my mirror apart so I went ahead an ordered a Gentex 453 off eBay. I was worried about the stock harness/connector not plugging into the new mirror but after comparing shots of both they looked identical.

My stock mirror was the homelink/auto dim version and the new one is the homelink/auto dim/compass version. I know I already have a compass built in but thought it would look trick and it does! It is so much easier to look at the mirror's compass instead. As an added bonus the read out is orange (the 313 compass mirrors had a green read out even though Nissan has used all orange instrumentation since about 2003). Besides, the 453 without the compass was the same price so it was a no brainer.

I installed it last night and the mouting hardware in identical to the 313. If anyone wants to go this route feel at rest knowing that it's a direct fit.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did take apart my mirror which I was also worried about. I used a method not posted on here which worked out well.

Take a few credit cards. Slide one between the plastic cover edge and the mirror... the plastic gets slightly raised, then slide another card between the card thats already there and the plastic edge... you now got 2 cards sitting there, now slide a 3rd card between the 2 cards. Basically the thickness of 3 cards should be enough to unclip the front plastic... once you got the first clip or 2 undone, you take over with your fingers all around. I just wanted to avoid marring the plastic and it worked out for me. Once the mirror was apart, I used the silicone glue. Put it all back, and no more rattling! Of course now I hear other rattling which before was less obvious.... it's never ending .

Old 07-06-2010, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rearview mirror rattle (FIXED)

Thank you everyone for this post, and especially shooter for the photos and G35fromTO for the credit card method. I first disconnected the rear power plug. Using the 3 credit cards, I opened the mirror carefully along the top. The sides and bottom took a bit more patient effort, but it opened without any damage.

My Gentex mirror (2002 Ford Taurus) had a 2-position 'clunk' wobble at the inside housing mirror anchor (shooter's DSC02220.jpg, metal disk on Page 1). Opening the mirror and tightening the bolt did not fix the problem. I believe over time, use and vibration had worn the internal plastics into an oblong shape. (The Taurus disk only had one hole and one pin, looks to be better revised design in the G35).

After removing the mirror housing, I took some thin foam double-sided tape and put in on the exposed metal disk. When I re-attached the back half of the mirror housing and tightened down the mating disk, the housing was sandwiched snugly and tightly. The rear half of the mirror housing no longer wobbled between the 2 positions.

I re-assembled the mirror, snapping the bottom in first, then sides, and finally top. The mirror is tight with no vibration issues.

I searched all over...your group is the only one I found that explained how to open the mirror.

Thanks again!

Old 07-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great to hear that it worked for another member!

Old 01-05-2011, 12:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another big thanks to shooter and everyone else who contributed to this solution. Just did mine 2 days ago after putting in my 4080 with the 10w3v3 and guess what....no more rattles or creaks from the mirror. Can't express my gratitude enough. Easy, well described and the photos helped a lot.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the pics guys. Used this to fix my mirror - basically installed little rubber flat sticky rubber feet where the columns are touching the circuit board and lined the outer edge of the mirror with electrical tape.