Notices

DIY - Painting Your Headlights

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alpha Ice
Nice! That would look really good if you did orange lights in there. Giving you the non amber look parked and still functional to not get hastled from the police
I got chrome amber bulbs. They allow the housing to have a clear lens and you can't see the bulb at all, but when it's on, it looks exactly like OEM.

Originally Posted by Gargan
Sweet! Thanks for posting that.

Now I wanna see them all put back together.
Name:  DSCN5279.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  80.9 KB

Name:  DSCN5289.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  94.1 KB

Name:  ParkingGarage2.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  152.0 KB

Name:  Car1small.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  96.8 KB

Originally Posted by money042
How many cans (ounces) of paint and primer did you need for both headlights?
Depends on what kinda paint you use. You could probably do it with 2 primer and 2 top coat. One for each headlight. But like I said, some paints are going to go on thicker and coat better than others.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:13 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Just won a pass. side '06-07 headlight on ebay. Now looking for the driver side. The chrome headlights are too shiny for my taste, I can't wait to do this mod!

I painted my grille and both headlights with less than 1 can of sandable primer and less than 1 can of black paint. In fact, I doubt I used half the primer. Duplicolor Sandable Primer and Duplicolor Bumper Paint.

Do the grille first if you're painting both and are new to painting. More room for error and worst case, you can put it back on and drive until you can re-do it properly. Not so with the headlights. Not that I think you'll have any problems, but there is a learning curve. And if I can pass on one suggestion, it's that less is better than more. It's better to underspray and have to do more layers than overspray.

And I definitely recommend one of these. $6.29 at Home Depot.
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=38

Last edited by BuckeyeInMI; 08-11-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by NaiveRapture
I got chrome amber bulbs. They allow the housing to have a clear lens and you can't see the bulb at all, but when it's on, it looks exactly like OEM.
I didn't like my chrome amber bulbs. They weren't bright enough. I tried some LEDs in there too, and they might have been bright enough, but they weren't diffused enough. Ultimately, I ended up putting the stock ambers back into my clear corners. They show up very nicely with my blinker mod.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:23 AM
Damn that red/black looks great! Kinda makes me wish I went laser red. I do love my LS tho, compliments darker colors well, especially some CF :P

Old 08-11-2009, 12:24 AM
Where would I find some chrome amber bulbs like you mentioned?

Old 08-11-2009, 12:32 AM
Received 451 Likes on 305 Posts
^Did you try PIAAs or Sylvania silverstars? I have the PIAA mirror orange bulbs that are a silver mirror finish and they are just as bright as OEM if not more.

Originally Posted by NaiveRapture
Personally what I did with the signal lenses was, I dremeled out the existing amber sections, and then I cut out circular pieces from a sheet of fluorescent lighting cover (the stuff that's textured which covers the fixture). I then epoxied those clear pieces into the little black piece on the inside that's right behind the original lens. I don't know if I have pictures of them.... I think I do hold on.

Here: Then I just screwed the black parts back int and viola you're done. It is indeed a pain in the ass, but it's worth it to me.

Nice work! Thanks for posting. I think only 03-05 coupes have those brackets attached to the rears of the bezels. Sedans don't have those. That makes the work easier for the shaping of the clear turn signal lense.
Thanks

Just won a pass. side '06-07 headlight on ebay. Now looking for the driver side. The chrome headlights are too shiny for my taste, I can't wait to do this mod!

I've gotten good at doing the bezels and it typically takes me half a can of each the primer and finish coat to complete both bezels. As already mentioned, just apply thin coats each time.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:34 AM
Received 451 Likes on 305 Posts
Nice! That would look really good if you did orange lights in there. Giving you the non amber look parked and still functional to not get hastled from the police . Hey papa, do you have any tips on wiring the CCFL clearance strips? I got mine today but they're arent any instructions. I'm gonna attempt the setup in the next week or 2. Hard with a daily driver and working almost everyday
Sorry man...I'll be honest. I suck at electrical stuff lol. Try posting up a new thread or hitting up Deftonix or accordfreak.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:39 AM
Where would I find some chrome amber bulbs like you mentioned?
Originally Posted by G35papa
^Did you try PIAAs or Sylvania silverstars? I have the PIAA mirror orange bulbs that are a silver mirror finish and they are just as bright as OEM if not more
This is what I tried. http://www.automotivelightingusa.com...oducts_id=1508 Got 'em when I bought my Luminics Ultra Golden H4 bulbs (which are awesome!). I may look for the PIAA's or Sylvania's, but I'm pretty happy with the OEM for now. (plus, I've already tried 2 other bulbs and have them just sitting around with nowhere to go).

Old 08-11-2009, 12:44 AM
Nice! I'll have to pick those up when I decide to go all out on my headlights

Old 10-20-2009, 07:17 AM
Figure I can go the day with out head lights today

So I'll, giving this a shot, thanks for the DIY...

Old 10-20-2009, 09:44 PM
Good write up, I just used this info today. Will post pics of my finished project.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:57 AM
HEELLLPPPPP! PlsPls PLEASE HELP ME. lol So The dumby that installed my r33 grill had to use a bunch of set screws to keep the grill looking pretty, (which means yup i just dropped the bumper...So anyway I'm in the middle of doing this when i realize i have no clue on disconnection the headlights from they're harness. I'm all masked up and ready to go otherwise...

Old 10-21-2009, 11:01 AM
think i should change my name too, Black in black G , w/ blk grill corners and pretty soon the black hiro's will be on it with its pretty black headlights

Old 10-21-2009, 11:19 AM
never mind, i got them off

Old 10-22-2009, 07:54 AM
So I finished all that on my 05 black on black. um on black. They have a little pearlesence in them but look black from anymore that 6 feet. little worried about the moister thing but time will tell. Alls said and done 3 burns on left arm from oven and mo d.side corner isn't working, probably a broken fillement, at one or two points i wanted to jump on the hoodd with a hammer and beat the crap out of her, but that made me feel bad so i took a could adivan and waited for them to kick in, smooth sailing from there on with a little help from a friend. Now to put on the black Axis Halo's, some window tint and I'll have my stealth G...Thanks for the DIY, These type of mods are always the ones i'm most proud of.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY - Painting Your Headlights