The Process Begins....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 12:49 AM
Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by 4drmadness
nice ur cars gonna look sick with the rookie bumper, and matte black. Im definetly down to see your car when ur finished.
Yeah I hope so, already worried about money ahahaha.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
aren't you worried about the dust, when you paint

Old 04-20-2009, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by mark5
aren't you worried about the dust, when you paint
explain please

Old 04-20-2009, 10:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude thats bad a** what you are doing good luck with everything cant wait to see some more pics

Old 04-20-2009, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by texasg
Dude thats bad a** what you are doing good luck with everything cant wait to see some more pics
Thanks man !!! And yeah when I get done I will have to have a major photoshot. I just want my Rookie bumper first!!! uh

Old 04-20-2009, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by Superior+
Thanks man !!! And yeah when I get done I will have to have a major photoshot. I just want my Rookie bumper first!!! uh
i know what u mean im waiting on an insurance estimate to find out what the damage on my car is going to cost.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by texasg
i know what u mean im waiting on an insurance estimate to find out what the damage on my car is going to cost.
what happened? That sucks but maybe some aftermarket parts now?!

Finished the sides today!!! Smooth as butta...
Plus started on the chrome trim.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:47 AM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
thenameistuan,risingson - Mine seem ok so far, but if I notice sag etc I will, thanks.
What's "sag"?

Old 04-21-2009, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by AARONHL
What's "sag"?
As in it hanging lower? showing signs of failing

Old 04-21-2009, 05:24 PM
what happened? That sucks but maybe some aftermarket parts now?!

Finished the sides today!!! Smooth as butta...
Plus started on the chrome trim.
Are you taping up the chrome? Not trying to be jerk but you want to take them off or the paint will flake off at some point.

What he ment by "dust" was cars get some dust in side paint booths so painting out side every thing and any thing will stick to the paint when its wet. If you call around you can rent a booth by the day. So you dont have to do the painting step out side. At least rent it to just do the "paint" and let it dry and then drive it home.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by PPGFREAK
Are you taping up the chrome? Not trying to be jerk but you want to take them off or the paint will flake off at some point.

What he ment by "dust" was cars get some dust in side paint booths so painting out side every thing and any thing will stick to the paint when its wet. If you call around you can rent a booth by the day. So you dont have to do the painting step out side. At least rent it to just do the "paint" and let it dry and then drive it home.
I was just starting it... I don't know if I am going to take the trim off or not. It is still being painted on or off the car/
The chipping idea is not really logical more likely the paints not going to be on the edges and will just look like ****... I don't understand the chipping factor. Please explain.

....Said this on the first page.

yep I picked up my 30 spray paint cans from the depot today! The dollar ones!>

......If I had the equipment maybe. No I am doing it in a booth this friday and saturday hopefully if I can finish sanding by thursday.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:44 PM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
So you are using spray cans?

Old 04-21-2009, 09:03 PM
^oh ok sorry I must of missed that lol.

Ok when I say "flaking" or "peeling" its because all the paint comps PPG, Dupont, Martin Senior, Sikins, ect say that the "paint needs to go panel edge to panel edge" The reson for this is you paint up to a line, moulding, window, door handle, ect you cant sand under it so the paint with not stick to a unsanded and cleaned surface. So at some point from wind, car wash, ect the paint in the spots that were not sander will start to lift up and flake away or peel off.

Im a painter at a dealership so all I do every day is paint. When I have a car come back that I painted it looks great I would never even know I painted it. But when a car comes in that the shop down the street did all the paint is comming off. Its not worthing saving two hours off extra work now to start the fourty plus hour job all over. Your paint job is will only hold up as long as the prep work does. I will pm you my cell if you ever want to talk paint

Old 04-21-2009, 10:50 PM
naughty240 - It was a joke man.

Originally Posted by PPGFREAK
^oh ok sorry I must of missed that lol.

Ok when I say "flaking" or "peeling" its because all the paint comps PPG, Dupont, Martin Senior, Sikins, ect say that the "paint needs to go panel edge to panel edge" The reson for this is you paint up to a line, moulding, window, door handle, ect you cant sand under it so the paint with not stick to a unsanded and cleaned surface. So at some point from wind, car wash, ect the paint in the spots that were not sander will start to lift up and flake away or peel off.

Im a painter at a dealership so all I do every day is paint. When I have a car come back that I painted it looks great I would never even know I painted it. But when a car comes in that the shop down the street did all the paint is comming off. Its not worthing saving two hours off extra work now to start the fourty plus hour job all over. Your paint job is will only hold up as long as the prep work does. I will pm you my cell if you ever want to talk paint

Yeah I understand what you mean that was the plan to take off all the trim and handles I am just really trying to hurry. Is the trim easy to pop off?

Old 04-22-2009, 02:14 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Superior+

I'm not hating or anything but, you really need to give credit to people for their advise, and quit acting like everything you're doing is correct. i.e issues with bondo, chipping factor with trim stiil on etc. just a few observations

Anyways... looks like everything is coming along fine, keep at it!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The Process Begins....