NorthEast Serving CT, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VA, VT, WV

**NYC** Is a WINTER setup necessary?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 12:09 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have to drive everyday, yes, you will need a winter setup. But if you just need to run an errand or two, you will be fine as long as the roads are free of snow and you are a cautious driver. I've spun out taking a 10 mph turn with just a dusting on the ground without my winter setup. VDC only helps so far. It all depends on the exact conditions of where you are at that given moment, not based on what others have been able to do in the winter with their summer tires.

Old 11-18-2005, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter Tires = $1000
G35 Coupe = $36k
Getting into an accident without winter set up = Price beyond your winter tires.

Beside if you had to shovel the snow out to the middle of the street even owning winter tires will not do much with the coupe. I say look for a winter beater a used crap car for about 1k get you from a to b and you could careless if it gets ding

Old 11-18-2005, 01:58 PM
I wonder about that too, cause I only drive my car to the train station. which's about 2 miles away. maybe on weekends in weather not sure if i need winter tires. plus i have 19 inches rims, and they don't make snow tires for 19 . so I have to buy extra rims.

Old 11-18-2005, 02:01 PM
Like what was posted above, you can get a set of wheels and tires for about 1,000-1,200. Well worth it if you have to get somewhere and need the car. Even on dry pavement, the stock tires are like rocks when the ground and temps are cold. Just no traction. No traction = longer breaking distances! A few inches could save you hundred if not thousands, let alone a few feet!

Old 11-18-2005, 02:13 PM
northeast = snow = winter tires on rear wheel drive car. Spend the 1,000 dollars its cheap next to the cost of a new car.

Old 11-18-2005, 02:25 PM
Banned
I travel in the Manhattan to L.I. region.
My coupe is not a daily, but still gets plenty of usage.
In my opinion, winter setups are a must if your car came with summer tires OE.

Summer tires were designed for warmer temperatures and high stress use. Because of this they have very large stable tread blocks that are not good in inclement weather. In addition the rubber compound does not maintain elasticity in cold weather. What this means is that the grip level of the tire degrades drastically in cold temperatures even on dry pavement. In the cold a summer tire becomes unpredictable and feels “slippery” when cornering no matter what the weather. This problem is compounded in wet or snowy conditions.

Plenty of horror stories have been posted of users who have driven with their coupes on summer tires in the winter. I'm pretty sure you can search them out if you like.

Old 11-18-2005, 02:31 PM
Question...

does 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT RIMS (with Brembos). fit 05 Coupe??

Old 11-18-2005, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by G35MC
Question...

does 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT RIMS (with Brembos). fit 05 Coupe??
Yes.

Old 11-18-2005, 08:21 PM
I got Bridgestone Blizzaks the best snow rated tire on the market i have them mounted to stock 04 brembro package rims tires are awesome in the rain so i cant wait till it snows. I tested the tires and rims on the Hunter 9700 wheel machine and i was impressed how perfect theses tires and rims are.....

thats just my suggestion..

Old 11-18-2005, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by G35MC
I wonder about that too, cause I only drive my car to the train station. which's about 2 miles away. maybe on weekends in weather not sure if i need winter tires. plus i have 19 inches rims, and they don't make snow tires for 19 . so I have to buy extra rims.
Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 makes 19" snow tires.

Old 11-19-2005, 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by smokedhen
I was sliding from place to place in the blizzard last year. I don't have much experience driving in snow with a coupe. Last year I swore I would never ever drive in snow with my car.

Are snow tires that much better? If I'm undestanding this, snow tires will help with traction and braking, BUT it won't help if the roads aren't cleared?

I hate how brooklyn does a half *** job cleaning the roads just because it's a small street.
It's simple. With a dusting of snow w/ summer tires you'll slide off the road and not be able to up a 5 degree incline. With winter tires you can even drive in 3-4 inches of snow, although you'll still have to accelerate like a geo metro from a stop.

Old 11-19-2005, 02:48 AM
last winter, i figured "how bad could the G do with the Pilot Sports" in the winter... leaving them on was a SERIOUS mistake. there were multiple occasions where i almost got into serious accidents due to an utter lack of traction.

the most serious was in late jan when i was in manhattan and got caught in a snowstorm... i've never been so terrified on the NJ turnpike in my entire life... couldn't break 15mph without the tail stepping out b/c the road was covered in wet slush, and then i almost got stuck in the EZPass toll.

snow aside, the Pilots do not grip well in low temperatures. they are only rated safely down to around 40 degrees i believe. i have a set of Pirelli SnowSport tires that are going to be mounted on my 18"s this week. i think they cost me around $800ish. those will remain permanently on my stock rims as i have my Lexion rims / Toyo T1S for the warmer months. even tonight coming home on the Toyos i could really feel the lack of grip (it was like 30deg)

as somebody mentioned, take a look at the Bridgeston Blizzak LM22 or LM25... they're high performance winter tires.... TireRack carries them (in OEM sizes i believe) but they sell out real fast.

whew, sorry to be longwinded there. look forward to seeing you at some of the NY area meets in the sprind dude.

Last edited by SI_G35Coupe; 11-19-2005 at 02:53 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: **NYC** Is a WINTER setup necessary?