Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Motordyne Plenum Spacer, Discussion, Dyno Info

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dizz
I scanned the sheets, I need someone to host them.
I can host them, email brian@brianv.net or brian@verenkoff.com and I'll throw them up for you!

Old 02-21-2005, 05:41 PM
DaveB, BrianV,

Great posts and I agree with you two.

Old 02-21-2005, 06:50 PM
The plots and numbers are on this thread.
Clint will be following up with the missing page one of the spacer run.

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...119#post451119

Old 02-21-2005, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by DaveB

"shawns1234" asked questions as to why he was feeling a loss from idle to 5000prms and I offered up my opinion on what it could possibly be. How can that be perceived as negative? I have a very basic understanding of resonnance tuning and laminar flow principles so I applied them accordingly. Truth of the matter is this site is no different from any other automotive based web forum which implies that 90%+ of the members are clueless to automotive performance. All they know is what they read or heard and they don't know the basic principles behind the mods. I'm not trying to act like I know everything (because I don't) nor am I implying that they're idiots because they don't know these things work, but I'd venture to say I understand more about this kind of stuff than 98% of the active members in this forum. I have over 6 years working the VQ series motors and they all respond similiarly to mods whether you want to believe it or not. There's nothing magical going on here with the variances between the motors generations.

No where did I question the dyno methods employed here. NO WHERE. All I stated was that the dynos should be on the same machine, the initial dyno results are showing 5-8hp, and that I'm eagerly awaiting dyno plots to see where the gains are occuring in the curves.

You can't really sit there and say you haven't seen these kinds of posts of "holy crap this mod makes crazy power!!!!" with tons of people buying the mods and then as dynos and 1/4 mile times roll in and people realize that mod didn't do what it was suppose to. I'm not implying that this spacer doesn't work, I'm just offering my experience as to why it may or may not make the gains people are hoping it would or the type of power delivery it offers. I don't see how I should be discredited or banned from posting just because I don't own the mod. Does that really make sense to you? People are not allowed to ask questions or offer insight or opinions? Are you saying we should believe what we read, believe butt dynos, and believe that a gain of 5hp from 5800-6300rpms is going to make a difference in performance?

I really don't understand you logic or you point to bashing me.

If this mod actually elevates the curves 5-8whp, then I'm game to buy it. If it trades lowend power for topend power, I'm passing on it.

Geez- Talk about defensive.

Unlike this guy, I own the mod. Since this is about reviewing the modification in question, I felt the need to post. You guys need to argue in private, and let the people review the mod as intended by the forum title.

Initial Impressions

The item was well-packed with all necessary hardware and instructions.

Installation

Installation was pretty straightforward. The hardest thing to do was remove the torque screws, as I couldn't thread the nuts enough to do the trick read here. A 4mm socket worked well.

Driving impressions

No CHECK ENGINE lights, no problems. I got on the highway and hammered it a few times from 60-100 and came home. Off of stop signs, all the way to highway speeds, my car felt stronger. No downside AT ALL !!

I didn't really notice any difference in sound, just a little more "go"

Summary

If there is a bang-for-the-buck mod, this is it. No downsides, except I will expect all future mods to kick this much a$$.

Luc

Old 02-21-2005, 08:12 PM
Luc, reset your ECU. It makes a world of difference.

Old 02-21-2005, 09:16 PM
I didn't mean to start all of this controversy... haha

Old 02-21-2005, 09:19 PM
I wouldn't call it controversy. It's more like whining.

Old 02-22-2005, 12:10 AM
Dizz your dynos look real good, seems like a worthy mod. Does anyone have a back-to-back dynojet run that we can overlay (it's just easier to look at). Anyone get A/F readings?

Old 02-22-2005, 12:35 AM
Old 02-22-2005, 09:41 AM
Thanks man!

Old 02-24-2005, 07:34 PM
A guy told me today that my likely problem was that I have no other exhaust mods, and the fact that I am bringing in more air without allowing it to go out quicker is why I am having problems. Has anyone installed this spacer on a bone stock 350z and seen any good results?

Old 02-24-2005, 07:59 PM
Do you not read anything else but your own posts?

I had a bone stock G and the 1/2" spacer made at least 8hp on my car.

Last edited by Dizz; 02-24-2005 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Cuz some people just don't read.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:13 PM
I had a bone stock G and the spacer made at least 8hp on my car.

you did the 1/2" spacer...correct?

Old 02-24-2005, 11:00 PM

I had a bone stock G and the 1/2" spacer made at least 8hp on my car.
Actually, no I don't read anything else on this site.. I am only on this site checking out the spacer info since this is where I got in on group buy for my 350. I haven't had much time to search any other threads on here. Sorry to burden you.

Old 02-24-2005, 11:22 PM
shawns1234,

I'm sorry that mod didn't work out for you.

Do you have any plans on upgrading you exhaust? If so, get just a y-pipe. Install it, get used to results and than install spacer again, just for the sake of experiment.

The only mods I had on my sedan prior to installing 3/8" spacer were y-pipe, z-tube and grounding kit. I'm really impressed with the spacer and my observations seem to be in line with what many other people reported. I think stock intake and exhaust are pretty well matched and when upgrading things it is important to try keep that balance.

Good luck.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Motordyne Plenum Spacer, Discussion, Dyno Info