Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Wrather! I'll be getting everything installed here soon and I had a quick question..

Will I need ANYTHING that isn't on your shopping list? I don't want to go in and have them say "You need this cords, cables, and wires" blah blah blah.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:06 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by forestzemel
Hey Wrather! I'll be getting everything installed here soon and I had a quick question..

Will I need ANYTHING that isn't on your shopping list? I don't want to go in and have them say "You need this cords, cables, and wires" blah blah blah.
Just some solder and heatshrink - or wire crimp connectors if you want to do the lazy way. Anybody who tells you to use anything else is having you use wrong or alternate parts that aren't really vetted.

Old 07-02-2016, 11:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Amazing write up! Just wish I didn't crack my clock bezel...

Worked great on my first radio install. Wish I didn't have to replace that POS JVC that Crutchfield sold me. I broke my clock trim the second time around. Anyone know where to pick up a new one?

Old 07-08-2016, 07:54 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have a 2006 g35 sedan. I checked the wires for the backup camera in the d/s kick panel and there is multiple orange wires. How do I know which one?

Old 07-10-2016, 10:23 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by badazzg
I have a 2006 g35 sedan. I checked the wires for the backup camera in the d/s kick panel and there is multiple orange wires. How do I know which one?
Multimeter and check for which goes hot when you stick it in reverse.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:32 PM
I want to give a big thanks, thumbs up and war whoop of gratitude to Wrathernaut for starting and maintaining this thread, and to everyone who's posted useful info in it. I just did the radio/climate control replacement on my 03 g35, and it turned out great. I used the Metra kit and the black matches the dash beautifully. I ran into just a few minor issues that I didn't see addressed anywhere, so I'll list them here.

1. The Metra kit instructions say to use the factory screws to secure the pocket into the trim. The problem is that these screws are too small for the holes and they wouldn't get tight. I replaced them with one size wider screws and it worked fine.

2. The instructions for the Metra kit say to cut out the center plastic piece in order to install a double DIN radio. What the kit doesn't say is to leave a bit of that plastic piece on either side, the width of the double DIN mounting bracket. There's a hole in the brackets that the center plastic piece will fit into, giving the mount extra stability. I cut the piece flush with the side, and I'm not too happy with the security of the mounting brackets in the trim.

3. I used the ASWC-1 and a Kenwood head unit (DDX573BH) and found that when I tried mapping the power button on the steering wheel to either Power or Mute, neither function worked. I didn't try mapping a different button to these functions, so I'm not sure if it's a problem with the button or maybe this head unit doesn't have remote power or mute functions. Any ideas? I've already put the whole thing back together and will probably not take it all apart again just to fix this, but if I need to take it apart again for something else I could address this problem while I'm at it.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:20 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
just buttoned up some of my new radio wiring. I had a hard time like others finding the dimmer wire so i figured id post my solution. Look for the red wire with blue stripe that goes to the heating/cooling controls.

The following users liked this post:
Wrathernaut (07-17-2016)
Old 07-17-2016, 06:09 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by snic09
I want to give a big thanks, thumbs up and war whoop of gratitude to Wrathernaut for starting and maintaining this thread, and to everyone who's posted useful info in it. I just did the radio/climate control replacement on my 03 g35, and it turned out great. I used the Metra kit and the black matches the dash beautifully. I ran into just a few minor issues that I didn't see addressed anywhere, so I'll list them here.

1. The Metra kit instructions say to use the factory screws to secure the pocket into the trim. The problem is that these screws are too small for the holes and they wouldn't get tight. I replaced them with one size wider screws and it worked fine.

2. The instructions for the Metra kit say to cut out the center plastic piece in order to install a double DIN radio. What the kit doesn't say is to leave a bit of that plastic piece on either side, the width of the double DIN mounting bracket. There's a hole in the brackets that the center plastic piece will fit into, giving the mount extra stability. I cut the piece flush with the side, and I'm not too happy with the security of the mounting brackets in the trim.

3. I used the ASWC-1 and a Kenwood head unit (DDX573BH) and found that when I tried mapping the power button on the steering wheel to either Power or Mute, neither function worked. I didn't try mapping a different button to these functions, so I'm not sure if it's a problem with the button or maybe this head unit doesn't have remote power or mute functions. Any ideas? I've already put the whole thing back together and will probably not take it all apart again just to fix this, but if I need to take it apart again for something else I could address this problem while I'm at it.
Thanks for the tips - and yes, it's possible the Kenwood doesn't support mute/power via a wired remote. You'd have to give them a call to find out.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a couple additions to this. I have an 06 coupe with navigation and the wiring was completely different color wise and some location wise. I looked it up in the FSM without issues.

I am not sure if anyone mentioned it but simply reuse the stock GPS antenna if you have it. You will need an adapter: GT5-1PP to whatever your aftermarket systems uses (most likely SMA if an android unit). There should be plenty on eBay from China.

Also, if you're installing a Chinese android unit you won't need the Axxess unit. Those usually simply measure resistance changes so you won't have issues with the SWC.

Kudos to Wrathernaut for making this and keeping it updated over the years.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:26 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I currently have a double din unit installed for about 3 years or so and its worked fine. The gps loads extremely slow but other than that haven't had any issues. I'm looking to change it up and I am intrigued in the Android based units. Anybody have any suggestions on those units. Also my current double din is 7" and motorized so it doesn't sit flush. I want to get a non motorized unit and was wondering what would sit better a 6.2" or a 6.95" screen?

Old 08-13-2016, 02:42 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by SUMBLAKDUDE
I currently have a double din unit installed for about 3 years or so and its worked fine. The gps loads extremely slow but other than that haven't had any issues. I'm looking to change it up and I am intrigued in the Android based units. Anybody have any suggestions on those units. Also my current double din is 7" and motorized so it doesn't sit flush. I want to get a non motorized unit and was wondering what would sit better a 6.2" or a 6.95" screen?
The android units are pretty hit or miss, some are fine, others fail. Inconsistent is pretty much the definition.

Screen size doesn't matter, it's the dimensions of what the unit are that tell how well it fits the opening, and neither of those has anything to do with how flush it is to the surface of the trim. There's instructions on how to drill the OEM radio cage to make the radio flush in the initial trio of posts.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:37 PM
Wrathernaut, I'm so glad to see you are still active! You are basically the main reason I still own my 06 G coupe.

Speaking of the Android double dins, I have one that is absolutely amazing but it wont fit in the Metra dash kit. I was hoping it might work in the JDM one. Do you know the size of the opening? I can't find it listed anywhere. The face of the radio is 7"x4-3/8".

Old 08-25-2016, 02:12 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Neziah
Wrathernaut, I'm so glad to see you are still active! You are basically the main reason I still own my 06 G coupe.

Speaking of the Android double dins, I have one that is absolutely amazing but it wont fit in the Metra dash kit. I was hoping it might work in the JDM one. Do you know the size of the opening? I can't find it listed anywhere. The face of the radio is 7"x4-3/8".
I'll try and get the measurements of the opening tomorrow.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:49 PM
Help please Wrathernaut

I installed a cheap double din it's 60x4w with a 7551 meters harness. The sound is low as I am only able to plug one set of rcas in. I don't think the amp is turning on either. 04 coupe with Bose should I buy the pac roem?
Please help. Thanks in advance

Old 08-25-2016, 08:19 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Paulbranton
I installed a cheap double din it's 60x4w with a 7551 meters harness. The sound is low as I am only able to plug one set of rcas in. I don't think the amp is turning on either. 04 coupe with Bose should I buy the pac roem?
Please help. Thanks in advance
Yes. You should use the recommended parts.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List